Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raining While Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been reading this forum since November and do not remember seeing this question. I read the manual's entire section on charging and found nothing about charging in the rain. I did a search and again no answers.

I have a 14-50 waterproof outlet installed on the exterior of my house. I cannot use the garage so always charge outside. If I have it always charging as most recommend is okay to ignore it if rain begins?

If I arrive home and it is raining is it okay to start charging? I keep the 14-50 adapter plugged into the outlet and it hangs down below the outlets box. The box is locked. I keep the charging cable in the trunk and take it out to charge.

If it is raining when I arrive at a supercharger are there any precautions to take before charging other than using an umbrella?

Edit to say I meant to put this under the charging category. Cannot see way to move it now. If a mod can please feel free to do so.

• Informative
Reactions: Fossil Fool
It is a car, rain is planned for and expected.
Only precautions would be if plugging in the actual 14-50 outlet if wet there is less margin for error. Constant R&R of the plug at the outlet is not really recommended anyway so consider leaving a UMC plugged in if possible.

I leave the 14-50 adapter plugged in. When I charge I attach the UMC to the adapter and then insert into charger port on the MX. I do it that way because I read that the weak point of a 14-50 solution was repeated insertion and removal of the plug.

As long as either end of the charger isn't flooded with water then you shouldn't have any issues. Water dripping on the outside of it should be fine. I'm in the Seattle area and have never had any issues with connecting, disconnecting, or charging while it's raining. I've even washed the car while it's charging and never had any sign that the water was problematic.

• Informative
Reactions: bons and shinytop
I have a 14-50 waterproof outlet installed on the exterior of my house. I cannot use the garage so always charge outside. If I have it always charging as most recommend is okay to ignore it if rain begins?
We did have an issue with the area just beneath the plug (which is supposed to drain off) getting gunked up, not draining, and creating problems for the lights in the plug receiver. Plug receiver was replaced by mobile tech. We cover the plug with a microfiber cloth now if charging in the rain. I would like one of those snow covers I've seen online somewhere, but haven't gotten one yet. Our car lives outdoors and is charged there.

Just don’t dip the end of the charger into a huge puddle you are standing in.

No problems with rain in the PNW. While I’ve washed my car as well while charging, I would still be a little wary of blasting water into the cracks. Definitely don’t use a pressure washer either.