Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quiet Cool questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do the thermostats on these things work?

If it's 107 outside the fan could run constantly and never get the attic down to the desired temp.
Conversely, if it's 95 in the attic, how does it know that the outside temp is colder?

They ( quiet cool fans) are not connected to your thermostat, and do not turn on and off automatically. They require at least one window open to function so they are not an automatic thing.

You get a remote control type thing to turn it on, but in order to operate it, you will always have to open a window first. Your attic will always be hotter than the rest of the home, so in general you would be pulling in cooler air outside when its cooler, and letting it do its thing.

They ( quiet cool fans) are not connected to your thermostat, and do not turn on and off automatically. They require at least one window open to function so they are not an automatic thing.

You get a remote control type thing to turn it on, but in order to operate it, you will always have to open a window first. Your attic will always be hotter than the rest of the home, so in general you would be pulling in cooler air outside when its cooler, and letting it do its thing.
There are models with a thermostat listed, I think the one I saw was more like a set screw to a certain temp.
How do these work?

There are models with a thermostat listed, I think the one I saw was more like a set screw to a certain temp.
How do these work?

Those might be gable attic fans they sell, not the type of fan that most of us they are talking about in this thread. I would suggest getting in contact with one of the companies that install them for questions specific to your desired setup, but the whole home fans discussed in this thread are not connected to a thermostat.

EDIT: I think the confusion here might be in the fact that there are two different things that quietcool (and other manufacturers) make:

1. Attic fan
2. Whole home fan that is installed in an Attic.

The "Attic fan" is not an "whole home fan" even though both are installed in the attic. I believe the "Attic Fan" is attached to a vent gable, and has a thermostat to turn itself on if the attic reaches a certain temperature... bit this fan is NOT the whole home fan, and doesnt provide cooling in the home itself other than lowering the temperature of the attic.

The "whole home fan" is installed in the attic, but a grate / vent is installed in the ceiling, with a duct to the fan. The "whole home fan" is installed in an attic but is designed to pull air from the home into the attic (with an open window to provide air into the home). This fan does not have a thermostat, and is manually (with remote or wall switch) turned on. It also serves as an attic fan, but slightly different since it forces air into the attic, which then fills the attic with air, which then flows out the attic vent to the outside.

The "attic fan" product just attaches to a home gable, and sucks air from the attic to outside. There is no pulling air from the home into the attic. You can actually install both the "attic fan" and whole home fan" in the same attic if you have a gable vent, and desire maximum airflow.

With all that being said, the whole home fan does not have a thermostat.

Last edited:
If someone wanted to do a DIY project they could make an automated whole house fan system. They would need a whole house fan, thermostat, and a servo operated louver/air handler.
The air handler would need to be connected to an outside air source and commanded open when the whole house fan was running. Or perhaps even just opening with a pressure differential but that may cause other problems.
I considered doing something like this using cooler air from underneath the house but I was concerned about the musty smell of the air.

If someone wanted to do a DIY project they could make an automated whole house fan system. They would need a whole house fan, thermostat, and a servo operated louver/air handler.
The air handler would need to be connected to an outside air source and commanded open when the whole house fan was running. Or perhaps even just opening with a pressure differential but that may cause other problems.
I considered doing something like this using cooler air from underneath the house but I was concerned about the musty smell of the air.

Sure, it could be done, but part of what makes these quietcool (or similar) whole home fans so effective is the fact that you can basically direct the airflow to the room that needs it, by simply opening the appropriate window. I open a window in my family room behind me in the evening when I turn it on, to get the breeze effect of the cooler air.

Sometimes, if I dont want the wind blowing directly on me, I open a different window in the family room instead. It still pulls the air upstairs through the vents, but the air isnt blowing on me.

I always open windows in my master bedroom upstairs to get that room cooler for when I am ready to go to bed.

An automated system wont be bringing the air from the room you are trying to cool. This is one case where automation probably would make it worse, rather than better. It could definitely be done, but unless one was only trying to cool one room, and made a vent to the outside from that one room...

shrug.. lol

Sure, it could be done, but part of what makes these quietcool (or similar) whole home fans so effective is the fact that you can basically direct the airflow to the room that needs it, by simply opening the appropriate window. I open a window in my family room behind me in the evening when I turn it on, to get the breeze effect of the cooler air.

Sometimes, if I dont want the wind blowing directly on me, I open a different window in the family room instead. It still pulls the air upstairs through the vents, but the air isnt blowing on me.

I always open windows in my master bedroom upstairs to get that room cooler for when I am ready to go to bed.

An automated system wont be bringing the air from the room you are trying to cool. This is one case where automation probably would make it worse, rather than better. It could definitely be done, but unless one was only trying to cool one room, and made a vent to the outside from that one room...

shrug.. lol

I agree but if someone wanted to go full tilt and automate opening of windows it could be kind of cool ::::bad joke drum noise goes here::: but would be an interesting project. My installer asked if I wanted to go RF or wifi. I went RF since it didn't seem like the wifi app had that much more control, I can add more RF remotes without messing around with getting people on the account etc.

Oh I just put up an EcoBee smart thermostat sensor in my attic space to collect some data prior to the install, i'll be curious to see the effects!

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Does the combination of an attic fan (to remove hot air during the day when the WHF is not running) with a WHF make sense, if you are looking for maximum reduction in electricity usage?

We have concrete shingles, and it makes the attic HOT during the day in the summer (when the outside temp is above the inside temp, and we would not be able to run a WHF).

Going to be installing a WHF, just debating on if an attic fan (non-gable style) is worth it or not.

Does the combination of an attic fan (to remove hot air during the day when the WHF is not running) with a WHF make sense, if you are looking for maximum reduction in electricity usage?

We have concrete shingles, and it makes the attic HOT during the day in the summer (when the outside temp is above the inside temp, and we would not be able to run a WHF).

Going to be installing a WHF, just debating on if an attic fan (non-gable style) is worth it or not.

I think the combination of an attic fan and a whole home fan can work, provided you have enough venting for both. I am unfamiliar with non gable attic fans however, so have no opinion on whether a non gable attic fan combines well with these whole home fans.

TBH I wanted both as well (attic fan and whole home fan) for the exact reason you specify, but I dont have a gable, and did not want to go through with getting more venting put into my roof when I finally decided to buy the quietcool.

The vendor said "buy the quiet cool, see how you like it, and if you still feel like you need more, then you would want to contact a roofer to work with them on on venting or possible roof vented attic fans since you dont have gables"

I have been very happy with just the fan so far. If its cool overnight, I run the fan overnight, so the attic is full of cold air. I am sure it heats up, but much later than it normally does.. with "regular" summer tempts its usually warm upstairs by 6pm or so, which is right around when I start opening windows to run the quietcool. I dont think I am going to worry about adding an attic fan to supplement the quietcool, but I know its possible.

• Informative
Reactions: bkp_duke
I think the combination of an attic fan and a whole home fan can work, provided you have enough venting for both. I am unfamiliar with non gable attic fans however, so have no opinion on whether a non gable attic fan combines well with these whole home fans.

TBH I wanted both as well (attic fan and whole home fan) for the exact reason you specify, but I dont have a gable, and did not want to go through with getting more venting put into my roof when I finally decided to buy the quietcool.

The vendor said "buy the quiet cool, see how you like it, and if you still feel like you need more, then you would want to contact a roofer to work with them on on venting or possible roof vented attic fans since you dont have gables"

I have been very happy with just the fan so far. If its cool overnight, I run the fan overnight, so the attic is full of cold air. I am sure it heats up, but much later than it normally does.. with "regular" summer tempts its usually warm upstairs by 6pm or so, which is right around when I start opening windows to run the quietcool. I dont think I am going to worry about adding an attic fan to supplement the quietcool, but I know its possible.

Thanks, I was thinking along those lines.

I'm not very excited about an additional cut in my ceiling for another duct (we have 4 already for the AC units). Wonder if it is possible integrate it into the existing ducts+vents . . .

also chiming in. I have the largest QC fan and echo the consensus. Works great to pull in cool outside air. I will typically open a bedroom window on the first floor. the QC fan vent is on the 2nd floor above the bedroom. The QC fan will pull cold air from the NW bedroom to the S side of the house where the stairway is, then across the 2nd floor in the opposite direction S to N. Will cool down the house quickly depending on how cool the outside air is but the amount of air it moves is great. If I don't have enough windows open when on high, I'll see the glass doors of the chimney open a bit.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Thanks, I was thinking along those lines.

I'm not very excited about an additional cut in my ceiling for another duct (we have 4 already for the AC units). Wonder if it is possible integrate it into the existing ducts+vents . . .

It comes with its own duct, that fits between joists. I had the same thought but the install only took an hour, and the duct absolutely looks like it belongs there. I dont think they tie into existing ductwork, because the duct connects directly to the fan.

What outside air temperature do you look for in order to open your windows and use the WHF?

Lately the issue has been that it's still too hot outside when I go to bed to open the windows, I'm asleep when the outside air temp gets low enough to justify running the WHF and by the time my kids and I are awake I get maybe 1-2 hours of running the fan. With that I only get about 1-2 degree drop in my inside temperature.

What outside air temperature do you look for in order to open your windows and use the WHF?

Lately the issue has been that it's still too hot outside when I go to bed to open the windows, I'm asleep when the outside air temp gets low enough to justify running the WHF and by the time my kids and I are awake I get maybe 1-2 hours of running the fan. With that I only get about 1-2 degree drop in my inside temperature.

For me personally, I am looking for Outside temperature < Inside temperature. I keep my thermostat set to 80-81 though, and if I know the evenings will be cool, even higher. I try to avoid running AC during the day if I know the evening is going to get cool (just wife and I in our home, empty nesters here). So, inside can be 82 or 83 by the evening, but it normally cools down where we are, so when its mid 70s outside I will turn it on.

I'm reading about a WiFi smart controller for the Quiet Cool fans that would enable smart app functionality. Is this a future option or something currently available?

WiFi Smart Control Archives | QuietCool

I believe they have that now (ability to control it with an app) but the vendor I used shied me away from that because he said it was very buggy. The other option is an RF remote control type device (looks like a wall outlet control, actually). He said that those were rock solid, and recommended it instead of the wifi control. I went with his recommendation (even though I love wifi enabled devices... my home network has like 49 devices on it and its just me and my wife here). Its been very solid in starting when I push the button and stopping when I turn it off, which is basically all I needed since there isnt an easy way to automate it anyway as I mentioned above.

• Informative
Reactions: Dukeybootie
I believe they have that now (ability to control it with an app) but the vendor I used shied me away from that because he said it was very buggy. The other option is an RF remote control type device (looks like a wall outlet control, actually). He said that those were rock solid, and recommended it instead of the wifi control. I went with his recommendation (even though I love wifi enabled devices... my home network has like 49 devices on it and its just me and my wife here). Its been very solid in starting when I push the button and stopping when I turn it off, which is basically all I needed since there isnt an easy way to automate it anyway as I mentioned above.

Very similar to my installer's recommendations. I asked if they had any API access or anything and he said they are very strongly against that. They very intentionally don't want it tied to smart thermostats, smart houses, etc. They have a concern the system will turn on the system without windows/doors being adequately opened automatically.

shrug.. lol
I have an open floor plan so the whole house gets cooled off when the WHF is running. Most people are home in the evening are so, I agree, it isn't a big deal to open the windows when it is cool enough. But sometimes it doesn't cool off enough before I go to bed so I run the AC at night and run the WHF in the morning (if it cooled off enough). This is where an automated system would be useful.

Having said that, once the outside temperature is cooler than the inside temperature the AC is more efficient and doesn't need to run very long to keep the house cool. The amount of savings would be minimal for the few times it doesn't cool down enough.

Seriously considering the QC for my 2800sq ft SoCal home... From what I've read I am in the ideal area where it gets hot during the day 90-100F(at times) but 60-75F at night. In addition, I am considering purchasing a smaller version for one of my rooms that is notoriously hotter than others (builder, when under warranty, checked and claimed all was well- BS)

I have an "open floor plan" so my entry is all open to the second floor with 20ft high ceiling, with the small room size in my daughter's room. Cost-wise, what can one expect for a pro installation? I am more than capable of doing a DIY, however, I'm wondering if the wholesaler fans are better then the DIY ones that are available for purchase via websites?

I
Seriously considering the QC for my 2800sq ft SoCal home... From what I've read I am in the ideal area where it gets hot during the day 90-100F(at times) but 60-75F at night. In addition, I am considering purchasing a smaller version for one of my rooms that is notoriously hotter than others (builder, when under warranty, checked and claimed all was well- BS)

I have an "open floor plan" so my entry is all open to the second floor with 20ft high ceiling, with the small room size in my daughter's room. Cost-wise, what can one expect for a pro installation? I am more than capable of doing a DIY, however, I'm wondering if the wholesaler fans are better then the DIY ones that are available for purchase via websites?

I dont know what they charge for installation, because when I was looking around for who would install mine, all the pricing was "includes installation". Since I was not interested in trying to DIY it at all, that worked for me. The only issue I can think of with a split system (I believe thats what they call the whole home fan installs with more than 1 fan) is having enough roof venting to be able to operate both at the same time.

As it was explained to me (and it makes sense), if you dont have enough roof venting in your roof venting system, what happens is the air has to go "somewhere". If there is more volume of air than can flow through the vents, it will start to flow down the inside of the walls, etc... because its air and obviously will continue to flow. This could push hot air downstairs, or into rooms that you dont want it.

So, if you are considering 2 fans, you definitely want to at least chat with an experienced installer company who can help you size the fans "appropriately" and let you know if they think you have enough venting.

I mentioned who I used a few times, but didnt post it. I used a company called "quietcoolguys" which can be found at:

https://wholehousefanexperts.com/

They happen to be based in the city where I live ( temecula) but it appears to me they have install crews all around southern cali. They basically install these things all day, every day. My install took like 1 hour from walking in, to walking out (lol) and they put down floor covering in the appropriate places etc.

I would recommend at least checking them out as you look around for who to get quotes from. All the pricing seemed to be similar. I do also think there is a slightly different version for DIY vs the pro install.

Also, just as information, there are other companies that make similar whole home fans. Quiet cool is the biggest brand name in these things I think, but there are others, who either move a bit more air, or are more DIY, etc etc.

Reactions: bkp_duke
This thread reminds me of the whole house fan we had when I was growing up in Michigan. One night my father turned it on. It must have been in the fall/Indian summer unusual heat spell. Well, the fan sucked the ashes from the fireplace (before we got the glass doors) into the family room and all over the furniture. Funny now. Not so funny then, especially for my mother!