Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Tesla model 3 performance range drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just purchased this car a week ago. I have noticed at 90% charge it only has 246 mile range. Factory rated it for 310 miles new. I realize it can lose miles over time, it currently has 65,000 miles on it. I bought it from Tesla corporate. I love Teslas and we bought a brand new model 3 long range in 2022. Our long range is doing great with no issues ever. Should I be concerned with the the loss of range on the performance model I just purchased?

You're not that far off. My 2018 Model 3 long range with 56k miles was 310 when new, at around 25k miles it started dropping. I've been only charging to 50% for the past 2-3 years unless I need more to travel, and it's stabilized around 290 to 292 miles at 100% charge. If I assume 290, that's 93.5% of original, for you with 299 original, 100% would be 280 miles if you had my degradation. You mention 246 miles at 90% charge, that's 273 at 100%.

It's not so bad. I'd start charging at lower rates, this worked well for me with the early battery technology, range actually started increasing as the computer system recalculated....ie, normally at 50% charge, let it go real low periodically, charge to 100% maybe once a month. Took about 10 months and mine increased from like 285 to 290 at 100%.

Reactions: Longrangeboost
I just purchased this car a week ago. I have noticed at 90% charge it only has 246 mile range. Factory rated it for 310 miles new. I realize it can lose miles over time, it currently has 65,000 miles on it.

You are paying too much attention to the Tesla's "stated" range number at full charge. There are numerous reports of how Tesla has been faking that number all along.
Regardless of what the car displays on the screen, you will not see that range in real life.
What matters is your actual mileage. Drive the car, and record the results for yourself.
Then report, and figure out what steps to take next.

I bought it from Tesla corporate. I love Teslas and we bought a brand new model 3 long range in 2022. Our long range is doing great with no issues ever. Should I be concerned with the the loss of range on the performance model I just purchased?

You should not be concerned with the fake range # displayed by Tesla at full charge. If you don't like it, wait a software release or two, and they will change it for you.
The only thing that effects your day-to-day enjoyment of the car is the actual range it will deliver.
That will vary tremendously with:
  • Type of terrain (grade of the road) you are driving.
  • The speeds.
  • The amount of appreciation for acceleration you are demonstrating.
  • Ambient temps.
  • Amount of HVAC / heater input you are requiring.
  • How much energy is lost while it is parked (through sentry, ventilation, 3rd party apps, etc.).
  • Something else.
You bought a 5-year old car. Some battery degradation should be expected.
How much exactly does yours have?
Drive it - and find out!

HTH,
a

Reactions: Kimmi
You're not that far off. My 2018 Model 3 long range with 56k miles was 310 when new, at around 25k miles it started dropping. I've been only charging to 50% for the past 2-3 years unless I need more to travel, and it's stabilized around 290 to 292 miles at 100% charge. If I assume 290, that's 93.5% of original, for you with 299 original, 100% would be 280 miles if you had my degradation. You mention 246 miles at 90% charge, that's 273 at 100%.

It's not so bad. I'd start charging at lower rates, this worked well for me with the early battery technology, range actually started increasing as the computer system recalculated....ie, normally at 50% charge, let it go real low periodically, charge to 100% maybe once a month. Took about 10 months and mine increased from like 285 to 290 at 100%.
That’s good information, I will do that. I mainly will be driving it to work and back 16 miles total a day. So the 50% charge will work good for me. Thank
You.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
The 310 range was on the tesla site for this car in the tesla advertisement.
To be exact, 299 was the initial M3P range for 2018 and 2019 models.
Sometime in mid-2019, a firmware/software update was released that claimed to unlock additional performance and range. Afterwards, official advertised range for new cars went up to 310 miles. There remained some ambiguity as to whether or not old cars benefited from the increased range.

I had never seen either 299 or 310 miles in my 2019 MY TM3P. It was about 292 on day 1, and quickly dropped into 280's.
My over-stated range number never increased after firmware/software updates, regardless of what Tesla claimed.

YMMV,
a

• Disagree
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
You are paying too much attention to the Tesla's "stated" range number at full charge. There are numerous reports of how Tesla has been faking that number all along.
Regardless of what the car displays on the screen, you will not see that range in real life.
What matters is your actual mileage. Drive the car, and record the results for yourself.

You should not be concerned with the fake range # displayed by Tesla at full charge. If you don't like it, wait a software release or two, and they will change it for you.
The only thing that effects your day-to-day enjoyment of the car is the actual range it will deliver.
  • The speeds.
  • Ambient temps.
  • How much energy is lost while it is parked (through sentry, ventilation, 3rd party apps, etc.).
  • Something else.
Drive it - and find out!

HTH,
a
I expected some range loss this is my 4 th electric car. I am going to
Work on range reset. And go from there.

I just purchased this car a week ago. I have noticed at 90% charge it only has 246 mile range. Factory rated it for 310 miles new. I realize it can lose miles over time, it currently has 65,000 miles on it. I bought it from Tesla corporate. I love Teslas and we bought a brand new model 3 long range in 2022. Our long range is doing great with no issues ever. Should I be concerned with the the loss of range on the performance model I just purchased?

They (2018 model 3 performance) were rated for 310 miles range new, but changed the rating of the car from 310 to 299 to account for the wheels they delivered the car with, which were not accounted for in that 310 mile rating.

So, you can choose to either think of it as 310 miles range when new, or 299 miles range when new and on the factory Michelin pilot super sport tires.

A 90% charge on my 2018 model 3P is 249-250, so this sounds right in line.

TL ; DR = nothing to do about it, nothing to be concerned about, and it sounds right in line with other 2018 model 3 Performance vehicles.

They (2018 model 3 performance) were rated for 310 miles range new, but changed the rating of the car from 210 to 299 to account for the wheels they delivered the car with, which were not accounted for in that 310 mile rating.

So, you can choose to either think of it as 310 miles range when new, or 299 miles range when new and on the factory Michelin pilot super sport tires.

A 90% charge on my 2018 model 3P is 249-250, so this sounds right in line.

TL ; DR = nothing to do about it, nothing to be concerned about, and it sounds right in line with other 2018 model 3 Performance vehicles.
Makes sense, mine has the 20 inch with the pilot sport tires. I went in the service section and my battery shows its health at 90% so I should be good for a long time.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Someone bought a used ICE car - the horsepower and mileage are way down. Not to worry. There is a gas station on every corner.
Would anyone in the right mind really say that outloud ?!?
1) You'd never know if the ICE car horsepower was down, no way to measure this unless your on a dyno.
2) EPA mileage vs. real world mileage is the same situation on an ICE car vs. BEV. Niether one will meet EPA values, unless extreme measure as taken to purposely meet it.

The point is no one notices or cares about ICE cars, they buy a big A$$ V8 and they know the mileage will suck and just expect there to be a ton of horsepower.

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and afadeev

Normal.

246 miles at 90% is about 273 miles at 100%, which is a drop of 12% from new. This is well within the normal amount of calendar degradation that people are experiencing. I say calendar because mileage doesn't seem to matter very much. My 2018 with 200,000 miles has about 278 miles at 100%.

Someone bought a used ICE car - the horsepower and mileage are way down. Not to worry. There is a gas station on every corner.
Would anyone in the right mind really say that outloud ?!?

That's not the same thing. Your example points to horsepower and mileage (efficiency), which is not the same as energy storage. EV energy storage degrades as the batteries age, which becomes less of an issue as more charging locations get built. The number of gas stations obviously has nothing to do with horsepower.

Reactions: 804son
That's not the same thing. Your example points to horsepower and mileage (efficiency), which is not the same as energy storage.

You may not realize, but the two are correlated.
Lower battery SOC is positively correlated with lower HP.

EV energy storage degrades as the batteries age, which becomes less of an issue as more charging locations get built.

The problem (battery degradation) is in no way alleviated by the proposed remedy (more frequent charging).

The number of gas stations obviously has nothing to do with horsepower.

Duah,
About as much as the # of EV chargers with decreasing battery capacity!

a

• Disagree
Reactions: 804son
2018 Performance Model 3 had 299 miles range, not 310
This is incorrect.

It is correct for the 2020 Performance (299 20”, 304 19”, 322 18”)
To be exact, 299 was the initial M3P range for 2018 and 2019 models.
That’s incorrect. The 2018 and 2019 was advertised as 310 miles rated range even with 20” wheels.

There was a lot of discussion at the time from Troy/Teslike and others about what could actually be achieved with 20” wheel option, but that did not change the EPA rating of the vehicle which was advertised and sold.

For example:
I had never seen either 299 or 310 miles in my 2019 MY TM3P. It was about 292 on
I took delivery of my 2018 Model 3 Performance and it had 310 rated miles and stayed that way for several months, probably closer to 6-9 months.

They (2018 model 3 performance) were rated for 310 miles range new, but changed the rating of the car from 310 to 299 to account for the wheels they delivered the car with, which were not accounted for in that 310 mile rating.
This occurred in 2020, not in 2018, or 2019.

Regardless of whether Tesla at some point on some website or somewhere in a Tweet said the 2018/2019 Performance had 299 miles of range (I don’t think they did, but perhaps I do not recall correctly and am wrong on that point), the correct number to use for initial capacity of the 2018/2019 Performance Model 3 is 310 miles - however, notably, this corresponding to a minimum energy of 76kWh which is far less than what the vehicle started with.

The vehicle actually usually started with about 78kWh, which displayed as 310 miles, but can be thought of as 317.5 rated miles. This is why most cars usually did not show range loss for a few months (e.g. @KenC has a 5yo car - not Performance, but irrelevant - which still displays nearly 310 miles!).

So actually if you want to compare to initial capacity, use 317.5 miles.

317.5 rated miles * 245Wh/rmi = 77.8kWh

IMG_9660.jpeg

(For a 2020, you use 299, 304, or 322 depending on wheel choice. Which all correspond to about 77.8kWh. These vehicles immediately started to show range loss.)

Sometime in mid-2019, a firmware/software update was released that claimed to unlock additional performance and range.
Yes
Afterwards, official advertised range for new cars went up to 310 miles.
It actually went to 322 rated miles. But only for 2020 model year. See above.

The OP’s car has 67kWh, according to the BMS, which is an estimate (the most accurate estimate in the world for this pack), which is 14% loss. Normal-high loss.

67kWh /77.8kWh or 273/317.5

Last edited:

• The speeds.
  • Ambient temps.
  • Something else.
Drive it - and find out!

HTH,
a
And the number one factor nobody considers is wind resistance. As speed doubles drag quadruple’s. That 4X…. A huge factor. A headwind destroys your range.