Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,
I have a 2014 P85 with a touch over 100,000 miles. I have lost approximately 65 miles of range over the course of said miles. That is ~ 24% of lost range. My lifetime usage is 302 kw/mile, so I am not driving very aggressively. Has anyone else experienced this type of range loss?

September 2016 Model S 75D - I've experienced 2% loss of range per year. Started at 259 miles at 100% and now it's 233 miles max. I also have a 2014 Smart For Two that has experienced 0% loss of range over 8 years.

September 2016 Model S 75D - I've experienced 2% loss of range per year. Started at 259 miles at 100% and now it's 233 miles max. I also have a 2014 Smart For Two that has experienced 0% loss of range over 8 years.
My range is increasing slightly since the 2020 updates, as well as a slight increase is SuC speed.

If you are not on a current update (See my Sig) I suggest you update.

Per CAN bus via SMT, I have 77 KwH nominal. When I divide that by 0.29 KwH/mi, I get the rated range.

Range loss is normal. It's not miles that degrades the battery, but time, so an eight year old car should lose a fair amount. It sounds like your loss is greater than what I would expect, but expectations are evolving as we get new data. I would guess that battery management has improved since 2014, too, but we should all realize that batteries degrade. This is part of the reason that I spent extra for my S. I wanted the most range I could get.

But, that being said, I'm not going to stress about it. I know my range will decrease, and I know there are chargers all over, and in five years there will be even more. As to charging, I don't keep track, though I might start. Wifey and I think we get about 150 miles in half an hour when we Supercharge in Napa.

All good points, thanks. Northern CA is still great, however those lost 26 miles have come into play because now there are so many Teslas that you often have to wait for a charger on holiday weekends along I5 and in LA/OC. Fortunately Tesla is building more superchargers with lots of stalls that keep it possible for those of us losing range to make it from place to place. But over Presidents Day weekend, I sat and waited for 20 minutes, at 8 PM, with 4% charge remaining, after trying multiple locations with even longer waits. This was Orange County. I was passing through, but I'm convinced most of the squatters were locals, just topping up. BTW I have a CHAdeMO adapter, the closest Chargepoint DC Fast was out of order - both stalls. I'd never been below 10% before. It was kind of infuriating.

How many kWh is left in your battery when its at 100% ? miles are a BS way to measure things. For example my car was 242 miles brand new, its currently saying 235 that's only 3%. but the battery has dropped 12% so there is no way the miles are accurate. And more likely in your case you just need to balance the pack. I've seen a lot of people say different ways to do it from going to >10% charge and then plug in to a supercharger till its 100% and stops. or to plug it in at home at >10% and let it go to 97% in one go and let it sit for like a day at that then raise it to 100% and when it stops it should be balanced. I've done all of these so i dono if any actually work or not.

below you can see my battery I took this screenshot last weekend. we all know the original 85 packs were not 85kWh they were 81.5kWh with a 4kWh buffer making the brand new pack 77.5kWh.

So below you see my pack is at 67.8kWh and that is 12.2% drop over factory. I've taken it in for a battery diag to tesla and they say its fine, and within spec. I usually do this every 6 months or so hoping one time they'll do something about it, and it gets me out of work for a day since its 2hr each way to Tesla + time spent with the tech looking at it.

Screenshot_20220303-090455404.jpg