Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RDU replacement, is 1002633-01-N too old?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welp, my car quickly went from running great to "vehicle may not restart" to "electrical system power reduced" to "unable to drive, voltage too low"... all within about 3 hours. Local Tesla service said my RDU needed replacement. Is a 2014 P85D w/ 102k miles.

My question is, the part number on the quote is 1002633- 01-N. Is that an old/out dated part number? I thought people were getting
1002633- 01-Q, but maybe that's nor important? I just didn't wanna go through all this and get an outdated part if a newer, possibly better built unit, was available.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what is better unit. Many folks around here speculate that refurbishing process is not very consistent nor addresses all the issues that a drive unit might have. That would explain why some folks get much shorter life out of their reman DUs. My original lasted 92K miles/7 years on our 11/13 built S85. The reman Q DU has been fine over the last 3 years/40K miles. Hope you get an answer that is more helpful, but I'm not sure anyone can tell you what a better built unit would be. I think we all just accept that 99.5% of us aren't capable of properly rebuilding a DU and so we rely on Tesla and 3rd party shops to supply us with a replacement while we knock on wood that we might get at least another 100K miles out of it.

Reactions: David Harvey
I'm dealing with this right now....2014 60kw 131k miles.

I bought the car about 2 years ago, less then 1 year off a LDU warranty replacement. Last week I got the "vehicle may not start". I drove home without issue and plugged into my level 2 charger. All was fine. About a month or so ago I got a low coolant level warning and topped off the coolant. I thought I'd tear the frunk apart to search for the leak when time allowed....I found it. Coolant in the LDU. I was quoted $6k for a brand new LDU, $7500 total replacemt cost. The car has been parked since this happened on Tuesday I believe as I haggle with Tesla about a cheaper option.

This morning I got an updated quote with a reman LDU and it's the "u" version.....I'm hearing that this version doesn't have coolant flowing around/through the drive shaft in the unit? It's lowered the quote by $1k. I'm dropping it off Monday. Hopefully the next owner in 2024 will appreciate the updated part #.

Were you given a loaner when you had your replacement done?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231118_121125_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20231118_121125_Drive.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 42
Need Help: Rear Drive Unit Replacement $6k

Check that thread where I've been communicating with some other members about this issue. A couple of them are telling me that the "u" version has been altered. My information comes from there alone, I'm unsure. I just got the revised estimate with the reman part# this morning, haven't attempted to verify.

• Helpful
Reactions: Droschke
I'm dealing with this right now....2014 60kw 131k miles.

I bought the car about 2 years ago, less then 1 year off a LDU warranty replacement. Last week I got the "vehicle may not start". I drove home without issue and plugged into my level 2 charger. All was fine. About a month or so ago I got a low coolant level warning and topped off the coolant. I thought I'd tear the frunk apart to search for the leak when time allowed....I found it. Coolant in the LDU. I was quoted $6k for a brand new LDU, $7500 total replacemt cost. The car has been parked since this happened on Tuesday I believe as I haggle with Tesla about a cheaper option.

This morning I got an updated quote with a reman LDU and it's the "u" version.....I'm hearing that this version doesn't have coolant flowing around/through the drive shaft in the unit? It's lowered the quote by $1k. I'm dropping it off Monday. Hopefully the next owner in 2024 will appreciate the updated part #.

Were you given a loaner when you had your replacement done?
Yes, I was given a loaner through Tesla from Enterprise. They took about 10 days from beginning to end, since they also replaced the HV contactors, pyro fuse, and 12V battery while they were doing the drive unit. Of my 4 times at Tesla Service Center, I decline their loan 3 times since I live jogging distance away and have other vehicles to drive. I just wanted the loaner that one time to see what I missing compared to the newer Model S cars.