Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain Driving Tesla S RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my RWD Tesla S for 3 years and I have had opportunities to drive in the rain in Austin, TX. Last time coming back from the airport in a construction area it was somewhat difficult as the car kept sliding while normal driving. I finally realized that when I released the accelerator to slow down the regen engaged and the S would slide so I kept the pedal on but low speed as needed so the regen would not engage and that helped until I was on better roads. I have been searching the forum and have seen some comments about low or no regen during rain? Car still has original tires, about 20K miles and recently passed safety inspection and the annual Tesla maintenance, thread looks ok, not sure if all-weather type tires would also help?

Just looking for some suggestions to consider going forward, cheers!

you want to not have drastic changes in acceleration or deceleration in the rain. you letting off the pedal means it goes into full regen which is a drastic change(braking essentially) just as if you stepped on the accelerator in the rain, you will lose traction.

if you want to slow down in the rain, let off the accelerator slowly and not fully. hope that helps

That’s pretty crazy you’re sliding that much! I have a lifted 4wd truck on 35in mud tires and when that YUUGE snowstorm hit TN last month I was playing in the snow with the truck in 4wd; then I took my S 75 RWD out and the only time I slid was on purpose at full turn lock (left or right) when the TC and ABS cuts off its control. And when I would apply too much braking power.
Check your tire wear and PSI. My rear tires are pretty close to shot on the original Goodyear’s at 20k miles