Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quiet Tire replacement recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I replaced my Goodyear OEM tires with the Conti Pure Contact LS tires and they don't seem noisier to me but, then again, my hearing is not the best. They do seem to have a comfy ride and more grip. I was looking for a no foam tire so, in the worst case scenario ( which I pray never happens ), I could use Fix-A-Flat because I'm to old to lay on the ground plugging a tire. So far I am very pleased.

I just replaced my MXM4s with Continental Extreme Contact DWS06s. It may be new-tire bias, but they seem a bit quieter and better-riding. Early look at efficiency seems to indicate no change: 255 Wh/mi after a couple hundred miles of spring weather driving, where the OEM tires gave 268 Wh/mi through all 4 seasons.

I am clearly no expert on this subject but I have been following lots of posts of people wanting to replace worn tires. I have read post after post, plus numerous youtube videos and the bottom line is I still don’t know what to do. My car has 12K miles on it and the OEM Michelins still look great. They did not need a rotation until about 10K miles.
However there are 2 important facts I have learned: weight and torque. The weight of our cars is generally heavier than ICE cars and we spin our tires faster than ICE cars due to the nature of the vehicle. Therefore, I am inclined to make sure to buy tires that are specific for EV cars. Even if you have had great results with tires in the past, does not translate to success with our EV. Of course we need tires with XL ratings. If I had to buy tires today, I think I would buy the same ones the car came with. I am going to make a big assumption (I could be wrong). The assumption is that Tesla knows what they are doing with fitting the car with the proper tires. I don’t need them now, but will in the future. Actually I hope not to buy them because I lease my car and back it goes in 3 years, 2 years left on the lease.
Don’t you love it when people disagree with thumbs down and add nothing to the conversation?

Reactions: electricar