Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Re-Treaded Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know why semi trucks have blow outs? Recall seeing tons of shredded tires on highways? All retreads. Sure cheaper and in your case you want to recycle, but retreads tend to be less safe on the road and fail more often.

Don't buy retreads. They are not as safe as new tires.

Reactions: AMPd and MP3Mike
Just Google, you can buy retreads. You should also check out articles on why you should and should not use retreads.

I was looking. Can't find any for cars.... just trucks.

Retreads appear to be just as good as new tires. They meet the same DOT standards. I guess it could make sense that they're more prone to failure if driven on under inflated but with TPMS being standard on all new vehicles this risk is significantly reduced.

I was looking. Can't find any for cars.... just trucks.

Retreads appear to be just as good as new tires. They meet the same DOT standards. I guess it could make sense that they're more prone to failure if driven on under inflated but with TPMS being standard on all new vehicles this risk is significantly reduced.
This should get you started

Reactions: nwdiver
You know why semi trucks have blow outs? Recall seeing tons of shredded tires on highways? All retreads. Sure cheaper and in your case you want to recycle, but retreads tend to be less safe on the road and fail more often.

Don't buy retreads. They are not as safe as new tires.
I had one blowout in 25 years of airline flying. It was a new tire. Airline tires are retreaded many times.

I had one blowout in 25 years of airline flying. It was a new tire. Airline tires are retreaded many times.
And the tires that gave us the most trouble at my airline were retreads. New tires were more reliable. Then in COVID era of flying, they went back to retreads to save money and we saw an increase in blow outs again. Moment we went back to new tires again, they decreased.