Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions for Canadians

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Canadians!

i have a few questions for all you Tesla experts.

Delivery:
My reservation number is 575. Any idea what that means? Are there now regular Canadian deliveries? I haven't yet decided on a battery size, but will probably go for the 60kW. Will that have an impact on when the car is delivered? Is there any way to predict when my car might arrive?

Configuration:
So far I plan to get the air suspension, 19" tires, basic sound system, and twin chargers. I'm undecided about the tech package. I have good nav on my iPhone so duplicating that seems unnecessary. If I do get the tech package with the fancy Nav, will I need another cell data subscription? My family already has 3. I don't know what Xenon headlights do, other than shine a light. I can't believe that if I don't get the tech package, I will have to find my old garage door clicker. Is this true? I can cope with manually opening the back and the door handles. Does anyone think that future software updates will make the tech package more useful?

What about the supercharger option? Will it make a difference for resale? Anyone know if Tesla has any significant plans for stations in Ontario? Most of my long weekend driving is for family vacations in the summer. We usually tow our ski boat and take our ICE SUV. I only occasionally take my car (currently a Prius now), for long trips. The supercharger option seems unnecessary, except that it can't be added later. I'm in Toronto.

Wall charger:
I plan on getting the Tesla twin charger option. Is the $1000 Ontario provincial grant applicable? Who installs this? Any suggestions?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks.

Delivery: it's not exactly clear what 575 means, since they will be interleaving with US deliveries. I think everyone with a reservation will have theirs by summer. A better indication is when did you reserve?

Battery Size: Won't matter if your delivery is March or later. If you had a February delivery it would slow you down - but I doubt you do.

Tech Package: The built-in nav is superior to the iPhone, and is likely to improve further. Tesla hasn't told us yet what the annual subscription will cost for 3G. You might be able to tether it to your phone... still up in the air. The Xenon headlights are brighter than the regular ones - better visibility. My Roadster had regular headlights at first and they were so bad I later upgraded them to Xenon at significant cost. Having not seen the Model S "regular" headlights I can't offer an opinion on them. Yes, you need the tech package to get the door clicker. On the bright side it's very nicely implemented - it pops up automatically when you pull into your driveway. I wouldn't bet on Tesla adding features at this point - no guarantees there. They will definitely refine features that are already there.

Supercharger: Tesla will be installing superchargers along the 401 corridor. Don't know when that will happen. Will be very nice when it does!

Wall charger: from what I've seen of the Ontario grant it appears it does apply. Any electrician can install it, but get several quotes. When I had my Roadster HPC installed I got four quotes - some of these guys thought "expensive electric car" and pushed the price through the roof. One guy wanted $7000! LOL!!!!

Lazman, you are not far behind me. I reserved late November (493) and was asked to configure Jan 15 with a delivery window of March/April. I too, have a Prius. Can't wait. Get the tech package! Longshot question: Is your surname initial "K"?

The built-in nav is superior to the iPhone, and is likely to improve further.

A lot of automotive writers suggest that portable and smartphone nav can be better than built-in mainly because you can update more easily.This is where Tesla may have an advantage over traditional auto companies whose nav systems will remain static for the life of the car (save for map updates).

I love the nav system in my Cadillac and Tesla's looks equally as good. Tesla's can only get better with updates and improvements.

Having said that, I bought the TomTom app (all off-line maps included) for my iPhone and love it when I travel. (There is a Garmin app as well). Works just as well as a top of the line TomTom stand-alone unit and requires no data connection to work.

@HUT: Non-perf 85 pano, tech, air, twin chargers - yes quicker than I expected - less than 2 months from reservation to configure invitation and now 2-3 months estimate until delivery.
Surge, when did you finalize your order?

The website will provide you with a delivery window of March/April after your signed documents were accepted?

@Surge, Good to see more Model S owners in Alberta. Hopefully this will help get some public charging stations in the Edmonton-Red Deer- Calgary corridor.
Are you aware of any that are in operation in the Red Deer area ?

@Surge, Good to see more Model S owners in Alberta. Hopefully this will help get some public charging stations in the Edmonton-Red Deer- Calgary corridor.
Are you aware of any that are in operation in the Red Deer area ?

@Zapped - not aware about Red Deer charging, although I've seen something on Sun Country Highway map. I expect delivery in March/April. From my perspective, I'd be interested in Banff, Calgary and Edmonton as possible public charging spots. I'll probably look into it more once I've had the car for a while. I ordered 85kwh which should be good for a round trip to Edmonton or Calgary in the summer but perhaps a little less certain in the winter.
Eagerly anticipating delivery...
I see St. Albert is on board for supporting EV's.

Surge, when did you finalize your order?

The website will provide you with a delivery window of March/April after your signed documents were accepted?

@Hut: I was notified to finalize on Jan 15 and got it done and documents electronically signed by January 17. I think the gave me the March/April window when the sent me the finalize e-mail as long as I completed the documents by about Feb 12. I was in no mood to wait that long!