Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick way to Mute Navigation voice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3 / Y, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Ok, Let me start by saying I did RTFM, and also did search the forum but did not see an answer to this. I feel stupid but am going to ask anyway.

I am looking for a quick way to mute (or unmute) the navigation voice. On my BMW I could set the "navigation voice" to a quick access button under the radio (what people think of as radio presets in a BMW are actually shortcut buttons).

I know, I know, this is not a BMW, just laying out how I did it there.

In the manual, on 104 it says:

"Increase or decrease the voule of spoken navigation instructions by touching - or + respectively. Decreasing all the way to the left mutes the instructions. You can also mute navigation instructions when a navigation route is active by touching the volume icon on the turn by turn direction list."

(bold emphasis mine).

I get the first part. I can turn down navigation volume by clicking settings, and pushing the "-" key all the way down to mute it. Not something I particularly want to do while driving. What I am trying to find is the bolded instruction. When I start navigation to "a place" using the navigation, I see the turn by turn instructions on the left side of the screen. I know I can pull those instructions down to show the route turn by turn instructions. For the life of me, I see no icon that looks like a volume icon (something that would look like a speaker) on the turn by turn list. That icon sounds like it would work for what I want which is a quick way to silence navigation lady but still have navigation route active.

What am I missing here? any direction as to where that icon is would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

On the S, you press the cog icon at the bottom, and you get a panel with a slider and a mute icon...

screen-cid-2018-10-07-19.07.42.jpg

Thanks for replying. I am pretty sure I saw a cog on the turn by turn list (car is getting tinted right now so cant check this second as its at the shop). The manual made it sound like the volume icon would be "ON" the turn by turn list, not inside a setting menu in the turn by turn list.

I will have to check and see if its in the same place on the model 3 as in your S (I suspect it is). Not the end of the world, but would be nice if it was actually on the list somewhere instead of having to go into settings menu. Driving with a touch screen interface for everything is a bit hard to get used to. Trying to find shortcuts to as many things as possible to prevent digging in menus while driving lol.

@renambot

The speaker icon is in the same place on the Model 3 (thanks again for taking the time to take a pic of the location. This works, I just had the impression from the manual that there was a volume icon in the turn by turn list, not the turn by turn list settings menu.

Thanks again!

Reactions: renambot
Here’s a different way to get to mute. It’s not a one-button approach; but can be done from steering wheel. While the nav voice is “speaking”; use the volume wheel on steering wheel to quickly lower volume to mute. It has to be done while nav voice is “speaking”; otherwise the wheel adjusts the audio content volume.

Thanks, after you mentioned that, I remembered reading that in the manual as well. Thats similar to how smart phones work to adjust "whats playing" at the time so that might work too.

Ok, Let me start by saying I did RTFM, and also did search the forum but did not see an answer to this. I feel stupid but am going to ask anyway.

I am looking for a quick way to mute (or unmute) the navigation voice. On my BMW I could set the "navigation voice" to a quick access button under the radio (what people think of as radio presets in a BMW are actually shortcut buttons).

I know, I know, this is not a BMW, just laying out how I did it there.

In the manual, on 104 it says:

"Increase or decrease the voule of spoken navigation instructions by touching - or + respectively. Decreasing all the way to the left mutes the instructions. You can also mute navigation instructions when a navigation route is active by touching the volume icon on the turn by turn direction list."

(bold emphasis mine).

I get the first part. I can turn down navigation volume by clicking settings, and pushing the "-" key all the way down to mute it. Not something I particularly want to do while driving. What I am trying to find is the bolded instruction. When I start navigation to "a place" using the navigation, I see the turn by turn instructions on the left side of the screen. I know I can pull those instructions down to show the route turn by turn instructions. For the life of me, I see no icon that looks like a volume icon (something that would look like a speaker) on the turn by turn list. That icon sounds like it would work for what I want which is a quick way to silence navigation lady but still have navigation route active.

What am I missing here? any direction as to where that icon is would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I seem to recall that the audio icon was there in v8. in V9 it was moved into the gear settings menu. I think.....