Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coolant leak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving a 2024 Model Y. Haven't even had it a week. Ran over debris but didn't get any alerts at the time. After a while it said it was reducing the max speed. A while later it warned me of a coolant leak. Drove it to the nearest Teasla center but they had just closed. Drove it home and the screen shut off midway there. How screwd am I?

I was driving a 2024 Model Y. Haven't even had it a week. Ran over debris but didn't get any alerts at the time. After a while it said it was reducing the max speed. A while later it warned me of a coolant leak. Drove it to the nearest Teasla center but they had just closed. Drove it home and the screen shut off midway there. How screwd am I?

There's not much you can do except wait for them to open and then tow it there.

Since it's a collision with the debris, Tesla won't pay for the repairs or the towing.

Your insurance should cover the repairs minus the deductions.

Upvote 0
How likely is it that the battery was damaged? That's what's really worrying me.

PS: Here's a Screencap of a video I just took showing the damage. I can post the video too if it'll help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240204_001633_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240204_001633_Gallery.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 35
Upvote 0
Even if the battery wasn't severely overheated, I recall reading about Tesla not wanting to fix damage where the coolant lines connect to the battery, or something to that effect. It's really a bad design having flimsy plastic for such a vulnerable location. Tesla should really have a metal cover of some sort. Makes me think I might invest in a metal belly pan. Not sure if even that can stop damage with such force. I recall a Jerry-rigged fix for the connection on a YouTube vid but your car is brand new. Best to let Tesla evaluate damage and insurance handle if the battery is damaged. Don't stress too much. Let them look at it then go from there. Insurance will cover it if it's a battery replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: carpendj
Upvote 0
I can't say it's very likely. It might just be a hose leak and not broken off at that connector and maybe the battery also is okay. You will only know once they evaluate. How long? Depends on the shop and availability of the part.

The important thing is that you're okay. The car will get sorted out.

Reactions: carpendj
Upvote 0
Do not drive it. Get it towed to Tesla. I ran over something big and metal in the middle of my lane at 55 mph and it ripped off the weak plastic protection covers, damaged the metal protecting the battery, damaged the coolant line and the battery. I was so pizzed. Someone had hit a deer and then driven into the metal barriers and part of that barrier was then on the road. I was just unfortunate with the timing and it was dark and a little misty. I was gutted. I had the same warnings and quickly pulled over to see coolant pouring out from under the car. I had to have a replacement battery and submit a claim to progressive for a battery replacement. Cost $12,000+ and its not even a new battery. They fit reconditioned ones. Only new cars get new batteries. Not sure if you need a new battery based on what you posted but this could be an insurance claim. Hope you have the right coverage.

Upvote 0
I had no idea the they had a seperate center for collisions. I really wish they were open on Sundays. All this worrying is actually making me nauseous.
I felt the same way but it will get worked out. Get it towed to Tesla and talk with your insurance company. Tesla will take a look and tell you what damage you have done. The insurance adjuster will go out there and confirm it. Mine wrote a check to Tesla right there and then minus my deductible. Then I just had to wait for the new battery and other items to be replaced. I may have been off the road for 2-3 weeks and so get yourself a loan car if you have that on your policy. You might get lucky and not need a new battery. The photo you posted was much less than the damage I did. Mine was pretty bad. Good luck. It will be back to normal soon.

Upvote 0