Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Fore Toe Link Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I would just post some weekend maintenance on the Model 3 LR.

Started to get a sneaking noise from the rear a few weeks ago. When I jumped up and down on the rear passenger door frame you could hear the squeak from the wheel well. Took of the rear tyre to find the for upper fore toe link bushing having delaminated from the strut and was rubbing on the sub-frame.

Tesla wanted £150 for each link plus £300 for labour. 3rd party part from AutoDoc was £29 each. New bolts and nuts from Tesla were about £2 in total.

Attached are some images of what it looked like, plus what the old vs new link look like side-by-side. Time will only tell if it lasts the 100,000 miles the OEM one did.

IMG_6129.jpeg
IMG_7963.jpeg

Thought I would just post some weekend maintenance on the Model 3 LR.

Started to get a sneaking noise from the rear a few weeks ago. When I jumped up and down on the rear passenger door frame you could hear the squeak from the wheel well. Took of the rear tyre to find the for upper fore toe link bushing having delaminated from the strut and was rubbing on the sub-frame.

Tesla wanted £150 for each link plus £300 for labour. 3rd party part from AutoDoc was £29 each. New bolts and nuts from Tesla were about £2 in total.

Attached are some images of what it looked like, plus what the old vs new link look like side-by-side. Time will only tell if it lasts the 100,000 miles the OEM one did.

View attachment 1057041View attachment 1057042
That's interesting to be aware of. Did you do a DIY job on it or use a local garage? If DIY are there any pointers that might be helpful to pass on to others?

Just a FYI. A friend of mine bought a pair of front suspension arms from Euro Car Parts to replace his OE ones which had delaminated and they lasted about 400 miles before delaminating. They weren't even MIC (made in Germany, in fact) so I'm now of the opinion it's probably best to stick with OE parts unless you want to upgrade them to a different material (like Powerflex poly bushes) or want adjustable arms.
YMMV though, of course.

This may also help others with similar issues:
M3 arms and rear knuckle_2024 Update1 FISH BRAND.jpg

My M3 LR 2021 is still under warranty, but I have exactly the same issue and I am waiting for these parts to arrive at the SC.

If anyone notices occassional squeaking sounds over bumps, it's worth getting this checked out.

It's not always easy, but a video recording of the sounds helps to demonstrate the issue which can be attached to the service request in the app.