Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Race ;Model 3P vs BMW M3 Competition !!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to confess I don't understand what you are trying to say, and I get several possibilities; 1) that German sports sedans are over rated and a poor performance value for the dollar (OK, this could be debated, but would get a lot of votes in the heartland); 2) that 0-60 is an over rated metric for performance (OK, well maybe but it's a famous benchmark for a lot of reasons); 3) engine power is over rated? Or perhaps I have just missed your point, in which case, I apologize for my concreteness.

None of this is a response however to what I said, which was simply that ICE cars with gobs of horsepower but no AWD are going to consistently lose drag races, esp. at the shorter distances, with the Tesla M3P, and that their owners are going struggle with being beaten by a car that makes no noise, has no hair on its chest, and gets 115 MPGe. Pretty simple really. Hope that seems not too unfair a statement.

German performance cars were more concerned with handeling, gearshifting, steering control than 0 - 60 times which americans and american car makers tend to be much more obsessed about.

I want to see a track shootout. Nobody drag races with an M3... I doubt the P3D will live up to the hype on tge track just due to weight. So far only lap time i have seen is at Laguna Seca, 1:46.8 or something, which isnt faster than M3 like Tesla promised...

I want to see a track shootout. Nobody drag races with an M3... I doubt the P3D will live up to the hype on tge track just due to weight. So far only lap time i have seen is at Laguna Seca, 1:46.8 or something, which isnt faster than M3 like Tesla promised...

Well some people are drag racing it!!

Here's where the range vs. cornering trade-off (which is intrinsic) is exposed for the real dilemma that it is. The M3P has 235 tires carrying roughly 1000 lbs each. While this is well inside the max loading number of ~1300 lbs, and is truly great from the standpoint of rolling resistance, cost and range (those are biggies), compare that to the BMW M3, where the average width of tire is 270 (255 front, 285 rear) carrying 500 lbs less. The M3P could easily accommodate 245/35-20 or even more radically (and range reducing!) a 265/35-19. Equipped that way, I have to believe that such a setup would easily shave several seconds off the track time. Just expect to spend a lot more time at your nearest charging station.

But while you are regretting the several seconds difference in times between the two stock configurations, DON'T compare fuel (fool) economy either. The BMW is lucky if it can hit 20 MPG overall in mixed use, while the Tesla beats that by a factor of 5! The BMW could hit 120 MPG only if it was thrown off a cliff. So the M3P Tesla would still dropkick this iconic ICE benchmark car in fuel and operating costs with radical rubber on board. It's nice to have options. But the tradeoffs in range and cost vs. cornering are unavoidable. Come to think of it, even after you ponied up the bucks for the forged 19 inch wheels, and the radical 265/35-19 RE71R rubber, you are still under the price of a competition M3. So overall, I'd say the M3P looks pretty sweet.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Candleflame
To be fair almost nobody races their M3 period. 5% of owners maybe? If that. Most "races" are people goofing around between stoplights.

I'm really looking forward to track mode. My next event is on the 11th and I assume there will be another M car there. Time/extra cash is keeping me from getting new tires right now but perhaps this spring. Limp mode from a hot battery was my biggest issue IMO. Maybe I need to design an auxiliary cooling system using CO2 or NO2. ;)

End of the day, if I can beat an M3 in the 1/4, and not embarrass myself on a road course while getting 100+mpg I think I'm happy with the tradeoff.

Reactions: dfwatt

Most people are waiting for track mode so they aren’t limited by car’s traction control system. Also M3’s record at laguna seca was driven by a pro. So until we see a pro drive model 3 with track mode, no one really knows what the model 3 is capable of.

Reactions: dfwatt
To be fair almost nobody races their M3 period. 5% of owners maybe? If that. Most "races" are people goofing around between stoplights.

I'm really looking forward to track mode. My next event is on the 11th and I assume there will be another M car there. Time/extra cash is keeping me from getting new tires right now but perhaps this spring. Limp mode from a hot battery was my biggest issue IMO. Maybe I need to design an auxiliary cooling system using CO2 or NO2. ;)

End of the day, if I can beat an M3 in the 1/4, and not embarrass myself on a road course while getting 100+mpg I think I'm happy with the tradeoff.

any insight on when track mode is going to appear in Tesla software? Any idea about Version 9?

Well some people are drag racing it!!

Here's where the range vs. cornering trade-off (which is intrinsic) is exposed for the real dilemma that it is. The M3P has 235 tires carrying roughly 1000 lbs each. While this is well inside the max loading number of ~1300 lbs, and is truly great from the standpoint of rolling resistance, cost and range (those are biggies), compare that to the BMW M3, where the average width of tire is 270 (255 front, 285 rear) carrying 500 lbs less. The M3P could easily accommodate 245/35-20 or even more radically (and range reducing!) a 265/35-19. Equipped that way, I have to believe that such a setup would easily shave several seconds off the track time. Just expect to spend a lot more time at your nearest charging station.

But while you are regretting the several seconds difference in times between the two stock configurations, DON'T compare fuel (fool) economy either. The BMW is lucky if it can hit 20 MPG overall in mixed use, while the Tesla beats that by a factor of 5! The BMW could hit 120 MPG only if it was thrown off a cliff. So the M3P Tesla would still dropkick this iconic ICE benchmark car in fuel and operating costs with radical rubber on board. It's nice to have options. But the tradeoffs in range and cost vs. cornering are unavoidable. Come to think of it, even after you ponied up the bucks for the forged 19 inch wheels, and the radical 265/35-19 RE71R rubber, you are still under the price of a competition M3. So overall, I'd say the M3P looks pretty sweet.

you cannot really convert mpg to mpge. mpge is just a made up number without real world relevancy. Otherwise the Model 3 should have 400 mpge in europe with our higher fuel prices.
Of course the Model 3 would beat the M3 in fuel cost in the USA but I am not convinced a Diesel is more expensive to drive than a Tesla in the USA.

Sorry to get off topic, but using EPA data a Diesel BMW 328d would have fuel cost more than 2.5 times that of a Tesla Model 3.

Compare Side-by-Side

43mpg highway consumption is a joke, my old 320d would get 50 usmpg cruising on the autobahn and other european motorways at 150+ kmh. At the EPA highway speeds of 100kmh or so it would probably be 70 usmpg or more.

I have done the calculations in fuel cost for america before compared to a Model S being charged on road trips and if I remember correctly the diesel was cheaper to run.

You can get some small 1.5L turbodiesels in europe which get even better fuel economy.

Sorry to get off topic, but using EPA data a Diesel BMW 328d would have fuel cost more than 2.5 times that of a Tesla Model 3.

Compare Side-by-Side

For me, it costs about 2.7-2.9 cents (USD) per mile in my P3D+ (between 250 - 275 Whr/mile at 10.7 cents/KWhr). Diesel prices in my area average about $3.24/gal. This means using an EPA combined rating of 36 mpg, it would cost 9 cents per mile driving the 328d. That's at least 3X more expensive than my P3D+.

Sad that is already obsolete. BMW model three series hit their peak sales a few years back and have been in steady decline. This year they're going to sell the fewest vehicles they sold in many many years. Tesla is eating their lunch

It is not only Tesla, or even more, it is not really Tesla eating. Whole market shifted to crossovers, BMW sells a ton of those, overall sales still going up.

Will be interesting to see how is Tesla M3 compares to BMW M3 on the track, and not just one lap...... I afraid Bimmer still a winner.

Last edited: