Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model Y 2021 and when I charge it to 90%, I only get a max of 263 miles. I don't use Sentry mode, have done a battery reset and don't do anything really irregular. The advertised range on the Tesla Model Y 2021 is 330 miles, so at a 90% charge level, I need to be getting about 297 miles. I can understand some loss in range with usage, but my gap is a whopping 36 miles (297 - 263) - about 15%! My car is less than 2 years old and has gone around 28k miles. I have opened tickets with Tesla and they are wishy washy with this and have asked me to do a few things before I reached out again. I have done these, but still no luck. I am about to report back to Tesla, but wanted to know if anybody else here ran into this and eventually addressed it? Thanks for your help!
Btw, even when the car shows 263 miles, I never get that much because I do understand it is due to climate, driving patterns etc.. My core question is around the net capacity that the battery shows when it is 90% charged. Thank you for your help!

I have opened tickets with Tesla and they are wishy washy with this and have asked me to do a few things before I reached out again. I have done these, but still no luck. I am about to report back to Tesla, but wanted to know if anybody else here ran into this and eventually addressed it?

There is no "addressing it" by tesla. That sounds dry, but its the truth. Its possible that your car has an imbalance in its estimation of capacity, and there are things you can do to try to address that visual imbalance.

There is nothing (zip, nada, zilch, add any other word in here for "nothing" you want) that tesla will do for you until or unless your car hits the battery warranty threshhold, reported by the data from the car (not a third party monitoring utility).

If your car has a rated range of 330 miles at 100%, there is no reason at all to contact tesla about range of your car unless it hits 70% of that number, at 100%, or 231 miles range showing at 100% charge (not extrapolated from a 50% charge or something).

Again, I apologize if that sounds a bit dry, but its the truth, and this exact question is asked several times each day here on TMC in one subforum or another. I have a 250+ Page thread in the model 3 subforum (which has the same battery as your car) with the same basic question, with the same basic answer, for 250 pages.

If you are interested in the "what are you suggesting about re balancing the battery" part, read the first post in this thread, and you can try that. Note that it might help you change the number on the screen, but the number on the screen for capacity doesnt necessarily mean thats what your capacity is.

Great advice above and I would add that the only true way to check up on battery health is to charge it to 100% and then drive it down to zero. Then look at the energy in kwh you were able to pull out of the battery.

Range estimations, because they can vary so wildly with things like weather, temperature, elevation changes, number of people in car, etc are not a good predictor at all off battery health. It's an estimate only. The amount of energy your able to pull out will tell the true story.

Great advice above and I would add that the only true way to check up on battery health is to charge it to 100% and then drive it down to zero. Then look at the energy in kwh you were able to pull out of the battery.

Range estimations, because they can vary so wildly with things like weather, temperature, elevation changes, number of people in car, etc are not a good predictor at all off battery health. It's an estimate only. The amount of energy your able to pull out will tell the true story.

You can also calculate your battery capacity, using the information on the cars screens only (no third party apps) with the process we have stickied in the model 3 subforum.

Reactions: Jones1