Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended for second time in 4 months, need some advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your theory was trying to explain why EV's would get hit more from behind, however you don't know that EV's get hit from behind more than ICE cars, so why spin up a theory based on an unproven premise? The statement from the repair center that ">80% of accident repairs they do are related to rear end collisions." says nothing about EV's having a higher rear-end collision rate by the way, and can be explained in a much more general fashion. Think about it, there are 4 major types of collisions:
1. Rear-end -> one car's front hits another car's rear
2. Head-on collision -> one car's front hits another car's front
3. T-bone -> one car's front hits another car's side
4. Backing-into something -> one car's back hits another car while backing up

For the purpose of this discussion, let's ignore the super-rare freak accidents such as when a car drives off an overpass and lands on another car. #4 is much less likely since cars spend most of their time driving in the forward direction. So while driving forward, what's in front of them? Well, either the back of another car, the front of another car, a side of another, or no car at all. What do you think is in front of an average car most often? The back of another car! Probably 80% of the time driving or higher. So, if someone was to have an accident at a random time, if 80% of the time they are facing a rear end of another car, then 80% of the random accidents will be a rear-end accident. Furthermore, head-on and t-bone collisions tend to be not-repairable more often, so it's absolutely natural that 80% (or I suspect even more) of repairable collisions are rear-end ones. Nothing to do with special driver circumstances, or brake light, purely having to do with the opportunity to hit something - most of the opportunity to hit something is to hit a rear of another car. Much simpler explanation than EV's turning off their brake lights. :)

Much simpler? Took a while to explain. :)

I guess you are right. I was thinking more of how many cars are sideswiped, hit in parking lots or Tesla's ramming something.

I guess we are no more likely to "get it in the rear" than any other vehicle.