Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions for 5-Seater Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 5 seater now and have inquired about adding the third row before. I've searched thoroughly online and have asked a few service centers in the Seattle area to no avail. In hindsight, I really really wish I would have gone with a 7 seater. Prior to my model X, I rarely drove with passengers. In the year and a half I've owned it, I've put over 35,000 miles on it and have enjoyed several cross country road trips with friends and family. I wish I had the opportunity on a regular basis to carry 6 more for camping, local trips, and nights out in the town. For me personally, I rarely ever use the extra storage space underneath the floor board. It's nice to have but I would MUCH prefer the option of carrying 2 more.

If anyone wants to trade for my 5 seater MX 100D in the Seattle area.... Hit me up! Would love to find someone local to work something out with.

So the 2nd row on a 5-seater has more leg room than 2nd row 7-seater because the 2nd row mounts further back? Can the 2nd row slide back and forth on the 5th seater? how about on the 7-seater?
Also, why some of you put the bike inside the car rather than using the bike rack and mount on the hitch?
I wish the 3rd bench can be removed like my old Suburban.
Didn't know about the extra air vents/HVAC on the 7-seater. Good point and noted. Regarding the heat on the glass roof, the MS has the all glass roof as well so I would say both are evenly hot in the southern states.
Tossing bike inside is a jiffy quick operation. Not sure it's safer than a rack outside, either can be broken into.

When I was installing my charger in my garage I went shopping few time to an electric hardware store,
and I noticed several contractors having a Tesla Model X instead of a more typical pickup truck or van.

I guess they must had also installed a charger at home or in their shop, and the Tesla become more economical.
and practical, in particular with the towing hitch option allowing getting a trailer to carry larger ladders or conducts.

Also, why some of you put the bike inside the car rather than using the bike rack and mount on the hitch?

If my wife and I do a destination weekend ride together, we will use the rack. She also uses the rack when she takes her bike camping.

But most of the time, she likes to ride her bike on a trail that is her way home from work. In addition to being more work to put the rack on the car and then put the bike on the rack (the X barely fits in our garage or her work parking spots now; we don't want to leave the rack on all the time; the rack also messes up the rear sensors) that means her bike would be sitting out on the rack all day. So then she would have to lock it to the rack, remove all the removable parts, and hope coworkers don't back in to her car and it doesn't rain...so she finds it far easier on work days to set the bike in the back of the X.

I own a five seater and yes the second row seat is fixed.
We traded our S for an X. The S is beautiful from the outside but the X is much better from the inside looking out even for those in the second row. Your driving time is spent inside not outside the vehicle.

Before buying the 5 seat version, we tried the 6 seat layout, it felt like we were in a bus. A sea of head rests looking back and too much storage room lost to all the seats in the 6 and 7 seat versions.

Many have criticized the falcon wing doors as a gimmick but moving infants and toddlers in and out is easier than any sedan and most minivans etc. ingress and egress for adults in the second row is easier too because the opening is taller.

Short of a helicopter nothing beats the visibility from the front seat of an X. In 20k miles of mostly trips to the SW, we have only used the front sun screen twice. Most of the objections voiced regarding heat and sun are minimal once you hit the road.

Remember you see the world looking out not looking at the car.