Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rail Rust?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just washed my car and when I looking over it at dusk, I spotting all these tiny "smudges" all over my trunk, with looks like a little microscopic rust dots in the center of it. If you run hand over it you can feel it. Trying to google search keeps telling me its Rail Rust...but I keep going back and forth because of the smudge like appearance. Like if you licked your finger and wiped something, if would leave a smudge. Looks like that.

Can't see in direct sunlight, been hard to take pics of, otherwise I would. Is this rail rust? Something from the car wash chemicals that eroded my clear coat?

I have midnight silver paint, so they're only noticable up close. I know, I should stop worrying and drive...but seeing these little orange specs is worrying?

Any insights?

Ok then, truck dust? ;) Either way it’s a contaminate and I’d suggest a clay bar to start.
if its to start then that is the wrong answer. you should buy iron remover its a spray for iron dust from trucks freeways etc. smells horrible but removes deposits like rail dust and washes away without damaging the paint. which if you do not know how to clay bar which can and will damage your car if your not careful.

if its to start then that is the wrong answer. you should buy iron remover its a spray for iron dust from trucks freeways etc. smells horrible but removes deposits like rail dust and washes away without damaging the paint. which if you do not know how to clay bar which can and will damage your car if your not careful.
Of course. I’d assume someone would take the time to learn how to clay bar properly, it’s not rocket science and with proper lube you won’t harm the paint. Since he said he’d already washed the car, I’m willing to be the debris is embedded in the paint. I did a full clay bar before two coats of ceramic and it came out great. My clay pulled up just a little debris.