Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Realistic range for M3P+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new M3P+ is telling me I have a full range of 299 miles. I am keeping it charged at 80%, which usually seems to report around 267 miles of range. I am still in the honeymoon lead foot stage with this car, and regularly see my range drop by at least 20% more than my actual driving distance. I always assumed that the 299 would only be possible with extremely conservative driving, which defeats one of the main reasons for this car. For those of you that tend to be more spirited, what have you seen as a realistic range on a full or 80% charge?.

Its going to be around 200 ish likely, around this time of year, and more like 230 ish when it warms up a bit . One thing to remember is, it really doesnt matter if, if you have home charging anyway, because your car will always have a "full tank" when you leave home. Unless you are taking a trip, it doesnt really matter, other than a number for people to obsess over.

With the M3P+ the first thing you'll learn is to switch from miles to percent for the indicator. The miles left is unrealistic, and it's much better to use the trip planner under the energy app once you enter the location. That takes into account the speed limit, and elevation gain.

What you'll discover pretty soon is the freeway range in the PNW region for a M3P+ with 20inch tires is 250 miles with a 100% charge.

This allows me to go from Snohomish to Portland with a 90% charge where I arrive in Portland with about 10% left.

If it's a nice day in the Summer I can do this route with the speed set to 75mph or so in the 70 mph areas, and I can do 70mph in the 60mph areas.

If it's a mild day in the Winter I can do this route with the speed set to 70mph in the 70mph areas, and 65mph or so in the 60mph areas. Basically the cold weather means I have to slow down a bit. If it's raining I'll either have to charge to 100% or I'll have to stop at Centralia to charge for a bit.

If the 250 mile realistic range isn't enough you'll have to switch to 19" tires or 18" tires.

One of these days I plan on switching to 19" tires or 18" tires to see how much better the efficiency is.

I'd like to do that trip where I'm always doing 10 over the speed limit, but the M3P+ with the 20inch tires don't allow me to do that with a 90% charge. At least not if I want to arrive with around 10% left on the battery.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
If the 250 mile realistic range isn't enough you'll have to switch to 19" tires or 18" tires.

One of these days I plan on switching to 19" tires or 18" tires to see how much better the efficiency is.

I went from the OEM 20" wheels at about 28.75 lbs each to Titan7 T-S5 forged 18" wheels at 18.3 lbs each. My main goal was pothole damage protection (major 3.5 year I-5 roadwork project being done which is the main freeway I use).

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
My new M3P+ is telling me I have a full range of 299 miles. I am keeping it charged at 80%, which usually seems to report around 267 miles of range. I am still in the honeymoon lead foot stage with this car, and regularly see my range drop by at least 20% more than my actual driving distance. I always assumed that the 299 would only be possible with extremely conservative driving, which defeats one of the main reasons for this car. For those of you that tend to be more spirited, what have you seen as a realistic range on a full or 80% charge?.
Depends on a lot of factors: Temperature and interior climate settings. Wind is a biggie on road trips. If we set off on a road trip at 100% we can usually make it 150-200mi before first SC stop going between 75-90 and then plan to stop about every 90-130mi to stay in the fastest SC charging curve.

Stop and go in the city will be a lot closer to rated but even then don’t count on over 200 starting off at 80%.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I went from the OEM 20" wheels at about 28.75 lbs each to Titan7 T-S5 forged 18" wheels at 18.3 lbs each. My main goal was pothole damage protection (major 3.5 year I-5 roadwork project being done which is the main freeway I use).

When I need to replace the tires my plan is to get either 18" or 19" wheels, and then I'll sell the 20" rims piece meal to people who ruin their 20" wheels on pot holes.

Get more efficiency, and help out other 20" owners. :)

When I need to replace the tires my plan is to get either 18" or 19" wheels, and then I'll sell the 20" rims piece meal to people who ruin their 20" wheels on pot holes.

Get more efficiency, and help out other 20" owners. :)
I was considering doing it this way as well as I don’t intend to keep the 20’s long term in the interest of range and general distaste for just how easy it is to wind up having a bad day regarding kerb rash and or potholes wrecking the wheels. For the price I paid for my inventory P3D+ over a *new* P3D- however I still feel I came out ahead.

what have you seen as a realistic range on a full or 80% charge?.

You’re talking about the rated miles on the battery gauge, and those aren’t really related to your range. They just represent energy available. You find out the constant and then you know your energy.

Realistic range is about 150-200 miles. On the low side of that if you are charging to 70-80% on road trips.