Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 Standard Range Only 267 Miles After 5,500 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my 2023 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range in November 2022. When I first got it and charged (at home) to 100%, I had 272 miles of range. In June 2023, I now have around 5,500 miles on the car and when I charge (at home) to 100%, the max range is 267 miles. It's been consistently 267 miles at full charge the last month or two. Is this normal? I'm hoping the battery doesn't lose 5 miles of range every 5,000 miles of driving. Perhaps this is a matter of the car calibrating based on driving habits and environmental conditions and such. Thank you for your feedback!

I took delivery of my 2023 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range in November 2022. When I first got it and charged (at home) to 100%, I had 272 miles of range. In June 2023, I now have around 5,500 miles on the car and when I charge (at home) to 100%, the max range is 267 miles. It's been consistently 267 miles at full charge the last month or two. Is this normal? I'm hoping the battery doesn't lose 5 miles of range every 5,000 miles of driving. Perhaps this is a matter of the car calibrating based on driving habits and environmental conditions and such. Thank you for your feedback!
I took delivery of my 2023 Model3 (same as yours) in Nov 2022 also!

I am at 4300 Miles. I started at 274miles and now i get 268 miles at 100%. 1.6% degradation according to Tessie app.

How and when do you charge your car?

Upvote 0
Even if LFP have low degradation per cycle or mile, the big part of the degradation will come from calendar aging.
After 6 months you should be at about 3.5% loss if you had an average cell temp of about 25C so you are on the right sife or have slightly colder than that (or keep the SOC at or below 70% for some part of the time.)

You might see up to 5% loss or so the first year.

Your car have LFP chemistry. Having the SOC mostly above 70% and a average climat will cause about 5% calendar aging the first year.
4C0D48C9-3059-456F-9004-B2E0DC461755.jpeg

You can se actual degradation data at teslalogger.de for LFP cars.
There are two charts with LFP, they look about the same.

272 miles = 438 km

You can see the starting point and the expected degradation from other cars.

Remember that as calendar aging is dominant, the miles will not change the degradation as nuch as time. Driving less than aversge will put you below the aversge line, and vice versa.

Teslalogger seems to have double loggs in this, look at the close numer / cluster of log points starting around 438km.

At 20K km the average from that cluster is about 427 km (265 miles).

793937BC-3E17-4B8C-9A58-332E34A0FABE.png

Upvote 0
Even if LFP have low degradation per cycle or mile, the big part of the degradation will come from calendar aging.
After 6 months you should be at about 3.5% loss if you had an average cell temp of about 25C so you are on the right sife or have slightly colder than that (or keep the SOC at or below 70% for some part of the time.)

Your car have LFP chemistry. Having the SOC mostly above 70% and a average climat will cause about 5% calendar aging the first year.
View attachment 948213

272 miles = 438 km

Remember that as calendar aging is dominant, the miles will not change the degradation as nuch as time. Driving less than aversge will put you below the aversge line, and vice versa.

Teslalogger seems to have double loggs in this, look at the close numer / cluster of log points starting around 438km.

View attachment 948214
Thank you AAKEE. Very helpful!

Reactions: mark02115
Upvote 0

View attachment 948213

272 miles = 438 km

View attachment 948214
Hi,AAKEE
I got my LFP model3 on March 4th,At first it showed 439KM at 100% charge, then it turned to 437 in mid-April at about 2000km.
I started to maintain SOC below 70% since May 8th till today,now the range has dropped to 432km,4000km.
Sorry for my bad English, looking forward to your reply.

Upvote 0
Hi,AAKEE
I got my LFP model3 on March 4th,At first it showed 439KM at 100% charge, then it turned to 437 in mid-April at about 2000km.
I started to maintain SOC below 70% since May 8th till today,now the range has dropped to 432km,4000km.
Would you even notice an ICE car that had lost 7km in range with a full tank? 1.6% is nothing at all.

Reactions: atvrida92
Upvote 0
Hi,AAKEE

You most probably reduce the calendar aging to half by hacibg the SOC at 70% or less.
Just continue to do that. You also need to charge full from time to time, for the BMS.

The BMS sometimes is a bit off so it will not be absolute correct at any given moment.

It looks about as expected so nothing to worry about.

Upvote 0
You most probably reduce the calendar aging to half by hacibg the SOC at 70% or less.
Just continue to do that. You also need to charge full from time to time, for the BMS.

The BMS sometimes is a bit off so it will not be absolute correct at any given moment.

It looks about as expected so nothing to worry about.
I don't have any tools to track battery health
Tesla with LFP packs has been used in China for more than 2 years.and I observed a lot of people's comments on social media,
The max range is surprisingly consistent, roughly equals to the original number minus months of use * 0.8.
For example, a Model 3 RWD made in June 22,when it is fully charged, the max range will be 405km(425-0.8*25)

Including this post,The degradation seems completely unaffected by charging strategy, climate,and mileage.Why did this happen?

Upvote 0
The max range is surprisingly consistent, roughly equals to the original number minus months of use * 0.8.
For example, a Model 3 RWD made in June 22,when it is fully charged, the max range will be 405km(425-0.8*25)

Including this post,The degradation seems completely unaffected by charging strategy, climate,and mileage.Why did this happen?

We know LFP should wear extremely little per cycle (cyclic aging).
Calendar aging is probably about the same as we have seen in the research. Possibly just a little lower than before, from improved chemistry.

This is the two LFP graphs from teslalogger.de:
If we look at the inclination (loss of % range per driven km) its not much different from the other model 3s.

The upper picture has two clusters, starting at around 440 and 424 range (might depend on selected wheels in the menu.
Both show the same in lination and also the sign of calendar aging square root or time.

440 show 20km loss in about 40K km.
Thats 4.5%

At the same ODO the classic M3LR had 47-km out of 499km range, a about 5.5% loss.
(Look that graph up yourself if needed at teslalogger).

The graphs has lot of datapoints and tell us more than one specific car.

15AB935C-DB6A-4532-8F9D-511229F0E30B.jpeg

1DC4FAA8-180F-4634-82AF-C7F1C7E191ED.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
Upvote 0
We know LFP should wear extremely little per cycle (cyclic aging).
Calendar aging is probably about the same as we have seen in the research. Possibly just a little lower than before, from improved chemistry.

This is the two LFP graphs from teslalogger.de:
If we look at the inclination (loss of % range per driven km) its not much different from the other model 3s.

The upper picture has two clusters, starting at around 440 and 424 range (might depend on selected wheels in the menu.
Both show the same in lination and also the sign of calendar aging square root or time.

440 show 20km loss in about 40K km.
Thats 4.5%

At the same ODO the classic M3LR had 47-km out of 499km range, a about 5.5% loss.
(Look that graph up yourself if needed at teslalogger).

The graphs has lot of datapoints and tell us more than one specific car.

View attachment 956655
View attachment 956656
The above graphs combine the 55kwh and 60kwh HVB LFP M3's hence the double best fit curves. My 1.5 year old 60kwh M3 is showing 3.5 % loss after 29k miles. I charge to 100% every few days.

Upvote 0
The above graphs combine the 55kwh and 60kwh HVB LFP M3's hence the double best fit curves. My 1.5 year old 60kwh M3 is showing 3.5 % loss after 29k miles. I charge to 100% every few days.
Sure about that?

The range difference is 3.8%.
The difference in capacity is about 9.8%.

I guess the same constant for consumption apply?

This is the equivalent log for the plaid, about 637km is with the 19” selected, about 560 is the 21” selected.
IMG_4513.jpeg

Upvote 0
Sure about that?

The range difference is 3.8%.
The difference in capacity is about 9.8%.

I guess the same constant for consumption apply?

This is the equivalent log for the plaid, about 637km is with the 19” selected, about 560 is the 21” selected.
View attachment 960435
Yes, I am absolutely certain. How can there be numerous 60kwh M3 LFP RWDs that were delivered with 415-400km of displayed range? There has to be 55kwh cars mixed in. The 60kwh HVB car data points start at ~437km range and then declines along a line that centres around ~425km at 40K km.

Upvote 0
Wanted to add a datapoint, purchased my model 3 early March 2023, so I had the car for roughly ~4 months :

• Full range when bought: 273 mi
  • Odometer: 2557 miles
  • Estimated range at full charge (now): 268 mi
  • Charging practice: charge to 60% every 2 days, 100% every 2 week

So in my case, it looks like it’s mainly calendar related degradation.

• Informative
Reactions: AAKEE and DuncanM
Upvote 0
What is the truly critical range? I'll tell ya, the distance between pee stops. Does it really matter if someone in the car needs to pee before you get to 273 miles? The more passengers you have the shorter the range. And if you have kids...

So instead of worrying about range, just worry about pit stops that are also superchargers. You'll stop thinking about range entirely.

Upvote 0
It’s just 5 mile difference dude

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0