Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions from a potential P3D owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds good. My garage door openers are basic Craftsman units that came with the house. They work, so not currently on the list of things to replace.

I have 24 year old Craftsman garage door openers, and they work fine with the Homelink and auto open/close on the Model 3.

The GPS for the auto open/close is apparently very accurate. If I pull up to the garage door next to the one I have the auto open/close set up on, the garage door doesn't automatically open despite the car only being about 10' to the side of where it usually is.[/QUOTE]

A credit card don't have any battery, just an NFC antenna. So it's the NFC "receptacle" (the device where you put your credit card against to), who sends a microwave radio signal strong enough to energize the card.

The Tesla key fob use Bluetooth but is activated only when you press one the buttons. It is not listening like a smartphone, so it doesn't provide proximity detection.

The Model 3 keycard uses passive RFID. It's similar to the NFC in a credit card, so I'd be very surprised if it wasn't allowed at your work.

Thanks, based off these descriptions I agree, I think it would be just fine.

As of version 2019.8.3, the problem of the USB music not picking up from where it left off is fixed. Yeah!

Cool. Any pictures of what the interface looks like when using USB? I haven't seen that in any of the video reviews I've seen, they just show the streaming radio. I have a test drive scheduled later this month so I'll play with it then regardless. I wasn't able to drive a P3D last weekend because they moved their demo car into the showroom after one sold.

T Any pictures of what the interface looks like when using USB? I haven't seen that in any of the video reviews I've seen, they just show the streaming radio. I have a test drive scheduled later this month so I'll play with it then regardless. I wasn't able to drive a P3D last weekend because they moved their demo car into the showroom after one sold.
Don't have a picture, but basically there is a favourites and recent selector. When playing it just appears to be a play/back/next selection with the album cover and a heart to make that song a favourite. The selector gives a list of songs with alphabetic selection. You can also choose to view albums.

Cool. Any pictures of what the interface looks like when using USB? I haven't seen that in any of the video reviews I've seen, they just show the streaming radio. I have a test drive scheduled later this month so I'll play with it then regardless. I wasn't able to drive a P3D last weekend because they moved their demo car into the showroom after one sold.
Here you go. The first picture is of the initial screen showing you the various options of finding and selecting your music. Songs, Artists, Albums, and Genres use the tags on your music files, Folders goes by how you have the music organized on your USB flash drive. The vertical alphabet on the right is to jump to your selection in the current list. I typically use the Folders option since I haven't bothered to clean up the tags on most of the music that I've ripped from my CDs. The top left is just showing what is currently playing which was a Tunein radio channel I had been listening to.

The second picture is what it looks like when you're actually playing something, in this case an album that I selected. It shows the cover art, song name, artist, and track name with a bar underneath showing the progress through the track being played. The icons to the right of that are jump backwards a track, pause, jump forwards a track, shuffle, repeat, mark favorites, and the icon on the right with the sliders is for the equalizer. You can also jump to any part of the track by tapping on the progress bar at the point you want to go to. Below the controls, it shows the tracks on the album with a speaker symbol next to what is being played and the track time. You can also tap on a track that you want to play and it will jump to that track.

The interface seems pretty typical to me; not terribly sophisticated, but more than adequate and clearly laid out.

USBInitalScreen.jpg
PlayingAlbum.jpg

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SOAR