Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Basic 18" second set of wheels for winter tires on 2023 M3 RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to put winter tires and considering to get wheels as well as a second set for easy/free swaps each season. I already have the 235/45/18 X-ice tires. So I just need some basic 18" wheels. I am not looking to get anything fancy. If so, what should I buy that will not reduce my driving range and serve my purpose.

I see 429 different models in tirerack lol - https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/res...ar=2023&autoModClar=235/45-18+XL+(Extra+Load)

I am clueless on what to get. Then I also found this colorful fancy one from Touren - https://www.tireagent.com/products/touren-tr79-3279-8865r35-bid100321

Are there certain brands I should completely avoid? Or brands I should stick to? Is Touren or American Racing good?

I looked at local marketplace listings and people are asking $500-$600 on OEM wheels with curb rash. Might as well pay extra couple of hundreds and get brand new ones? Or are the used OEM wheels better quality compared to these after market ones?

Thanks!

I just ordered these for myself! I have not installed yet but the experience so far has been great! This company has a good reputation as well and great customer service.

Honestly it is really hard to mess up wheels. Especially at a place like tire rack that is pretty conservative about what wheels it thinks will fit, you could buy pretty much anything listed for your vehicle and be fine. Spend as little or as much as your heart desires.

I just ordered these for myself! I have not installed yet but the experience so far has been great! This company has a good reputation as well and great customer service.
Is $1000 for a set really just "basic"?

Last edited:
Honestly it is really hard to mess up wheels. Especially at a place like tire rack that is pretty conservative about what wheels it thinks will fit, you could buy pretty much anything listed for your vehicle and be fine. Spend as little or as much as your heart desires.
Oh really? So I want to buy from tire agent since I have voucher to use. Here is what they list for 2023 M3 RWD 18" (sorted by price) - Buy tires online w/ Free Shipping - Tire Agent

The first one one on the list is $407 for all 4 - Vision Hauler Duallie SW60 18 x 7.5, 5x4.5, 31.95 lbs Black Wheels For Sale - Tire Agent - That seems crazy low. Is that something to avoid?

The next lowest is $814 for a set. But at $883 - this red one looks fancy - Touren TR79 18 x 8, 5x4.5, 27 lbs CRIMSON CANDY RED Wheels For Sale - Tire Agent - But the size is 18 x 8 and offset is 35mm. But M3 owner manual (https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_us/GUID-FDDB10EF-FFA9-46EB-B8CC-03614AE92B6B.html) specifies 8.5" width and offset as 40mm. Is 8" and 45mm something to worry about?

Last edited:
Oh really? So I want to buy from tire agent since I have voucher to use. Here is what they list for 2023 M3 RWD 18" (sorted by price) - Buy tires online w/ Free Shipping - Tire Agent

The first one one on the list is $407 for all 4 - Vision Hauler Duallie SW60 18 x 7.5, 5x4.5, 31.95 lbs Black Wheels For Sale - Tire Agent - That seems crazy low. Is that something to avoid?

The next lowest is $814 for a set. But at $883 - this red one looks fancy - Touren TR79 18 x 8, 5x4.5, 27 lbs CRIMSON CANDY RED Wheels For Sale - Tire Agent - But the size is 18 x 8 and offset is 35mm. But M3 owner manual (https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_us/GUID-FDDB10EF-FFA9-46EB-B8CC-03614AE92B6B.html) specifies 8.5" width and offset as 40mm. Is 8" and 45mm something to worry about?
It looks like those Dualie wheels would technically fit, but it would be shamefully hideous :p .

The rest should also fit fine.

That said, the question…Is saving $500 now worth feeling like you are limping home on borrowed junkyard wheels? Is the extra $500 worth the little feeling you might get when you look back at your car while walking in from parking lots?

Looking at my profile picture I acknowledged I am biased as a lifelong “car guy,” but I’d have to be at a pretty low point to run steelies on my car, haha.

It looks like those Dualie wheels would technically fit, but it would be shamefully hideous :p .

The rest should also fit fine.

That said, the question…Is saving $500 now worth feeling like you are limping home on borrowed junkyard wheels? Is the extra $500 worth the little feeling you might get when you look back at your car while walking in from parking lots?

Looking at my profile picture I acknowledged I am biased as a lifelong “car guy,” but I’d have to be at a pretty low point to run steelies on my car, haha.
Alright. Yeah, big time "pass" on the Dualie...

So... Will I get good looks at the parking lot if I put this on? - Touren TR79 18 x 8, 5x4.5, 27 lbs CRIMSON CANDY RED Wheels For Sale - Tire Agent I will go for it then :D

Technically, I should not put the Tesla aero wheel cover on if I pickup the TR79 red wheels, correct? :D I guess they may not even fit. Also, are the red wheels hard to resell (if I have to, if I decide to upgrade my 3 to Y) or more attractive to resell?

I’d venture the red wheels would be worth $300-400 in resale, or maybe $600 with still-decent tires. That said, wheels are not an investment and you can pretty much always expect to lose. Off the top of my head I’d venture a good assumption might be $300 plus another 25%. (If you bought $5,000 wheels, selling them them for $3,700 would probably be a decent starting point).

The red is a pretty personal taste so if you like them, go for them! I daily drive with a wing and pink racing numbers, which is certainly not everyone’s cup of tea…