Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear license plate screw stripped?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same issue. One of the screws would not come put. Took it to the service center on a weekday when they were not so busy and the guy there helped me out. Took him about 20 minutes to get that screw out. It was a bit of a pain for him too.

Same for me one of the Screw on model 3 plate or the plastic inside is stripped .. So 4th screw is pretty much just sitting in there.. I hope I never have to take off that plate for any reason.. Because I think that 4th screw will give me problem..

Fwiw (I think I mentioned this before) I replaced the plastic bits with replacements from the hardware store and also added rubber washers to (ideally) keep the plate off the metal by a few millimeters. I’m using (zinc?) machine screws. Not the nicest look but works. I’ve been meaning to replace these but need to find a suitable replacement.

Speaking of the “new” plate mounting...
I *just* noticed this in the lot here at work (there is a lot of model 3s here)...

805B9A1E-A40F-4782-8BA5-28B338509EB8.jpeg

Fwiw (I think I mentioned this before) I replaced the plastic bits with replacements from the hardware store and also added rubber washers to (ideally) keep the plate off the metal by a few millimeters. I’m using (zinc?) machine screws. Not the nicest look but works. I’ve been meaning to replace these but need to find a suitable replacement.

Speaking of the “new” plate mounting...
I *just* noticed this in the lot here at work (there is a lot of model 3s here)...

View attachment 366115

Do you have a link of the replacment part from hardware store ? I might do that as well since one of it is already stripped. Thank You!

I went to Ace yesterday and found a part that fits perfectly but they were hard to find. Look in in the isle with all of the loose screws. There are a bunch of pull-out drawers with labels. There should be one called "License Plate Fasteners". Hopefully in your store you will see part "No 59700, Insert Nut for No. 8 Self-Tapping Screw Rear: Chrysler". See picture below which shows the drawer label and the bin label too.

I paired these inserts with a #10 5/8 screw from the same isle. These screws worked fine in the new insert as well as the originals without any trouble. Now that I know about this issue though, I did press down firmly on the plate and frame while screwing in the screws so that there was some friction to prevent the inserts from turning.
IMG_7723.JPG
IMG_7724.JPG

I had this problem as well. I was able to get the screws out by pressing a putty knife wrapped in a towel into the nut while I unscrewed. I pulled out the existing stripped nuts by putting the screws half way back in and pulling out with pliers. I got replacement nuts at O'Reilly Auto Parts that seem to fit fine.plate nuts.jpg

I found the simple way to remove the offending screw is to use a knife with two prongs, insert it between the plate and the plastic insert, with the fork on either side of the screw. Twist slightly which will provide pressure to the plate and also to the plastic insert.

Yes, the inserts are pathetic and should be replaced with a Rivnut...but that is the next owners problem.

images

Thanks for the info !!! Mobile Service has come out twice to replace mine...
Next time ask mobile service to stop by the BMW parts department first...lol

I measured the hole in the model 3 and it's 7mm x 7mm. The BMW part is 7mm x 7.5mm so takes a tiny bit of persuasion to get it in. I suspect the plastic used on the BMW part is not as soft as well so harder to spin it.

I went to Ace yesterday and found a part that fits perfectly but they were hard to find. Look in in the isle with all of the loose screws. There are a bunch of pull-out drawers with labels. There should be one called "License Plate Fasteners". Hopefully in your store you will see part "No 59700, Insert Nut for No. 8 Self-Tapping Screw Rear: Chrysler". See picture below which shows the drawer label and the bin label too.

I paired these inserts with a #10 5/8 screw from the same isle. These screws worked fine in the new insert as well as the originals without any trouble. Now that I know about this issue though, I did press down firmly on the plate and frame while screwing in the screws so that there was some friction to prevent the inserts from turning.
View attachment 369879 View attachment 369880
Just wanted to say thank you for this. These worked in my 2022 Model S and saved my Saturday afternoon. My local ACE Hardware had exactly what is pictured.