Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain on Rear Camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What did the other cars do? Are you describing water IN the camera or ON the camera?
Certainly there might be various solutions which serve to keep water (dirt is actually a bigger problem) off the camera, but not sure I have seen any implemented in other vehicles. Water getting into the body of the camera seems like a defect though.

Put some RainX on it. Just make sure you use the right one (plastic or glass).
I've found RainX on the lens to make to worse, at least on our S. The water beads up and strongly distorts the image and there doesn't seem to be any air movement to blow it off.

What's really annoying is that a similar camera I installed myself on another car has no similar problems. Apparently the air stream there doesn't deposit water on the lens. It's always clear. That makes me think that Tesla didn't consider the air flow of the camera placement when they designed the car.

I wonder if a wetting agent wouldn't be better so there was a more uniform film of water over the lens. Another thought would be to rig up some kind of wind vane to direct a stream of air over the lens so the RainX beaded water would blow off.

Wait till you drive on slushy salted roads. No hope.