Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about Tesla service techs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm a technician by trade that has followed Tesla somewhat, and now that the M3 is coming I will be an owner, whenever the cars make it to the East Coast. I have a few questions about the service techs however. I've read before that the guys are hourly and not flat rate, is that accurate and what kind of range do they see from Entry level to shop foreman? Also, how often are the guys that are at the dealer away on service/ranger calls? Does Tesla provide the tools to the service techs or do they still embrace the old school and make techs provide their own tools? Finally, what is the day to day life like? I see my local center has the normal technician posting and a shop foreman posted and I believe another level between the 2 exists, what is it like for those guys as far as responsibility and hours and such? A breakdown for each would be great. Hopefully my first post isn't too bad of one and I'll be around awhile anxiously awaiting my M3

I wanted to start a new post but let me comment here. I own two Tesla Model S cars. I truly believe that Tesla is in over their head when it comes to being able to service their vehicles. Appointment wait times are beginning to increase to a point where buyers of luxury vehicles will not tolerate. Example: I need to swap out my all season 19" wheel/tires for my summer 21" wheel/tires. Basically put car on lift, take off 19's, and put on the 21's. The next available appointment for this 10 minute job is 3 WEEKS ! Are you kidding me! What will happen when all the Models hit the road ??? This may be Tesla's biggest problem down the road.

Reactions: Tree95 and davidc18
I think the expansion of the dealer network and the addition of technicians will help that. You would be surprised how much it costs to buy and remodel even a service center when you count in the hours you spend training new techs on systems. It just takes time. I honestly wouldnt be surprised to see them take on some more debt to kick start all the expansion as well as speed up Model 3 development due to all the preorders.

Reactions: hcsharp