Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify won't play "Explicit" tagged songs (2023.32)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed today that the car won't play any song on Spotify tagged as "Explicit". They are in the playlists, but they just get skipped even if you press on them to play an individual song. There don't seem to be any settings on the built in Spotify app to update this. Has anyone come across a way to fix it?

I'm not certain if it's a new issue that came up with the recent Spotify refresh, or if it's always been like it. I'm using my own Spotify account, not the free one. All my other devices have the filter disabled in the settings.

maybe some setting on the account?
There are no account-wide settings for Spotify playback, it's all set per device, but in the car app there are no settings options at all. I thought there may be another setting somewhere in the general car menus, but I can't find anything. I've seen posts from others with the same issue in Apple Music too.

and
and

Yes, I can use the search function (and did, before posting) :) Unfortunately none of those have any useful info and are very old posts. I was hoping someone may have found something since 2021, or one of the dozens of software updates since then had changed something.

It's not a big deal, just mildly annoying that content is being filtered & there's apparently no way to change it.

Should be in the generic Media settings…certainly used to be.
1695673828792.png

To hide explicit content go to Audio Settings, tap the Options tab, and turn off ‘Explicit Content.’ Interestingly, Spotify already labels their content as explicit when appropriate, however, Tesla does not support hiding explicit Spotify content yet.

Reactions: Warnz
My issue is the opposite. Spotify in the car won't play explicit tagged songs, no matter what I try. They are displayed in the playlist but are greyed out. When it gets to them they are just skipped.

I gave up looking for a solution to be honest. It's not that I'm specifically trying to play them, it's just irritating that a song with a couple of swearwords in it can't be played...

My issue is the opposite. Spotify in the car won't play explicit tagged songs, no matter what I try. They are displayed in the playlist but are greyed out. When it gets to them they are just skipped.

I gave up looking for a solution to be honest. It's not that I'm specifically trying to play them, it's just irritating that a song with a couple of swearwords in it can't be played...
Sorry to hear that. Can I assume you aren't logged in the car using your own Premium Spotify account?
If you do, I would have thought the settings you have on your mobile app would automatically apply on your Tesla. But I can be wrong.

I wanted to keep playlists and things seperate on my phone vs car. Hence logged in using the free Spotify account which came with the car.