Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real SUV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Normal SUV: These body on ladder frame construction, primarily RWD with FWD as a secondary system. Towing capacity is 6,000-9,200 lb continuous duty, all terrain, all temperatures. Think Range Rover/Grand Cherokee/Durango/Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban/Escalade/Land Cruiser/QX80/Armada/Navigator/Expedition/Sequoia/etc. Top capacity is 9 adults.

'Jeeps': Shorter ladder/body cars with 4x4 available, primarily RWD. Not safe for heavy towing.

CUV's: Unibody designs, most are FWD as primary. Not safe for heavy towing.

The Bollinger only has a 200 mile range, so even with Supercharger access it would not be much of a highway vehicle. I'm sure with the aerodynamics that it has, the highway range would be less than that.

That's the issue with a "real" SUV -- the aerodynamics cut the range so much. With an ICE SUV, you just put in a bigger gas tank. Adding more battery adds more weight, then a heavier suspension to carry the weight, then your range goes down so you add more battery...
When will we get the "magic car" that does EVERYTHING? commuter, truck, SUV, camper, van ... you get the idea.

I think the Tesla pickup could be a drivable "skateboard" with a front cab. The advantage is large scale production of single design. The rear extension could be a long bed, crew cab, fifth wheel, work van, delivery van, people mover, RV etc. The extension could be provided by third parties and have industry standard mounting points to the chassis.

I feel sorry for the guy, I really like his vids

Can't feel sorry for people who can take an expensive car not designed to be here....knowing what likely will happen. Those of us who work very hard for what we have will always appreciate, respect and care for the cars we drive. Not sure which is worse, the fact he did this or the fact he did this and posted a video that he did....

Can't feel sorry for people who can take an expensive car not designed to be here....knowing what likely will happen. Those of us who work very hard for what we have will always appreciate, respect and care for the cars we drive. Not sure which is worse, the fact he did this or the fact he did this and posted a video that he did....
I think he got the car free from referrals, and the referrals came from his doing videos. Destroying the car doing a video completes the circle.

I think the Tesla pickup could be a drivable "skateboard" with a front cab. The advantage is large scale production of single design. The rear extension could be a long bed, crew cab, fifth wheel, work van, delivery van, people mover, RV etc. The extension could be provided by third parties and have industry standard mounting points to the chassis.

I think this is the key to getting into more markets. This could make a work truck, mail truck, delivery van, ambulance, etc. When I was on Safari in South Africa a couple of years ago I couldn't help being frustrated by the diesel Land Rovers that they used where they were starting and shutting off the engine every 50 meters or less sometimes. A quiet off road hauler like that would be perfect. They typically run two shifts a day where they would go less than 50km each, so as long as they have the power to charge they'd work out great.

I think this is the key to getting into more markets. This could make a work truck, mail truck, delivery van, ambulance, etc. When I was on Safari in South Africa a couple of years ago I couldn't help being frustrated by the diesel Land Rovers that they used where they were starting and shutting off the engine every 50 meters or less sometimes. A quiet off road hauler like that would be perfect. They typically run two shifts a day where they would go less than 50km each, so as long as they have the power to charge they'd work out great.
I thought the same thing when I did an African Safari 10 years ago, the problem is they do not have the power infrastructure to be able to charge. It could be done but so far no one wants to spend the money to make it happen, the diesel was the only negative to what was one of the best trips I ever did.

The first lodge we stayed at near Kruger park was powered by solar. Not sure what they did for storage - must have had a battery bank somewhere. There was no AC and they were pretty stingy with the lighting, but it seemed to work OK.