Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Re: Buying a Showroom Inventory with Scratch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMDeejay

Oct 22, 2018
USA
Long story short, I went to Tesla with the intentions of purchasing a car today. Exchanged a few emails with the Owner Advisor and received a quote for a showroom inventory Model X 100D.

In the grand scheme of things, a couple of thousand dollars doesn't seem much (2 - 3%), but we were pleased with the test drive and was about to head back into the store to sort out payment.

Unfortunately, I took one last look around the car and found that there was a rather size-able scratch near the back passenger door. Probably 3 inches in length and definitely deep enough that it would require repair. Almost looked like it was scratched from a barb wire ending or nail. The scratch wasn't super new because it looked like someone had already applied a clear coating solution over it. I was willing to take some minor blemishes (despite it having < 70 miles), but the scratch was a little too much to ignore. The store manager and employees, acted as if they had no knowledge that the scratch was there prior to my visit.

Given that I had received a quote before my visit today, I had asked if they could make further adjustments to the price. The simple answer was, "No, price is 'as is', and Elon doesn't negotiate". Sure I respect the philosophy, but I had a quote already on a presumed new MDX that was driven < 70 miles, that now has a 3 inch scratch. The store manager prefaced that she can try to get the blemish repaired at no cost, but it would take weeks - months. I thought my request for an adjustment was reasonable because there was no incentive of me buying a 118K car with a deep 3 inch scratch for a 2.4% discount.

Anyone had similar experiences in the past where they found significant blemishes on the demo/inventory car? Was your Tesla store or manager more flexible with the adjustment?

Attachments

• IMG_20181022_175652.jpg
    IMG_20181022_175652.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 215
  • Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
So what happens if there are imperfections on a new order? Are you strongarmed into buying the car as is with out a reasonable adjustment?

a] your order isn't a new order
b] they usually fix whatever issues you present. (which you admit they offered to do for you here). If you keep this car for many years, what does it matter if the scratch is fixed tomorrow or next month? For all you know, you could get another scratch 3 months down the line, or tomorrow. While annoying, cosmetic problems have never stopped me from enjoying a car.

I have bought two inventory vehicles and both had blemishes similar to what your picture shows. No price adjustment but Tesla was happy repair them, at their cost. There were some minor wear issues that I was happy to accept, given the inventory discount, but any blemish that went down to the metal I asked to be addressed, since the car was being sold as "new".

Last edited:
Is that just a scratch, or is the metal dented a little bit?

If it's an inventory car that matches your desired spec, I'd just accept their free repair, get the car, and move on to just enjoying it as much as possible. Once repaired, it will look as good as new and have no effect on resale value. Cars get scratched and dented. As mentioned above, you could drive off the lot and get a dent or scratch a lot worse than that.

a] your order isn't a new order
b] they usually fix whatever issues you present. (which you admit they offered to do for you here). If you keep this car for many years, what does it matter if the scratch is fixed tomorrow or next month? For all you know, you could get another scratch 3 months down the line, or tomorrow. While annoying, cosmetic problems have never stopped me from enjoying a car.

I whole heartedly agree. I actually don't mind the scratch and certainly expect normal wear and tear over the time of ownership. Just curious what their policy was and if someone had similar experiences. The folks at the store was nice and I had an overall good experience. But didn't feel comfortable to buy it as is (at near full price) without the certainty that it would be addressed in a timely fashion.