Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RE71R AutoX life? eedback?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently considering trading my Supercharged C7 Corvette for a Model 3 Performance. One concern I have is how fast RE71R's will wear at AutoX? The corvette isn't too hard on tires as is. I know a lack of camber is a problem on these cars. I currently have a brand new pair of 255/40/18 RE71R's that I bought for the C7 that would be repurposed for the Model 3 if I buy it and obviously I would add another pair to match.

I run 8-10 events a year with my local club, 4-6 runs an event and we have 30-50 second courses. I am wondering if it is unrealistic to hope to get an entire season on a set of RE71Rs?

Can't speak on the direct life of the RE71R's, especially when used in a high friction environment like AutoX. A lot of variables will impact the tire life expectancy, such as how "smooth" your driving style is through the cones, what are the ambient & pavement temps on race day(s), how coarse the pavement is at your local parking lot/track, etc.

What I can speak to is that even with track mode in my Performance model, I find the TM3's tend to understeer. You can upgrade to adjustable sway bars to try to force the rear end to break loose easier but your driving style on the track will still dictate more on the quickness of the wear.

Another thing I noticed is that the TM3's OEM alignment specs tends to favor a rather aggressive toe-in set-up on the rears. I can appreciate a front toe-in spec from factory to allow the car to track straight but the rears?? I kept my toe alignments within factory specs but kept the toe-in as minimal as my shop could get it for each of front and rear. That would certainly help extend the life of the tires a bit more. I also wouldn't worry too much about the camber; it's the toe spec that puts more wear on tires anyway. Besides, you can always just lower the car to gain camber OR you could simply just buy camber kits to adjust it to your liking.

I think they would last a full season. That's only about 30 miles! You can always flip (dismount and remount) if they're wearing more on the outside (which they will). Toe makes no difference for tire wear at autocross.

+1 to that, they should last.

But don't go to Firestone Tire, i tried to have them remount and they claimed they couldn't because it would cause "irregular wear". I tried pointing out the existing irregular wear and explained that was WHY i wanted to remount, but no dice.

I just left shaking my head haha

• Funny
Reactions: mcbarnet007
Thanks all!

I think they would last a full season. That's only about 30 miles! You can always flip (dismount and remount) if they're wearing more on the outside (which they will). Toe makes no difference for tire wear at autocross.

I just needed a sanity check with everyone saying how fast they shred their 4S’s at AutoX but the RE71Rs seem to hold up better on the shoulders and even more so if I run some crazy pressure in them. (I chunked the shoulders on 4S’s in a 70+ MPH slide in my corvette)

I will be driving on them to the lot but it’s 60 miles round trip so pretty insignificant over the season.

Thanks all!

I just needed a sanity check with everyone saying how fast they shred their 4S’s at AutoX but the RE71Rs seem to hold up better on the shoulders and even more so if I run some crazy pressure in them. (I chunked the shoulders on 4S’s in a 70+ MPH slide in my corvette)

I will be driving on them to the lot but it’s 60 miles round trip so pretty insignificant over the season.
They're way better than the PS4S for durability at the track and autocross. Personally I would get the Hankook R-S4 because they last much longer but RE71Rs are faster.

They're way better than the PS4S for durability at the track and autocross. Personally I would get the Hankook R-S4 because they last much longer but RE71Rs are faster.

Already have a brand new pair of 255/40/18 RE71Rs out in the garage that were destined for the front of the vette. I’d sell the 285 rears and buy another pair of 255’s then reevaluate when it’s time for tires again.

One last tid bit - i've noticed some people have no problems and others SHRED tires when on track. Be careful about over-driving the car and they should last the season.

I think the weight of the car makes it far less forgiving when pushed to the edge compared to other vehicles.

Reactions: SD_Engnr