Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range anxiety: charging failure mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The failure mode of an EV running out of electricity results in an expensive flatbed tow. This is significantly different than running out of fuel in an ICE. A quick splash of gasoline from a small can of gas and you are on your way.

most of the solutions discussed for decreased range anxiety are longer range batteries and more charging locations. However, they should also focus on how to reduce the issues with running out of electricity.

Vehicle to vehicle charging should get more focus. Not because many people are running out of electricity, but just to reduce the mental stress of trying to cut it close. If I knew I could get a quick jump from another EV, it would calm my fears about attempting trips that may be risky, from a range perspective.

...Vehicle to vehicle charging should get more focus...

I've not run out of battery ever since I bought a Tesla in 2012.

However, in the past, with my ICE, I was stranded multiple times for believing that gasoline stations would be everywhere so what's the worry.

My behavior changed with owning a Tesla as my first question would be: Do I have enough range for the destination?

It would be nice to have plenty of Tesla Superchargers in most of the street corners and highway exits so I don't have to ask that question again. But I am afraid that I might revert back to my ICE belief that it's no big deal if I would run out of fuel and I will indeed run out again after 9 years just like before thanks to the convenience!

Last edited:
Reactions: WarpedOne
The failure mode of an EV running out of electricity results in an expensive flatbed tow. This is significantly different than running out of fuel in an ICE. A quick splash of gasoline from a small can of gas and you are on your way.

most of the solutions discussed for decreased range anxiety are longer range batteries and more charging locations. However, they should also focus on how to reduce the issues with running out of electricity.

Vehicle to vehicle charging should get more focus. Not because many people are running out of electricity, but just to reduce the mental stress of trying to cut it close. If I knew I could get a quick jump from another EV, it would calm my fears about attempting trips that may be risky, from a range perspective.

So many ICE are close to impossible to fill with small gas cans, due to filler necks. And then so many more require special steps due to injector damage preventers.

You can always stop and plug into a 120V plug.

But paying attention to the world around you is so much easier.

Its called being aware of your charge status. Ive never run out of gas either.

Running out of fuel/energy is just not a very common event to be worth a lot of engineering around.

It is particularly hard in a Tesla since it will warn you in many ways.

Anywhere with electrical power can be used to charge the car (albeit slow if just 120v).

The comment about towing to regenerate is a good one. As long as the car is not totally dead this should work! Kind of a neat capability compared to an ICE vehicle.

Vehicle to vehicle charging would be cool, but it would require additional hardware which is difficult to justify just for that purpose. One way to accomplish it would be to put an inverter in the car to be able to generate AC power which you could then use to charge the other vehicle. This might be justified by also enabling “vehicle to grid” capabilities so you could get paid to provide grid support services.

A fun note is that the cybertruck will have some capability built in! It will have a 240v receptacle. It is unclear how much amperage it will be able to deliver.

Reactions: hcdavis3
The best part is you don’t even need the other vehicle to be an EV! This is definitely the best solution. They just need to come up with some clever communication mechanisms to deal with the obvious safety issues.
True, although if it's not an EV owner, be prepared for some "I told you so" style comments about the downsides of EV's haha. I've never had to attempt it myself, but my friend in Fort Mac offered to come tow me for a quick recharge if I didn't make it from Edmonton. Thankfully I did make it with a whopping 6% to spare! The most northern supercharger is in Edmonton, so going north ~450kms to Fort Mac was quite sketchy, but thankfully there is some free level 2 charging along the way, so a stop for lunch and it is doable.

If the situation had occurred, we'd for sure have been staying right on the shoulder and hazards on, keeping the speed low. Thankfully out there is the boonies, I wouldn't recommend trying this on a busy highway!

The number one way to deal with range anxiety is planning. Treat it like pilots do with flights. Have a destination and then have an alternative as a bailout if you arent going to make it. That's what I do if I think it's going to be close. Usually just a public level 2 will be sufficient in an emergency as a bailout option. It's easy to check on the plug share app if there are other public chargers available.

The tesla nav seems to be very accurate at showing state of charge upon arrival for me. Between that and the energy screen we have great built in tools to properly plan on a longer trip.

I've got about 60,000 miles of Tesla driving experiences (counting some of my wife's driving too). Never run out of charge, though I've gotten the battery below 10 range miles dozens of times. The only data I can contribute, is that I found a Model X stranded trying to climb a ramp inside a 3 story garage. The Supercharger was located on the roof. Interviewing the lady who got stranded, I was struck by the following points:
1. The Model X had been reading 0 miles for the past 12-15 miles;
2. She knew exactly where the charger was;
3. The charger was one among 12 at the site;
4. She had been loaned the car (presumably her other driving experience was in an ICE);
5. She had little or no 'range anxiety';
6. If she walked 100 feet, she would see the chargers she was aiming for
7. Bjorn (of Youtube) stranded a car in winter conditions within view of a charger as well.

Having said all that, my guess is that 90% of the standings are within a short distance of the charge destination. Range anxiety neither hurts nor helps -- basically, people who strand, are very much complicit in the stranding (maybe they don't read the messages in their dashboard). Unlike ICE, we tend to have a very clear idea of the distance to go -- we just don't know a) weather; b) detours; c) if you have to climb some ramps.

Given the vastly superior knowledge (distance, supercharger condition) we have as we drive up to a charger, we should never be surprised by more than 1 mile, or about 0.33 kWh, how much difference there is in our battery versus the distance/climb needed to reach the charger. Accordingly, when and if I ever get surprised, I'll drive up to a gas station, and ask, "Is it OK if I plug-in to your wall outlet for 30 minutes so that I can get 0.5 kWh, and reach the top of that parking structure?". Remember, all gas station pumps require electricity to operate. My brother in law calls his (gas) station, a "Service Station". Ask for the service. Buy a candy-bar or drink. Wait 30 minutes. Then you are golden!

More directly to @1.21GW post. The Cybertruck is your solution. Try the above-mentioned tricks, or wait until 2022.

Reactions: AdamMacDon