Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Realistic range Model 3 standard battery single motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would refer to the many posts about range from existing owners, since they may contain real numbers.

My answer is: maybe, but maybe not.

If "highway speeds" means 75mph, probably the answer is no. If there's a headwind, very unlikely. If it's really, really hot... you'll be using A/C but so will your battery.

If the reason you're asking is because you have a very specific 200 mile commute in mind that you want to make without stopping at a fast-DC charger, then I would say this is a misguided goal. Just stop for charging... it'll probably only be 15 minutes at the charger.

If the reason you're asking is because you occasionally make a 200 mile drive through the Arizona desert and there are no chargers on that route, I'd say it's probably a really bad idea (dangerous even).

If the reason you're asking is because you or someone you know is trying to decide between a standard range and long range Model 3 - do consider degradation... they'll both have less range in 5 years than they do when brand new.

I personally don't worry about "can I get 200 miles" out of my M3LR... I just get in and let the navigation point the way. If that means stopping for fast-DC charging then the car will tell you.

As you drive, your display will show you the amount of current you are using, in real time.

Pretty easy to adjust your driving style if you need to stretch for more range (slow down).

If you are going to easily reach your destination, then feel free to speed up a bit.

If you encounter high current use due to headwinds, rain, high speed cruising etc, your display will show you which Supercharger to visit and how long you should stay.

If you are super concerned about range, then order the long range battery. Will get most of your expense back when you resell.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Realistically, what is the range of a model 3 standard battery single engine at summer highway speeds. Can you easily get 200 miles without too much anxiety?
I just finished a cross Canada road trip in my M3 RWD and previously a road trip to and from SE Arizona.

Bottom line is that the estimated range as displayed in the car is almost spot on when cruising at a steady ~60mph. As you increase speed above 60mph range will fall, and at ~80mph you'll get about 150-180 miles of range (depending on weather, temp, elevation change) before recharging with 5 to 10% indicated range left. The LFP M3 has quite a larger buffer below '0', so 5% is still a good margin.

The take away from this is that when on the freeway, you can cruise at 75-80mph and then decrease your speed to increase range if you need to stretch it a bit to get to the next charging station. I would suggest that obtaining a CCS1 to NACS adapter will increase your charging options, but always use Plugshare to scout out CCS1 charging stations to make sure they're up and running. You can add Plugshare and A Better Route Planner to your car's web browser's 'favourites' for quick access, and of course on your cell phone. Of course you should set up the needed accounts and install the needed apps on your phone ahead of time.

Realistically, what is the range of a model 3 standard battery single engine at summer highway speeds. Can you easily get 200 miles without too much anxiety?

Sure.

But that depends on your definition of highway speeds. Going 75 probably isn't going to make it. Going 65 shouldn't be that difficult.
But why worry about it, you are probably passing a Supercharger or two along the way, so should be able to charge easily.

I would refer to the many posts about range from existing owners, since they may contain real numbers.

My answer is: maybe, but maybe not.

If "highway speeds" means 75mph, probably the answer is no. If there's a headwind, very unlikely. If it's really, really hot... you'll be using A/C but so will your battery.

If the reason you're asking is because you have a very specific 200 mile commute in mind that you want to make without stopping at a fast-DC charger, then I would say this is a misguided goal. Just stop for charging... it'll probably only be 15 minutes at the charger.

If the reason you're asking is because you occasionally make a 200 mile drive through the Arizona desert and there are no chargers on that route, I'd say it's probably a really bad idea (dangerous even).

If the reason you're asking is because you or someone you know is trying to decide between a standard range and long range Model 3 - do consider degradation... they'll both have less range in 5 years than they do when brand new.

I personally don't worry about "can I get 200 miles" out of my M3LR... I just get in and let the navigation point the way. If that means stopping for fast-DC charging then the car will tell you.
I do long drives through Arizona all the time in my LFP M3. I find that it really helps to have a CCS1 adapter, to fill in the gaps between TSC stations on the freeway. For example; There's an TSC station in Deming NM and an EA station at the Walmart in Deming NM. There's an EA station at the Lordsburg Chevron, and a TSC station in Wilcox AZ and a EA station at the Walmart in Benson AZ. So if you want to drive from Tucson to Deming, and back again. the EA stations help fill in the gaps. Our winter home is in Portal AZ and the EA stations are very convenient for us. especially for shopping. From Portal to Winslow, via Hwy 60 the EA stations really help as well.

Off the freeway, the car will get it's indicated range if you cruise at ~60mph, which is the typical limit for state Hwys. However, there are some gaps in the DCFC locations (Sierra Vista comes to mind), so it's really helpful to plan ahead using Plugshare, if one decides to drive rural roads; Always keep the TMC in the car as many car dealerships will have L2 chargers and many RV campgrounds will have NEMA 14-50 outlets, (but call ahead to make sure they'll be available for EV charging).

In our 2023 M3RWD, we consistently get way above 200 miles. We have been consistently driving down and upstate New York for approx six months.
We have become huge fans of LFP for the extreme percentage range of the battery, 5% up to 100% or an est range of 260 miles. Wow.

The rated range is 272, so why are you asking?

• Disagree
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Depends on how fast you drive, the weather (wind, rain), and how much HVAC you use. But you have to drive rather uneconomically to run out after less than 200 miles on a 272 rated mile car.

In your highway driving with your current car, do you get better or worse economy than the EPA rating?

If you are asking as part of the purchase of the car I suggest trying it out on ABRP you can put in the route and the exact car and starting battery percentage and it will give you a pretty good estimate. It has various advantages/disadvantages compared to the in car navigation but it will give you good data to answer this question before you have a car.

What others have said is good, I would guess the biggest factor is speed and then temperature. The drag of air friction increases dramatically so if you can go at the lower end of highway speeds that would be best. Cold temps (< 40F) in my car are the worst but I don't have a heat pump. The car is most efficient at moderate room temps (~7x F).

Can you easily get 200 miles without too much anxiety?

Typical normal speeds on Arizona highways are around 80-85mph. So no, you will not be able to do 200 miles with very little anxiety.

Specifically with a 60.4kWh degradation threshold, you’ll need to do:

60.4kWh*0.955/200mi = 288Wh/mi

That’s very unlikely to happen at 80-85mph. (Though RWD does help get closer.) And that’s to 0% displayed (so 4.5%)!

To a more reasonable 5% displayed (car not telling you to slow down, which is annoying), you need:

60.4kWh*0.95*0.955/200mi = 274Wh/mi

After 5 years and 10% capacity loss you’ll need to do:

60.4kWh*0.9*0.95*0.955/200mi = 247Wh/mi

247Wh/mi is most definitely not happening at 80mph! Unless you have a massive consistent tailwind (possible in the desert) - but that could be a headwind too.

There will be a lot of anxiety.

It’s hard (though possible) to do 200 miles in an LR (need to do 320Wh/mi or so which is definitely possible). Definitely have easily done it on downhill stretches, but rare. Usually supercharger positioning makes it not something you’d ever get to.

Last edited:
Just to add that you probably will never need to use a third party DC fast charger or a CCS adapter, unless you're really off the beaten path. They're absolutely slow and unreliable anyway and I would never put myself in a position where I needed to use one. Even the example above from Tucson to Deming is only 133 miles, so you wouldn't use anything but a Tesla supercharger, even with a RWD (unless you had some awful combination like a roof rack loaded going 90 mph up a mountain pass).

Glad you decided on the long range, my wife and I have taken six trips so far totaling 15,000 miles and never had any issues or range anxiety.

I bought a 2019 M3 SR+ in March 2019. 100% charge was 240 90% was 216. Now I'm lucky if I get 200 at 90%. I live on Long Island east of NYC. Land is generally flat. Temperature as you can see from MCU is 79 degrees F and I set the air to 79 F. Plenty cold, If you look at that stats in the lower left I'm getting about 5 miles per kwh. My advice is don't drive like an idiot (50-60 is fine unless you're delivering a baby, etc). Coast to red lights, don't accelerate fast, if you hit a hill coast and let gravity regen the batteries, hit the accelerator on the upswing. This will ensure you get the most bang for the electron so you need SC less. BTW I pay .26/kwh charging at home. SC near me ar .44/kwh during peak. Off peak is 1-4AM!!! .10/kwh. So if you need to SC do it in the dead of night

Attachments

• 20230620_150739.jpg
    20230620_150739.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 224
Just to add that you probably will never need to use a third party DC fast charger or a CCS adapter, unless you're really off the beaten path. They're absolutely slow and unreliable anyway and I would never put myself in a position where I needed to use one. Even the example above from Tucson to Deming is only 133 miles, so you wouldn't use anything but a Tesla supercharger, even with a RWD (unless you had some awful combination like a roof rack loaded going 90 mph up a mountain pass).

Glad you decided on the long range, my wife and I have taken six trips so far totaling 15,000 miles and never had any issues or range anxiety.
Deming to Tucson is 218 miles via I10. The most convenient charging stop to get there is the lordsburg NM EA Station, as the Wilcox SC station is too close to Tucson. I've used the Lordsburg EA station many times and always got reasonable charging speeds. Occasionally there was a downed charger, so check ahead using plugshare. I've done lots of 2000 mile plus EV road trips and having a CCS1 adapter is very useful IMHO.

I don't see anything about tires... If you use energy-efficient tires (I'm using Michelin Primacy 4+) and the size is 235/45 R18 with Aero covers, your consumption at a constant speed of 75 mph (120km/h) will be 290Wh/mile. So 200 miles in that conditions = 58kWh which is more than the standard battery single motor has. But for Long Range (dual motor) this is ok. Even starting from 90% charge.

But if you decrease the speed to 55mph, your consumption with the same tires above will be around 220Wh/mile, so you will be able to travel 200+ miles. But it takes 3:30 hours instead of 2:40.

Typical normal speeds on Arizona highways are around 80-85mph. So no, you will not be able to do 200 miles with very little anxiety.

Specifically with a 60.4kWh degradation threshold, you’ll need to do:

60.4kWh*0.955/200mi = 288Wh/mi

That’s very unlikely to happen at 80-85mph. (Though RWD does help get closer.) And that’s to 0% displayed (so 4.5%)!

To a more reasonable 5% displayed (car not telling you to slow down, which is annoying), you need:

60.4kWh*0.95*0.955/200mi = 274Wh/mi

After 5 years and 10% capacity loss you’ll need to do:

60.4kWh*0.9*0.95*0.955/200mi = 247Wh/mi

247Wh/mi is most definitely not happening at 80mph! Unless you have a massive consistent tailwind (possible in the desert) - but that could be a headwind too.

There will be a lot of anxiety.

It’s hard (though possible) to do 200 miles in an LR (need to do 320Wh/mi or so which is definitely possible). Definitely have easily done it on downhill stretches, but rare. Usually supercharger positioning makes it not something you’d ever get to.

LR can definetly do 200 miles. I used to do 450km going around 110km/h usually against headwind and that was with the older 78kwh battery. But that was a deep discharge and no degradation (with aeros and 3.3 bar pressure of course hehe).

That said if there is supercharger access it makes no sense to cover such huge distance as the charging speed is vastly faster just going to 60-65%.

LR can definetly do 200 miles
Yes, as I said, it is definitely possible. Not the norm though. Depends a lot on the type of travel. You usually won’t be doing that on the wide open interstate with no traffic, for example, traveling at 80-85mph, which is very typical in SW US with low population density.

And what is possible after one year of ownership, not what is possible with a new vehicle, is applicable to most owners.