Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World Heat Pump Effect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Electric Steve
Hi,

Just wanted to ask that anybody with a model y what the actual effect of the heat pump is and how it benefits or effects the range and kWh per mile. Thanks!!
It's going to depend on your drive cycles, but here is a mode efficiency graph from the patent.
COP of 1 is the same as current resistive heating, COP of 2 means it is only using half the energy compared to resistive.

SmartSelect_20200315-121420_Firefox.jpg

It's going to depend on your drive cycles, but here is a mode efficiency graph from the patent.
COP of 1 is the same as current resistive heating,
COP of 2 means it is only using half the energy compared to resistive.
MYHeatPumpV.jpg

Thank you for this graph, but I'm a little puzzle understand its valuable content...
I have an Electrical Engineering degree, but my thermodynamics knowledge is very basic.

I remember Bjørn Nyland mentioning that the efficiency (CoP) of an Heat Pump has some limits when it starts to be very cold outside,
because there is not too much heat to transfer and electrical heating of a liquid and a pump can become more efficient than using a compressor.
But may be he was making reference to the stationary camping mode and not when driving?

I wonder if future Model 3 will get retrofited, at least get this option for some countries like Canada or Europe.

cop_heat_pump_theoretical.png

Last edited:
View attachment 523633
Thank you for this graph, but I'm a little puzzle understand its valuable content...
I have an Electrical Engineering degree, but my thermodynamics knowledge is very basic.

I remember Bjørn Nyland mentioning that the efficiency (CoP) of an Heat Pump has some limits when it starts to be very cold outside,
because there is not too much heat to transfer and electrical heating of a liquid and a pump can become more efficient than using a compressor.
But may be he was making reference to the stationary camping mode and not when driving?

I wonder if future Model 3 will get retrofited, at least get this option for some countries like Canada or Europe.

placeholder_image.svg
Yeah, it's a bit atypical and I go into the details more in the resistive vs heat pump thread.
Basically, in the simplest version of the system, they do not have an ambient air evaporator to draw heat from the surrounding environment.
The refrigerant system is not set up for typical heat pump cold weather operation. Rather, the heat sources are the pack/ drive unit coolant loop, the cabin evaporator, and the compressor motor (via mechanical work and also inefficient drive waveforms like the drive units on the 3 for pack heating).

Due to this, the normal ideal thermal engine efficiency curve does not apply, but they also do not need to worry about frosting over the evaporator.
I think there is too much that needs replaced to cost effectively retrofit existing 3s, but I could see new ones being built with this system.

Patent link: US20190070924A1 - Optimal source electric vehicle heat pump with extreme temperature heating capability and efficient thermal preconditioning - Google Patents

Simple version:SmartSelect_20200315-113247_Firefox.jpg

Hoping someone can tell us in the real world how much this benefits not losing so much range.

Too many variables mixed together for a clear answer. Every Y has the heat pump, so efficiency differences between the Y and other cars will be mixed in - and the efficiency gain of the heat pump is going to be variable with temperature and humidity as well.

Reactions: mongo
Too many variables mixed together for a clear answer. Every Y has the heat pump, so efficiency differences between the Y and other cars will be mixed in - and the efficiency gain of the heat pump is going to be variable with temperature and humidity as well.
True, however the more data minded drivers out there could log their energy usage on their commute over the year along with temp and humidity. Then we could look at seasonal variation.

Reactions: Saghost
True, however the more data minded drivers out there could log their energy usage on their commute over the year along with temp and humidity. Then we could look at seasonal variation.

Services like TeslaFI will do that automatically, I think including the temperature (not sure about humidity.)

We just need a mass of Y data (and 3 or X data) to wade through.

Reactions: mongo