Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Realistic range Model 3 standard battery single motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here you go, completely full to completely empty at 70mph:

68mph average is a lot slower than 85mph, which is the Arizona norm (context of original question, presumably for road trips in Arizona). (Speed limits of 75mph are very typical.)

The RWD will not easily do 200 miles in those conditions without anxiety. That is 40-50% more aero loss, which will translate to very roughly 20-30% less range (exact impact of aero depends on relative contributions of normal rolling losses and static losses, which have been roughly quantified elsewhere here).

There will definitely be situations where it can, and if you want to drive slower, or you have a tail wind, of course it can do it. But that would mean some anxiety. Too much anxiety? Not sure.

And of course what is possible after a year or two is the appropriate place to set expectations.

Last edited:
68mph average is a lot slower than 85mph, which is the Arizona norm (context of original question, presumably for road trips in Arizona). (Speed limits of 75mph are very typical.)

The RWD will not easily do 200 miles in those conditions without anxiety. That is 40-50% more aero loss, which will translate to very roughly 20-30% less range (exact impact of aero depends on relative contributions of normal rolling losses and static losses, which have been roughly quantified elsewhere here).

There will definitely be situations where it can, and if you want to drive slower, or you have a tail wind, of course it can do it. But that would mean some anxiety. Too much anxiety? Not sure.

And of course what is possible after a year or two is the appropriate place to set expectations.
I covered that in post #4. I've driven my M3 for several thousand miles in AZ and NM along I8, I10 and I40 all at 80+ mph. Anyways here's some notes from a road trip on 24 Feb 2023:

Road tripping in an EV.
We needed to do a grocery run yesterday and we combined it with a drive through Columbus NM. We drove from our home to Hwy 80 and thence to Hwy 9 and Columbus, where we turned north to arrive at Denny's Restaurant in Deming. After dinner we shopped at the local giant retail outlet. We had then driven 133 miles (214km) at an average 60 mph (98kmh) and our car reported exactly 50% battery charge remaining. We were actually parked right beside an EV charging station in the Walmart parking lot, but I would have had to interrupt my shopping to unplug the car, if we charged there. After loading the groceries in the car, we decided to drive to the Electrify America (EA) charging station in Lordsburg NM, via a 63 (101km) mile drive on the I-10 at an average 82mph (133kmh, on our route home. Upon arriving at the EA station, the car reported 17% battery charge remaining, after 193 miles (311km) of driving. To charge at an EA station, you typically use an EA cellphone app: You plug the car in, tell the app which charging stall you're connected to and swipe the charge bar in the app. The app verifies your account and then starts the charge and charges the session to the credit card you have on file. We charged for exactly 13 minutes (and I 'freshened up' at the same time...), adding 21kwh of power, and went from 17% charge to 51% at a cost of $6.20usd. We then proceeded to get back on the I-10 and took the off-ramp to Hwy 338 and back to Portal AZ, after another 52 miles (84km) drive. We arrived home with 32% charge remaining. I then plugged the car into our garage's 240V (NEMA 6-20) outlet where it fully charged overnight. The total charging cost of the trip, including power consumed charging at home was about $12usd.
So on the I10 we drove 63 miles at ~82mph and dropped SOC by 33%.
Portaltodemming.jpg

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Think we should expect extreme climate regions can expect range degradation
Like with towing, plan a higher range EV purchased for those extremes
Towing, extreme cold and extreme heat
Seems to make sense

So on the I10 we drove 63 miles at ~82mph and dropped SOC by 33%.
Yep. Seems about right.

The more Superchargers there are the less of an issue this will be. How come there is not one in Show Low? It makes that portion of Arizona southeast of there completely inaccessible with an LR AWD! Had to use the Highlander.

Someday I guess. Of course no CCS ability for me, but seems pointless to pay for that now!

Last edited:
Yep. Seems about right.
I would say that speed is probably the biggest thing you can control that effects your range. I am not sure what speed on the low end is most efficient but I'm guessing it is a lot lower than anyone would want to do for a long trip. And lower than you can do on a highway. For ICE cars the efficient range is narrower and I think they usually tune it so it is near highway speeds like 55.

Yep. Seems about right.

The more Superchargers there are the less of an issue this will be. How come there is not one in Show Low? It makes that portion of Arizona southeast of there completely inaccessible with an LR AWD! Had to use the Highlander.

Someday I guess.
There's an APS/EA station in Show Low and another in Globe, so no problems if you have a CCS1 enabled Tesla and the CCS1 adapter. When we drove back to Canada from Portal AZ, we took Hwy191->Hwy 70 to Globe and charged at the EA station and then Hwy 60 through Show Low to the EA station in Winslow where we charged whilst having dinner.

We had planned to go to Roswell and head back via Socorro NM on NM Hwy 60, (stopping at the VLA) to Show Low to charge there and then to I-40, but there was snow forecast on the high altitude summits east of Show Low, so we stayed in Portal for a few more days then headed north via Winslow. I had phoned ahead to several RV campgrounds near Pie Town to ensure that we could charge via a NEMA 14-50 outlet if necessary to get to Show Low as it's 200 miles from Socorro to Show Low with some steep climbs in between.

BTW it went down to 19F (-7c) in Winslow (April 5 IIRC) where we spent the night so our efficiency was lowered a bit by cold weather.

Last edited:
While technically true, the average speed of the US06 is 48.37mph. It reaches about 80mph for a brief instant, and has a large plateau from 65-75.

The HWFET test which is used to provide the nominal HW fuel economy represents something more like driving 55mph (average is 48.3mph). Since there's a non-linear relationship between efficiency and speed it's hard to say what speed it is representative of exactly. But it's slow.

Fortunately they reduce the results by 0.7 to compensate, so it's cool. Or 0.7x depending on the results of other cycles. Extremely helpful, really helps the owner dial in on what to expect at 80mph. o_O

so no problems if you have a CCS1 enabled Tesla and the CCS1 adapter.
Lol. Yeah, just that simple, haha. I'll hope Tesla figures it out soon. Nevada has problems as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: DuncanM