Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World HPWC Charging Curve

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to install multiple HPWCs at a single location and not sure about the total load that will be created. Can someone tell me what their experience is with the charging curve on a HPWC? There are some very informative posts about what the the Model S draw down is on a Supercharger over an hour or so but can't find any postings about the HPWC, probably becuase they are just getting distributed.

Philip Macafee

Hey Philip,

I don't have an HPWC, but I have my own box that provides the same 80A to the S. During standard charging I see the car draw the full 80A after a ramp-up of 15 seconds or so. This then continues until the car finishes the standard charge (up to ~4 hours later), with a very quick ramp down. For a range charge you will see some ramp down over the last few miles you hear about on the superchargers but by this point you have had up to 5 hours at full load and the ramp down time is in the 10-20 min range. All in all, if you are planning multiple HPWCs, you need to be able to support the full load that they will draw.

Peter

Edit: Almost all my notes of this are when charging in the cold (Sub 32 degrees), and there isn't a clear way for me to tell which part of the charge is going to charging vs. heat.

Last edited: