TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Real World HPWC Charging Curve

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Pmacafee, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Pmacafee

Pmacafee Member

I have to install multiple HPWCs at a single location and not sure about the total load that will be created. Can someone tell me what their experience is with the charging curve on a HPWC? There are some very informative posts about what the the Model S draw down is on a Supercharger over an hour or so but can't find any postings about the HPWC, probably becuase they are just getting distributed.

Philip Macafee

2. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

#2 bluetinc, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    Hey Philip,

I don't have an HPWC, but I have my own box that provides the same 80A to the S. During standard charging I see the car draw the full 80A after a ramp-up of 15 seconds or so. This then continues until the car finishes the standard charge (up to ~4 hours later), with a very quick ramp down. For a range charge you will see some ramp down over the last few miles you hear about on the superchargers but by this point you have had up to 5 hours at full load and the ramp down time is in the 10-20 min range. All in all, if you are planning multiple HPWCs, you need to be able to support the full load that they will draw.

Peter

Edit: Almost all my notes of this are when charging in the cold (Sub 32 degrees), and there isn't a clear way for me to tell which part of the charge is going to charging vs. heat.

3. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

bluetinc, are you the person who made the RV camp setup that uses (2) 14-50s? If so, we are curious to see a schematic (possibly) of how you wired it up, including all of the contactors etc needed for phase matching etc.

4. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

Yes, there is a decrease over time but it only begins after the battery is 70% full or more. You'll need to plan for the full load of all of them.

5. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Is this at a business location?
    I was hoping PMACAFE was a cafe in San Francisco:)

6. Pmacafee

Pmacafee Member

No, I get my coffee at Peets, I have a corporate sedan service (business class limousine) and will get my first Model S next week and have 10 more reserved if that first one goes well.

7. Bradleybang

Bradleybang Member

Hey, I just recognized you are from "Quicksilver". I am a frequent customer. A big congrats on the Model S order. I would love to get my rides in an S!