Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quirks - or fixes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 Performance with about 5000 miles. I have discovered the following quirks:

1. Mirrors don’t unpack until I’m a ¼ mile from home.

2. Sometimes I have to press activate to get the homelink to close my garage. It never has a problem when I come home.

3. My songs always start again at the beginning after parking. My wife’s model S that does not happen. Is there a setting?

4. Sometimes when I press skip on my radio it spins for the whole drive -never finding another song.

5. After software updates - often the screen thinks it’s nighttime for ¼ mile or so - then it comes on to daylight.

6. After the most recent update, if I enter a destination right after start up it will not advance for about ⅓ of a mile and then it catches up.

Those are the glaring little glitches. Are these common and just part of the zeitgeist of owning a Tesla?

#1 = By design, depending on how you folded them, and described in the Tesla model 3 manual under mirrors:

=====================================================

Folding Mirrors​

To manually fold and unfold exterior mirrors (for example, parking in a narrow garage, tight space, etc.), touch Controls > Fold/Unfold Mirrors.

When you manually fold the mirrors, they remain folded until your driving speed reaches 31 mph (50 km/h) (or until you manually unfold them by touching Controls > Unfold Mirrors).
Note
You cannot fold a mirror when driving over 31 mph (50 km/h).

To set the mirrors to fold automatically whenever you exit and lock Model 3 touch Controls > Mirrors > Mirror Auto Fold. The mirrors unfold automatically when you unlock Model 3.

You can also set mirrors to fold automatically whenever you arrive at a specific location, which saves you from having to manually fold them each time you arrive at a frequented place. To set this up, stop at the location you want to save (or drive at less than 3 mph (5 km/h)), and fold the mirrors. Save Location appears briefly below the Fold Mirrors control. Touch again if you no longer want mirrors to automatically fold at the location, or disable this option in Controls.

Note
When you leave the saved location, mirrors remain folded until your driving speed reaches 31 mph (50 km/h), or until you touch Controls > Unfold Mirrors.

CAUTION
Mirrors may not automatically fold if you return to a saved location and are driving faster than 3 mph/5 km/h.
Note
You can override the automatic folding/unfolding of mirrors at any time (for example, Model 3 has no power) by pushing the mirror assembly away from you to unfold, or pulling it toward you to fold.

===============================================

2. Probably depends on how you have your auto open and auto closing set. This is described in the manual under homelink:

3. No setting that I am aware of, and other people report this. File this one under "quirk"

4. This likely has to do with whether your car loses ATT signal / cellphone coverage where you are. Not much you can likely do about it though. I dont use radio, I use spotify, but if I pass through a dead zone and try to skip a couple of songs something similar will happen. File under "quirk"

5. This usually has more to do with your light sensor than software updates, but I reboot my car after every software update without fail, so never experienced this.

6. Dont remember seeing any specific threads on this, so no advice there.

As for 1- I’m at 31mph pretty quick. It’s not a constant.

2. Auto open and close are defaulted. I’m saying there are times I back out (after I drove in with proper activation) and I back out and the activate button comes on instead of closing the door. It’s not predictable and not a setting.

3. Quirk. Yup

4. I’m on a hill with 5 bars of Verizon 5G but poor AT&T coverage. What does Tesla use? Shouldn’t matter.

5. Let’s see.

6. This seems to becoming an issue

1. Mirrors don’t unpack until I’m a ¼ mile from home.
Yeah the automatic folding/unfolding at remembered locations is a bit unrefined. If automatic folding is important to you, voice control works well to unfold them.

2. Sometimes I have to press activate to get the homelink to close my garage. It never has a problem when I come home.
Yes. Anytime you do something out of the ordinary like park in the driveway or intervene with an open/close event, Homelink will be confused for days. Homelink is quite possibly the only thing Elon dislikes more than his daughter, so don't count on this ever being fixed.

3. My songs always start again at the beginning after parking. My wife’s model S that does not happen. Is there a setting?
MP3's? You're lucky they resume at all. Elon hates MP3's. Streaming is the future.

4. Sometimes when I press skip on my radio it spins for the whole drive -never finding another song.
Yes, it's the cell network. Try again. Tesla does improve this behavior periodically, but it still has some work to be done.

5. After software updates - often the screen thinks it’s nighttime for ¼ mile or so - then it comes on to daylight.
I haven't seen this.

6. After the most recent update, if I enter a destination right after start up it will not advance for about ⅓ of a mile and then it catches up.
I haven't seen this.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin