Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quiet riding, excellent wear rating tires for the summer (but NOT Z-rated tires)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SilverGS

Nov 3, 2016
Ontario
I'm in the market to buy new tires and the most important criteria to me are:
  1. Quiet riding
  2. Excellent wear rating
I will be using the tires in the summer months only, however I am NOT interested in Z rated tires as that automatically conflicts with my second requirement above.

Sizes are 255/35/20 and 295/30/20

I've been on a few tire sites, read a whole lot of reviews, but it's still hard to settle on a specific brand/model of tire. So I wanted to get some other opinions based on your experience. These tires will be going on my 2016 Tesla Model S 75D. I know that I will experience some rubbing in reverse on full steering lock from the front tires, and I'm ok with that.

TIA!

I'm in the market to buy new tires and the most important criteria to me are:
  1. Quiet riding
  2. Excellent wear rating
I will be using the tires in the summer months only, however I am NOT interested in Z rated tires as that automatically conflicts with my second requirement above.

Sizes are 255/35/20 and 295/30/20

I've been on a few tire sites, read a whole lot of reviews, but it's still hard to settle on a specific brand/model of tire. So I wanted to get some other opinions based on your experience. These tires will be going on my 2016 Tesla Model S 75D. I know that I will experience some rubbing in reverse on full steering lock from the front tires, and I'm ok with that.

TIA!

I had Michelin Pilot sport 4S with the acoustic foam on my old 2014 p85, and they had a wear rating of 300 and were very smooth and quiet. Not as quiet as the ContiSport 5p but the contis had a horrible wear rating of 220. I had the Michelins on for a year with the car lowered and on spacers, so the rear camber was pretty far out of spec and the tire shop still measured the tires at 8mm all around and no uneven wear. If you want something a little less sport, you can go with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 which is the a/s versions of the 4S and from what I have heard they are more tailored towards a better ride quality and quietness. Those will probably have a much higher tread rating too!

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
I'm pretty happy with my A/S 3+ so far after about 2500 miles. They're not as quiet as the MXM4s they replaced, but they don't howl like a performance tire either. Not sure if they're available in your sizes though.

Note that the UTQG treadwear rating is not really comparable among brands. You can kind of use it, but there is no universal standard. It's used to compare treadwear ratings between tires of the same manufacturer. For reference, the 4S as pabla stated is 300, the A/S 3+ is 500, and the MXM4s is also 500. Some people say they actually get more mileage out of the A/S 3+ than the MXM4s, though the A/S 3+ offers a lot more grip.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS and pabla
I'm pretty happy with my A/S 3+ so far after about 2500 miles. They're not as quiet as the MXM4s they replaced, but they don't howl like a performance tire either. Not sure if they're available in your sizes though.

Note that the UTQG treadwear rating is not really comparable among brands. You can kind of use it, but there is no universal standard. It's used to compare treadwear ratings between tires of the same manufacturer. For reference, the 4S as pabla stated is 300, the A/S 3+ is 500, and the MXM4s is also 500. Some people say they actually get more mileage out of the A/S 3+ than the MXM4s, though the A/S 3+ offers a lot more grip.

Totally agree, some tires have a huge drop out in performance when they wear down. You can only get a slight idea of tread life with the rating

FWIW, I run 245/40/20 (square setup) with no issues on 20x9 +35 wheels. There really isn't much in the way of curb protection with a 245 on a 9 inch wheel, but I wouldn't call it a crazy stretch either. People told me I would have slight rubbing in reverse at full lock. Maybe I did for the first few hundred miles, but I haven't noticed it recently.

FWIW, I run 245/40/20 (square setup) with no issues on 20x9 +35 wheels. There really isn't much in the way of curb protection with a 245 on a 9 inch wheel, but I wouldn't call it a crazy stretch either. People told me I would have slight rubbing in reverse at full lock. Maybe I did for the first few hundred miles, but I haven't noticed it recently.
Are the 19 inch slipstreams 8.5 inches wide?

No, they are 8” wide
729EB110-8C0E-4095-9C12-DF2E4D5032DF.jpeg

• Informative
So, I am in the same boat looking at my 2nd replacement tires for my 2017 75S. I have had the Goodyear Eagle Tourings and they are quite and the 2nd set has gone 2+ years/20K miles but Discount Tire says they can no longer get them in. So looking at
Eagle Exhilarate; 245 /45 R19 102Y XL VSB (https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/goodyear-eagle-exhilarate/p/42222) and have also seen good reviews on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus; 245 /45 R19 98Y SL BSW as well.

Like the title of this thread, looking for Quiet Riding and Excellent Treadwear. Any thoughts here?

So, I am in the same boat looking at my 2nd replacement tires for my 2017 75S. I have had the Goodyear Eagle Tourings and they are quite and the 2nd set has gone 2+ years/20K miles but Discount Tire says they can no longer get them in. So looking at
Eagle Exhilarate; 245 /45 R19 102Y XL VSB (https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/goodyear-eagle-exhilarate/p/42222) and have also seen good reviews on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus; 245 /45 R19 98Y SL BSW as well.

Like the title of this thread, looking for Quiet Riding and Excellent Treadwear. Any thoughts here?
Based on feedback on this thread and some more reading, I've settled on the following (ordered by cost)
1. Falken Azenis FK510
2. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

I have not driven on the Falkens, but I have had a few sets of their tires on other cars and they have been good performers, albeit fast wearers.

Note that the Falkens are a summer tire and do not even have a treadlife warranty. I'll eat my own words and say that the Falkens' treadwear is 300 and the Michelins are 500. The Michelins are warranted for 45,000 miles. This may take the sting out of the Michelin premium if they last longer.

I have not driven on the Falkens, but I have had a few sets of their tires on other cars and they have been good performers, albeit fast wearers.

Note that the Falkens are a summer tire and do not even have a treadlife warranty. I'll eat my own words and say that the Falkens' treadwear is 300 and the Michelins are 500. The Michelins are warranted for 45,000 miles. This may take the sting out of the Michelin premium if they last longer.
Very good point, thanks!

I just bought my second set of falken FK510's because for the price they cant be beat. should be arriving in the mail today so i can mount them tomorrow.
i got 20k miles on my last set but could've gone another ~7k but my alignment was a bit off and the insides are worn too much.

I had the michelin super sports before that, and i only got 13k out of them. the treadwear was absolute *sugar* especially when they cost about $1,500+ compared to the $850 for the falkens. and the michelin mileage warranty is *sugar* too, because i have staggered tires so the warranty is only for 15k miles. and it was the fronts that wore out faster than the rears and i drive like a bat out of hell so logically the rears should wear faster with my car (P85D).

• Informative
I just bought my second set of falken FK510's because for the price they cant be beat. should be arriving in the mail today so i can mount them tomorrow.
i got 20k miles on my last set but could've gone another ~7k but my alignment was a bit off and the insides are worn too much.

I had the michelin super sports before that, and i only got 13k out of them. the treadwear was absolute *sugar* especially when they cost about $1,500+ compared to the $850 for the falkens. and the michelin mileage warranty is *sugar* too, because i have staggered tires so the warranty is only for 15k miles. and it was the fronts that wore out faster than the rears and i drive like a bat out of hell so logically the rears should wear faster with my car (P85D).
You’re comparing Michelin Super Sports summer tires. We are talking about the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ which is an all season tire. The super sports do not have as high of a tread rating as the a/s 3+

I love the handle and quiet ride of the pilot sport a/s 3+ however I’m down to 5/32 and only 15,000 miles in. When my snows come off I expect I’ll be replacing them by may at around 18-20k. I know I’ll get a mileage rebate towards my next set but....still would have liked to be around 25k at this point. (My alignment is en point)

• Informative
You’re comparing Michelin Super Sports summer tires. We are talking about the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ which is an all season tire. The super sports do not have as high of a tread rating as the a/s 3+

My bad i misread it.
I live in CA so i have to have a second set of tires for the winter, all season tires wont work for the snow.

I see they are 500 rated treadlife and that's cool but i take treadwear ratings with a grain of salt as they are usually grossly overrated especially with all the torque teslas put them through. And that 45k mile warranty is only good for 23k miles if you have the standard tesla staggered tire setup.