Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear driveshaft hub nut torque value?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Folks, I am a new owner with a high mileage S. I am out of warranty on my car and been googling the tick or slight clunk from power to regen or vice versa (esp when done faster).

I want to check the torque on the driveshaft hub nuts; I have the workshop manual stuff but I can't find the torque value. Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks!

Could you fix it just by tightening ?
On most cars wheel hub nut has a crush collar which you dent after tightening so it cannot unscrew.
Didn't see yet how it's done in Tesla, but had same clang issue which SC fixed by replacing axle nut and washer.
Would be good if you share your experience.

Could you fix it just by tightening ?
On most cars wheel hub nut has a crush collar which you dent after tightening so it cannot unscrew.
Didn't see yet how it's done in Tesla, but had same clang issue which SC fixed by replacing axle nut and washer.
Would be good if you share your experience.

Haven't got to this yet but it looks like there is no indentation on the end of the driveshaft to lock the nut on to the shaft via staking after torquing. Long thread so perhaps an opportunity to make a better nut that doesn't lose torque?
Screenshot_20190224-124533~2.png

What size were the hub nuts? Edit; Got it: it is 32 mm for the rears.

And did this solve your problem- did you slop some molybdenum disulphide grease on the end of the splines?

Last edited: