Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear bumper alignment issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my S for 8 months and it seems that the back bumper panel alignment has gotten worse over time. The driver side seems flush but the passenger side seems to be popping out now. Can't figure out what's happened since there's no damage at all to the bumper. Not sure if they had to remove the bumper during a past service visit. Has anyone else had this issue? Could this just be some unsnapped clips and something the service center can address?

IMG_20180806_163656.jpg

It looks like it needs to be adjusted at the edge. You can see the tip of the bumper is far too inside of the car. You can do it yourself if you want. It's a T25 bit that you can loosen a bit and push the bumper back where it belongs and tighten the screw.

There is a row of snap clips that holds that edge of the bumper in place. Looks like they popped out or one or more broke. There are fasteners along the edge of the wheel well.

Ask the service center first, they are very used to it and might be able to fix it in a jiffy.

If that doesn’t work, I can give you a step by step guide to remove the whole bumper cover to see what is going on under there...

There is a row of snap clips that holds that edge of the bumper in place. Looks like they popped out or one or more broke. There are fasteners along the edge of the wheel well.

Ask the service center first, they are very used to it and might be able to fix it in a jiffy.

If that doesn’t work, I can give you a step by step guide to remove the whole bumper cover to see what is going on under there...

Just got my rear bumper repainted after someone hit me in a parking lot and I am now experiencing this issue. Repair place, Tesla certified, isn’t being very helpful. I’d just assume fix it myself.

Do you have a guide handy? I’ve taken off bumper covers before but would like to know exactly where to pull for the 3. Thanks!

Just got my rear bumper repainted after someone hit me in a parking lot and I am now experiencing this issue. Repair place, Tesla certified, isn’t being very helpful. I’d just assume fix it myself.

Do you have a guide handy? I’ve taken off bumper covers before but would like to know exactly where to pull for the 3. Thanks!

I’ve only done this on an S. No idea about the 3. Probably better to post the question in the 3 section of TMC (this is the S section).