Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick 4-month new MY report

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my MYP now for 10,500 miles and 9 months. Even though I drive the wide streets of Phoenix, Arizona, I've still managed to curb rash all four wheels within the first few months. I put that down partially to the wide turning circle of the model Y. Haven't hit a curb in a few months now so I must be getting used to it, but it's disappointing.

I have very few complaints about the car, especially after getting used to the controls. And especially after learning a lot of verbal commands so I don't have to menu-dive. I have no rattles, no panel gaps, no weird quality issues. On the one hand I love the performance, and on the other hand I love the extreme practicality and space for 'stuff'. It's a great blend and compromise. It drives pretty well, but I'd love to have a new M3P for more sporty drives.

On the other hand, I'm becoming addicted to FSD 12.3. I use it a lot, and I've subscribed to it. When the car drives me, I feel much much less aggressive, and it seems ok to have lots of other cars passing me. Using FSD means NOT sporty driving, and I'm OK with that. FSD does the boring stuff and I do the rest.

I don't need more range with one exception since the Supercharger stations are well-sited out west. The exception is traveling across the Navajo reservation to Colorado via Four Corners. That's just plain too far, and it seems like it may be 5-10 years before a public DC fast charger goes in anywhere on the rez. NEVI funding may kick in to provide something, somewhere.
+1. I feel I’ve become a much more chill driver even when not using one of the assists. I have it in sport but even then, it’s so easy to modulate the car, where with most gas cars if it’s an automatic it’s a chore to brake, and if it’s a manual then it kind of wants you to race it a little. It also doesn’t hurt that I can out accelerate most other cars when I really need to…

Reactions: Peter N
The MY has everything that people reported above, but the M3 is just so damn cute.

71407673890__3C1FFA86-5614-4208-9DE7-A5F1D139C4F2.JPG

Reactions: primedive
I've had my MYLR for 6 months, and I could not be more pleased with it. I am enjoying it more than any of the 18 cars we've previously owned. Of course the jury is still out until I have some sense of the long term reliability, but so far very good.

Reactions: SteelClouds
So, just in case anyone is wondering whether the move to EV was a good one, here's a way to test your thinking: hire a Nissan Quashqai (other hire cars are available) for a few days (petrol, manual).

NOTE: I can only compare this to my MYP as its the only EV I've driven so some of my thoughts are ICE vs EV, others more specifically ICE vs Tesla.

I was going to list all the things I found frustrating but decided instead to summarise as:
  • What the hell are all of these buttons, knobs and stalks for? The steering wheel itself has what must be 20 different buttons and scroll wheels, and I think it was 3 stalks. Even then, the horrible little screen in the centre is where you go for many of the functions (OK, there may be shortcuts to some of those on the steering wheel). And don't ask me how many more buttons and knobs there on that unit. Then you look down at the centre console and there's even more - a handbrake button, hold button, etc, etc. We couldn't for the life of us get the car to link Carplay to my iPhone, wireless or wired. It felt cramped. Even the doors have I don't know how many buttons - windows, locks, etc, etc
  • To cap it all I had to go to one of those petrol station things to stick 30 litres of highly combustible fossil fuel into a tank just beneath my kids' seats! And they insisted I pay for that :)
I'm not for one second suggesting the Tesla is perfect. I'm not pretending to know if it's the best EV. But the feeling of getting back into our car really did settle the argument (for us) as to whether EV or ICE is better.

Your transition from the M3 to the MY sounds like it's been a real treat! It's awesome to hear that the white interior is getting so much love from you and your family. White does look sharp, but it can be a challenge to keep pristine, especially with everyday use.

For those pristine white seats of yours, you might want to consider some protection to keep them looking fresh. TESERY has some Tesla Model Y White Seat Covers that could be a great addition. They're designed to preserve the beauty of your interior while adding an extra layer of defense against life's little spills and scuffs. Keep enjoying that new MY, and thanks for sharing your experience with us!