Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range of opticoat coats or quotes!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long ago did you get it done?

It was probably March or April of this year. I don't know if he used the primer or did multiple coats. I can ask.

The water does bead, but I wouldn't call it "like crazy". It beads, but there ends up being a lot of water still on the car, instead of rolling off. So it takes some effort to get the car dry after washing and avoiding water spots.

It was probably March or April of this year. I don't know if he used the primer or did multiple coats. I can ask.

The water does bead, but I wouldn't call it "like crazy". It beads, but there ends up being a lot of water still on the car, instead of rolling off. So it takes some effort to get the car dry after washing and avoiding water spots.

If your vehicle sits out a lot, maybe at the airport, you could need a decon wash. Cquartz reset shampoo works great on any coating. I use it on my clients cars and my LEAF every 6 months which sits out at the airport 40-70 hours a week. For my clients I suggest once a year.

In the end, the quality of your installer is the key. We approach the way we care for our client's cars like a physician approaches caring for a patient. You need to evaluate the vehicle, listen to client and his/her needs, then come up with a solution that is the best fit for the vehicle and its owner. The WHY of a particular product or procedure should be just as important as the BRAND of product. I cannot tell you how many times clients will call me and say "I want the XPEL stuff and OptiCoat"...I ask them to let me know a little about their car and their use, and why they feel those products are the match for them. Most of the time, they just read it here and are following the advice of others. Although great products, it may not be right for YOU and YOUR situation.

Always better to give as much info about your needs and wants and let the professional give you the advice you're paying him/her to give you. Seldom are two installers alike, hence why you may get different recommendations and different pricing. You're ultimately paying for the experience, expertise, value, and "network" of the installer you're about to tap yourself into. As in business, you will pay more for results...because in the long run, it saves you money. So, next time if you're wondering why someone is charging $600 and another quoted you $1200, ask them to walk you through their routine and what is included. Don't be sticker shocked and turned off by the higher number. If anything, be intrigued WHY? You may be surprised what VALUE is behind that larger number that trumps the lower cost of the lower quote.

Moe, couldn't agree more. Now if PPF or a coating is something the situation calls for then of course XPEL and Opti will be a great choice. While some other products out there are very good none stand out as better, maybe equal at best. Range in pricing is usually different for the reasons you stated. You also have mobile guys vs a shop where more overhead exists. Shops though have the advantage that they are controlled environments. That alone will almost always beat a mobile installers installation results. Different regions also have different pricing. Like you said, talk with the installer and see whats involved with their installation.

Well if its beading its working. I would add a good wax/sealant over the entire surface to make it more hydrophobic as it sounds like thats what you are really looking for. This will also bring out the shine again and its recommended to do this. Remember nothing is a magic bullet but Opti is still there protecting your clear coat from chemicals.

A local OptiCoat pro installer has switched to another product. He says that the switch is due to Optimum Car Car jacking up its fees.
Just can't buy the Pro without the warranty anymore so its considered included in the price. Dealers used to have the option to sell the product with or without the warranty. I personally think its a good thing to only come with the warranty now. This differentiates to Pro from the consumer version. For the consumer they know what they are getting this way and have some comfort Optimum is standing behind their product. They can check status of their warranty online too. Without the warranty your assuming the installer used Pro. This was not the case as some installers were passing off 2.0 as pro.

Nope. It inside the garage every night and workday. It's outside only when I'm driving it. ;)

Here is OptiCoat Pro on an Audi after 22 months. I just gave it a decon wash with reset.

OptiCoat Pro at 22 months Audi S5 - YouTube

If yours is not "acting" like that I would try the reset.

Otherwise what does your installer say? At a minimum if you are not happy, he should be doing a reset wash for you to see whats going on.

As noted above, some do like to add a wax or sealant over OCP. OptiSeal is very easy to use after a wash, it is a wipe on and walk away type of product. You could also use Optimum car wax. Its a liquid wax that can sprayed on and rinsed off. So after washing and your final rinse, spray OCW (optimum car wax) on one section at a time (hood, fender or door) and rinse again.

Moe, couldn't agree more. Now if PPF or a coating is something the situation calls for then of course XPEL and Opti will be a great choice. While some other products out there are very good none stand out as better, maybe equal at best. Range in pricing is usually different for the reasons you stated. You also have mobile guys vs a shop where more overhead exists. Shops though have the advantage that they are controlled environments. That alone will almost always beat a mobile installers installation results. Different regions also have different pricing. Like you said, talk with the installer and see whats involved with their installation.

I'm OCD and have never been a fan of PPF, hard to believe, considering I install it ;) XPEL was a game-changer when it came to orange peel reduction and an amazing top coat that self healed and did not dull like ventureshield did back in the day. But, when someone would ask, "Moe, would you clear bra your car"? My answer would still be only if I had to. Until, Suntek Topcoated came along. I was amazed of its clarity and how little orange peel it had. It was also the whitest film I had seen...even the best films will be slightly yellow right out of the box. So, now, if we have a client that is more concerned about the "looks" of the film and/or if they have a more challenging installation, like a Porsche GT3 bumper that we want to wrap in 1 piece without any stretch marks, we use Suntek. But, there is a downside compared to the industry-standard XPEL Ultimate...Suntek doesn't seem to be as durable when it comes to rock chips as compared to Ultimate. There is no film on the market that will satisfy ALL aspects, so you find the one that meets most of your criteria. So, once again, it comes down to me finding out the right information from my client and helping him/her choose the best film for THEIR needs. I think as a responsible professional, that's what they pay me to help them do. Offer the right choice of products, in this case two of the best performing films on the market, that solves their problem.

Opticoat is a great product, and I think it does what its suppose to well. I've opted to go the nano route using CQuartz Finest because I like the "look" and performance that Finest gives. But more importantly, I like the solid support structure that CarPro gives its installers...I've yet to see any manufacturer come close to that level of support. In my 20 years of doing this profession, I've seen many things. I've just learned to do business with a company based on its people and their business ethics, and not solely on if they have a few great products. We've found a great network that meets those needs when it comes to CarPro.

I'm OCD and have never been a fan of PPF, hard to believe, considering I install it ;) XPEL was a game-changer when it came to orange peel reduction and an amazing top coat that self healed and did not dull like ventureshield did back in the day. But, when someone would ask, "Moe, would you clear bra your car"? My answer would still be only if I had to. Until, Suntek Topcoated came along. I was amazed of its clarity and how little orange peel it had. It was also the whitest film I had seen...even the best films will be slightly yellow right out of the box. So, now, if we have a client that is more concerned about the "looks" of the film and/or if they have a more challenging installation, like a Porsche GT3 bumper that we want to wrap in 1 piece without any stretch marks, we use Suntek. But, there is a downside compared to the industry-standard XPEL Ultimate...Suntek doesn't seem to be as durable when it comes to rock chips as compared to Ultimate. There is no film on the market that will satisfy ALL aspects, so you find the one that meets most of your criteria. So, once again, it comes down to me finding out the right information from my client and helping him/her choose the best film for THEIR needs. I think as a responsible professional, that's what they pay me to help them do. Offer the right choice of products, in this case two of the best performing films on the market, that solves their problem.

Opticoat is a great product, and I think it does what its suppose to well. I've opted to go the nano route using CQuartz Finest because I like the "look" and performance that Finest gives. But more importantly, I like the solid support structure that CarPro gives its installers...I've yet to see any manufacturer come close to that level of support. In my 20 years of doing this profession, I've seen many things. I've just learned to do business with a company based on its people and their business ethics, and not solely on if they have a few great products. We've found a great network that meets those needs when it comes to CarPro.

Moe, I agree with you on Suntek. Reason we do not use it is the warranty is only 5 years and like you said its not as durable and the whole point is to protect your paint but it does look really good. We will install it for someone if they only want that film but we only stock the XPEL Ultimate and prefer to use it. Like you also said about CarPro we too also look at the support we get as a major factor in the products we carry. XPEL treats us like family. Can't ask for much more than that.

Moe, I agree with you on Suntek. Reason we do not use it is the warranty is only 5 years and like you said its not as durable and the whole point is to protect your paint but it does look really good. We will install it for someone if they only want that film but we only stock the XPEL Ultimate and prefer to use it. Like you also said about CarPro we too also look at the support we get as a major factor in the products we carry. XPEL treats us like family. Can't ask for much more than that.

XPEL's customer service is second to none!! Their 10 year warranty is one of the main reasons it's our #1 selling film. But, I've got clients that get in and out of their cars every few years and to them warranty isn't the big selling point, the "look" is. So, nice to have a product line that caters to both crowds. Ultimately, you have to figure out what works for you in your market. It seems you've got that covered :)

-We just recently switched to Pro this year when we became a dealer of Optimum. Made sense for us as 2.0 is no more and we have had good success with the Optimum line. Been using 2.0 for many years though. We do carry Gloss Coating for those with a smaller budget or no need for long term protection. Had my hands on some Pro here and there over the past couple years so not exactly new to it.
-Don't really keep count but would guess hundreds by now (including other coatings).
-Nothing is better of course, I am an Opti-Coat dealer :) IMO I prefer Opti-Coat over them all but have nothing against the others. Some great products out there. We really like the Optimum line of products as a whole, so we try to use them mostly. Long as you understand no product is a magic bullet.
-We are in Valencia or as many explain its near Magic Mountain.

autoskinz thanks for the reply and info

Last edited: