Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Extending Wheels for Model Y Performance (MYP)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m getting 240Wh/mi on my LR with inductions (40% highway driving). I’d love an “Induction aero cover” that I could install specifically for big road trips, but alas…
Wow thats amazign effiency. Im on inductions and never get anywhere near that unless weather is really mild and im going 50mph or under. My lifetime is about 290wh/m i do about 75% or maybe more highway interstatedriving, so to be expected but your seems more like model 3 efficiency!

Just an anecdotal note on ride comfort:
I have the MYP w/ the 21" wheels and I actually prefer the ride of these as opposed to my 19" winter set-up with the Continental Viking tires. Eventhough the 19's may be softer they didn't ride as smooth. As @jcanoe stated, this probably has alot to do with the particular road surface.
I also like the comfort of the 21 Uber turbines on my 2021 y performance with 28,500 miles in the first year. The only dislike is I had to replace the back tires at 22,000 miles which cost me 1040 dollars! Ouch 😭

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
I drove 35 miles today mixed highway and suburb driving and used 10% of the battery. Highest speed was 66 mph for a few min to pass someone. So is this normal?
Hard to tell; 35 miles is not enough time and distance to estimate your efficiency. Use the Trips function and view the Trip A and Trip B Watt Hour / Mile (WH/Mi) consumption. Rename Trip B to Lifetime and don't reset this odometer. After several thousand miles your average Wh/mi won't change much except seasonally or if you change wheels/tires.

Divide 1 by the Wh/mi number expressed as kilowatt hours; i.e. 1/.270 for as example 270Wh/mi to come up with the miles of range per kilowatt hour. That is 3.7 miles of range per kWh. Multiply that number by the estimated size of the battery, ~77kWh for a range estimate, in this example ~285 miles. (Tesla's EPA combined city/highway range is based on something like ~234 Wh/mi. The Tesla EPA estimate does not factor in the use of any climate control or exceed 45 MPH in the Dyno test data.)

Did you try these? I’m looking into some. I hate hubcaps and just got the long range y. I’d like to keep or even extend my range through as it’s for road trips.asd
Didn't get to try it but my understanding is that the 18" version is just as efficient as the model 3 OEM aero wheels, thus the 19" version might edge out the 19 OEM wheels however probably not by enough to justify the cost.

Reactions: MYoohMY
Look at the rim width vs larger size rims
1701368909048.png

Most tires I have seen support either 8.5" to 10.0" width rim or even 7.5" to 9.5" meanwhile the common 18" wheels are either 8.5" width or 9.0" width so I see no issue here?
Pretty sure 255/55R18 works for the Model Y ?

Did you try these? I’m looking into some. I hate hubcaps and just got the long range y. I’d like to keep or even extend my range through as it’s for road trips.
I just got the Fast EV 18 inch wheels for my Model Y Performance. They fit well over the larger brake caliper. There is probably half an inch space. I got 235/60 18 tires. Yes they are technically a bit too large but fit well and there is no rubbing of any kind. I just had them installed today so I can't say much about efficiency yet. The reason to go with 18 and even larger tires was to get the most comfort to compensate the stiff performance suspension. It is a bit softer but not as soft as I would have hoped.

BTW when you order the rims, you have the order the plastic covers separately. They are not included with the rims.

I just got the Fast EV 18 inch wheels for my Model Y Performance. They fit well over the larger brake caliper. There is probably half an inch space. I got 235/60 18 tires. Yes they are technically a bit too large but fit well and there is no rubbing of any kind. I just had them installed today so I can't say much about efficiency yet. The reason to go with 18 and even larger tires was to get the most comfort to compensate the stiff performance suspension. It is a bit softer but not as soft as I would have hoped.

BTW when you order the rims, you have the order the plastic covers separately. They are not included with the rims.
Would love to see some photos if you have

Would love to see some photos if you have
Here you go. I only drove about 300 miles with these, but so far very happy. The overall diameter is 1.057x larger. Not a big difference but you'd want to set your speed to 2 or maybe 3 mph lower than you would on the freeway. At city speeds the difference in too small to matter.

Attachments

• IMG_1123.JPG
    IMG_1123.JPG
    504.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1124.JPG
    IMG_1124.JPG
    615.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1125.JPG
    IMG_1125.JPG
    718.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1127.JPG
    IMG_1127.JPG