Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radiator Coolant Leak ($600 Repair)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wherever its coming from its high point of the radiator, that rock or gravel would have had to take a 90 degree turn up and strike whatever.

Unless this coolant wicks naturally uphill. Now also maybe wind at speed drew the coolant up to the top from a lower leak. It really looks like hose or clamp situation or where the hose attaches to the top of the radiator perhaps.

They don't really know either until they get the radiation out. You can't tell where its coming from. Then you have to leak test the radiator. If they are honest they are quoting you the worst and if it turns out other then it'll be no charge MAYBE.

I had a metal object puncture my front grill, and in turn when I removed it the radiator leaked a GREAT deal, had it flat bed towed, happened last night, the garage I went to said they can't look at it until MONDAY three days from now. UNACCEPTABLE I say, can't contact Tesla, this seems like a relative immediate fix that is needed PLEASE contact me with any suggestions 508 596 4413.

On Sunday we returned from a roadtrip in our 2016 Model S RWD and plugged the car in as normal. A couple hours later but well before charging should have completed, I got an alert that charging had stopped. I was not able to resume charging from my phone so I went to the garage and found the Red Ring. I unplugged and plugged in and went back to green flashing. I was about to return inside when I noticed a large puddle of blueish fluid coming from behind the left wheel. I opened the door and on the dash was a "Low Coolant Contact Tesla Service" warning.

I immediately unplugged the car and captured a 50 second video of the leak and the puddle associated and called Tesla Service.

Within an hour our S was on a flatbed and headed for service.

Today service contacts me and tells me that the radiator is busted and it is a $600 repair. I asked why is not not covered under warranty and was told that there was "Evidence of outside influence" and that "Rocks had penetrated the front grill and radiator causing the leak".

I asked for some pictures to help me understand because we had not struck any objects nor had any rocks struck the car in the day(s) prior to the leak. They sent me the 3 pics attached to this post as evidence that there was outside influence and therefore this is not a warranty issue.

I am by no means a car guy but I don't see any holes or anything else indicting rock penetration. They say that because there are a couple of drops of fluid on the grill that is all the evidence they need that the damage occurred on the front of the radiator which could only be caused by outside influence.

Any professionals out there care to share their opinion based on my short youtube video and the pics from the SC?View attachment 376990 View attachment 376993 View attachment 376992

I would be leaning more towards the Tesla going bad from electrolysis ( stray electrical current flowing through the system with the coolant ) it attacks the radiator because it’s the weakest mineral in the system and it eats a hole from the inside out of the radiator. It’s a common problem in regular gas / diesel engine vehicles and I knew this was going to be a huge problem in Tesla’s ever since they started talking about electric cars. More batteries, more electrical current = more stray current. There’s really only one way to avoid this and I hold the Patent. So if Elon wants to give me a call I’ll sell him the cure. If not you’ll be hearing about these “rocks” for sometime to come.