Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Drive Unit Failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 LR RWD VIN:012xxx March 2018 build
114,158 miles

For the last few months my DU was making very loud whining noises when decelerating and using regen. Multiply acceleration whine x 100 to get an idea. Very loud but intermittent and not reliably reproduced. I made a service appointment and had a tech ride with me but we could not get it to make the noise on command. Made a note.

One morning I has a message pop up after I backed out of the driveway, "power reduced, speed limited to 55mph" and "service drive unit" or some such. Well I drove the 60 mile to the service center near my work. I arrived very early and decided to uber to work. When I returned to my car to retrieve my backpack, all of the errors were gone. I started it up and drove to work and home with no problems. I shrugged it off as a software glitch.

Over the next week I felt a loss of acceleration or momentary bog as I would drive. I thought maybe the traction control was kicking in or maybe the obstacle aware acceleration setting was interfering. Nope.

Car died at the single stop light intersection of my little home town. I was blocking traffic and causing quite the stir. One helpful Bubba in a Dodge Ram passed by and yelled "Tesla Power!". Very nice.

It just shut down and refused to do anything. I tried to put it into neutral so I could move it out of the way but as soon as I opened the door it would throw it into park. I called my wife and had her bring our truck so we could pull it aside. Figured out tow mode and pushed it out of the way. Lots of messages on screen. Attached but not in order.

20220922_063829.jpg

20220922_063824.jpg

20220921_163136.jpg

I called AAA for a tow. Tow came 15 hours later. Don't get me started. This was on Thursday afternoon. I finally get it towed to Tesla Service Center in the wee hours of Friday morning 5am. The parking lot was filled and overflowing with cars. Rep says they can look at it Monday and set me off with uber credits.

9/26 I was messaged asking for $410 to diagnose, I approved.
They reached out and said the motor needed to be replaced and they would start looking for one.

10/1 Car is ready. I go pick up the car and and drive 1/2 block before there is a loud bang and the car stops moving and starts throwing alerts again.
I hear a loud rapid banging from the rear. Speedometer says I am doing 20mph but we are sitting still. Doors will not open and the car will not go into park. If you guessed that a half shaft had broken, you are correct. Tesla came and pulled it into the shop with a forklift.

It took longer to get the half shafts that the DU.

10/6 I get the car back and all is well. DU was covered under warranty and I had both half shafts replaced. They also replaced the 12v battery.

New DU part # was ASY,#DUR,MOSFET-HC (1120980-00-J)

I am very happy with the service center and staff. They fixed everything and covered most of it under warranty without issue. It also did not take as long as I feared or some of the horror stories I have heard.

Attachments

• 20221001_151206.jpg
    20221001_151206.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 59
9/26 I was messaged asking for $410 to diagnose, I approved.

10/6 I get the car back and all is well. DU was covered under warranty and I had both half shafts replaced. They also replaced the 12v battery.
Out of curiosity, did they refund the diagnosis fee? I would expect them too if the failure was exclusively caused by something under warranty.
I've only dealt with a warranty claim when I still had the "bumper to bumper" so I could be misinformed though.

Reactions: SlimJim
Out of curiosity, did they refund the diagnosis fee? I would expect them too if the failure was exclusively caused by something under warranty.
I've only dealt with a warranty claim when I still had the "bumper to bumper" so I could be misinformed though.
They did not charge the diagnosis fee. I actually did not have to pay anything. The covered it all. Very happy.