Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear cross beam a big issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other videos have mentioned that when the rear set is FULLY reclined tall people's heads do hit the crossbeam. Not an issue for me as I will rarely have anyone in the back seat and when i do they won't even know that the rear seat can recline :)

Reactions: liuping
Other videos have mentioned that when the rear set is FULLY reclined tall people's heads do hit the crossbeam. Not an issue for me as I will rarely have anyone in the back seat and when i do they won't even know that the rear seat can recline :)
Not to mention that a fully reclined seat (front or back in any vehicle) is not a great place to be in a collision (rear end or otherwise).

Seemingly based on videos from tall (or long torso'd) reviewers (like i1Tesla's videos), the rear headrests don't actually extend up enough to prevent your head from whipping back behind the position where it would rest normally (and thus straight into the beam).

It's hard to judge from videos, and this may only apply to people whose torsos are long enough to put their heads above the rear headrest (which would probably be unsafe on its own).

Any thoughts on this from your experience?

In this pic, the guy from i1Tesla (who I think is 6'5", so this may not be widely applicable) is sitting _I think_ without being reclined:

Imgur

20200612_145040.jpg
Had to see for myself... test drove a MY today. For sure, my head and my son's head would hit the cross bar in a rear accident in either of the two reclined positions. In the upright position, it's a non-issue. (6' and 5' 7")

The car was the performance with 19" wheels. The ride was better than the M3 I test drove before. It was also way quieter than I expected given some of the comments on this forum - quite pleasant at 65 MPH. Acceleration above 10 MPH is crazy fast (glad I'm getting the non-performance), although 0-10 was surprisingly mellow. I suspect a non-performance M3 would get a jump on the MYP. That's not important to me though.

The view out the rear window is small, but in the right place. This shot is from where my eyes normally are when driving. Cars do look closer than they actually are.

View attachment 550833

Last edited:
Why isn't the rear view mirror an LCD screen showing the camera view? That'd be a nice aftermarket upgrade.

2020 Rav 4 has it - its a really cool feature. And you can toggle optical vs camera view on it. The problem I found with it during the test drive is lack of depth perception, which became increasingly apparent when I was toggling back and forth (which I assume would be similar issue to using Tesla's camera view), so I'm not too sure how useful it is in practice for intended purpose of rear view mirror. Still, it covered overall much more of rear view than the optical mirror did, so maybe lack of depth would be something one can adjust to eventually.

In this pic, the guy from i1Tesla (who I think is 6'5", so this may not be widely applicable) is sitting _I think_ without being reclined:

Imgur
In that picture it looks like his head is basically touching the glass. I would not recommend he sit back there regardless of the headrest. Hitting a speed bump will probably cause him to hit his head on the glass.

I'm 6'1" with a fairly average torso to leg length ratio, and I have 2" above my head to the glass when sitting in the back seat. More clearance than most cars, and I have a ton of leg room, which is really nice.

If you plan on having very tall people (an I would say 6'5" is quite tall!) in your back seat regularly, I suggest a normal SUV, not a CUV like the Model Y. It is very comfortable for most people, but not for everyone.

Without reclining the seat, I find there to be plenty of headroom and legroom in the back. The lifted front seats make the rear foot room so nice.

With the seat reclined one step, it was even more comfortable, but my head would hit the cross beam if rear ended. With the seat fully reclined, my head hits the cross beam just sitting there.

I just figure the reclining seats are a nice feature for kids and there is plenty of room for two adults in the back with the seats upright.

My point was always that people should try this out for themselves. As this thread shows, people can vary quite a bit in torso length, which is what matters more when seated than overall height.

However, I still think some are missing what I was saying in the video. It's not about a comfortable seating position- it's about what your head will hit if you are rear-ended. If your head hits the crossbeam before the headrest when trying to put your head on the headrest, that's a potential safety issue. If you are sitting comfortably and can then place your head on the headrest without hitting the crossbeam, it's not likely going to be an issue in a rearend collision.

Just sitting in the seat without trying to put your head back on the headrest isn't going to tell you much about what will happen in an accident.

Teslas are by FAR the safest cars on the road. there is nothing higher than a top safety pick plus but tesla blows other cars away in safety. for every argument you make up about a particular imagined scenario where someone is hurt, their engineers can show you something else, probably in a more common accident scenario, where the tesla would protect like no other car.
Wrong! They are not the safest vehicles! Volvo still owns that crown! Tesla don’t even rollover their vehicles to demonstrate roof/pillar strength.

• Disagree
Reactions: rxlawdude