Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does my Model 3 need a new battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a 2019 Standard Range Model 3 for $29K. I have done some more research on this car and have seen that the battery is software locked to around 220 miles. However, my car when charged to 100% shows right at 200 miles or sometimes a little less. Is this normal for a 4 year old car? The car has 75,000 miles on it so would this qualify for a battery replacement from Tesla? Is it worth spending the money to "unlock" my car to be a Standard Range Plus? I think I've seen it's around a $2,000 upgrade without autopilot.

The car has 75,000 miles on it so would this qualify for a battery replacement from Tesla?

The answer to this is "Absolutely, positively, unequivocably No". The warranty is for 70% capacity to 100k miles. I believe those started at 220 miles (software lock is completely, irrelevant to that number). 70% of 220 is 154, so you will not have any battery claim with tesla at all unless your screen lights up like a christmas tree with battery errors, OR you have 154 miles showing on the screen when charged to 100%

Reactions: Rocky_H and MP3Mike
Upvote 0
I recently purchased a 2019 Standard Range Model 3 for $29K. I have done some more research on this car and have seen that the battery is software locked to around 220 miles. However, my car when charged to 100% shows right at 200 miles or sometimes a little less. Is this normal for a 4 year old car? The car has 75,000 miles on it so would this qualify for a battery replacement from Tesla? Is it worth spending the money to "unlock" my car to be a Standard Range Plus? I think I've seen it's around a $2,000 upgrade without autopilot.
9% degradation (200/220 = 0.91 or 91%) is normal. You might be able to increase range miles slightly by charging from 20% to 100% to recalibrate BMS.

Tesla battery warranty is greater than 30% degradation.

Only you can decide if extra range miles is worth $2000.

Upvote 0
Is it worth spending the money to "unlock" my car to be a Standard Range Plus?
This would unlock a 2019 SR with ~200/220 miles to ~218/240 miles, FYI.

So the unlock would take you to ~218rmi.

(~43.8kWh to ~47.7kWh; values are including buffer, so usable is 95.5% of these numbers.)

The lock is on the top, FWIW, so if you went ahead with this, you’d notice an increase in severe limited regen if you frequently charge near 100%.

Upvote 0
I purchased a 2019 Standard Range (not Plus) Model 3 back in June of this year. I was curious if anyone knows the exact kWh capacity of this software limited battery. I have seen different answers on the Standard Range Plus having a 50-55kWh battery pack, but I wanted to see if anyone knows how many kWh is “100%” on this software locked model.

Upvote 0