Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear license plate screw stripped?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We picked up a bunch of fasteners today.

Unfortunately the local OSH only had 3 of the LPF-2625U. I got those 3 and some others. The others didn’t work. We went to another OSH and picked up 5 more, enough for two sets. (We needed a few other house-fixing supplies anyhow, so it wasn’t a huge hassle. Plus we got to take the model 3 out.)

I ended up useing some flat rubber washers with the fasteners. A bit large but they almost cover up the delivery scratches.
Pic is attached.

I also bought some #8 stainless “slotted hex” machine screws. These seem to fit better than OEM but I’d like to add a fender washer of an appropriate size.

Another oddity I discovered : the holes in the trunk barely line up with the plate holes (and also the plate trim.). With the larger OEM screws the fit was (I felt) not possible as they were wider.

It looks pretty go now (I think it is straight/level), and it seems solidly attached.

Attachments

• 712993B3-BB5E-4A6B-AE4B-D598E844E32F.jpeg
    712993B3-BB5E-4A6B-AE4B-D598E844E32F.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 569
Reactions: Powered By Jay
We picked up a bunch of fasteners today.

Unfortunately the local OSH only had 3 of the LPF-2625U. I got those 3 and some others. The others didn’t work. We went to another OSH and picked up 5 more, enough for two sets. (We needed a few other house-fixing supplies anyhow, so it wasn’t a huge hassle. Plus we got to take the model 3 out.)

I ended up useing some flat rubber washers with the fasteners. A bit large but they almost cover up the delivery scratches.
Pic is attached.

I also bought some #8 stainless “slotted hex” machine screws. These seem to fit better than OEM but I’d like to add a fender washer of an appropriate size.

Another oddity I discovered : the holes in the trunk barely line up with the plate holes (and also the plate trim.). With the larger OEM screws the fit was (I felt) not possible as they were wider.

It looks pretty go now (I think it is straight/level), and it seems solidly attached.

What the heck is that line near the right grommets on your trunk?

Hopefully a branch reflection. Seriously though, scratches are why I decided to fix the grommet myself. If you do take it to the center, leave the paper tag on it so they don’t let a metal plate or frame scratch the paint.

Hopefully a branch reflection. Seriously though, scratches are why I decided to fix the grommet myself. If you do take it to the center, leave the paper tag on it so they don’t let a metal plate or frame scratch the paint.

I had the same issue with one of the bottom bolts... While trying to apply pressure I accidentally pulled the whole thing out grommet and all.. I just used pliers to unscrew the bolt and pushed the grommet back in.. I only need the top two bolts for the plate and frame..

Same problem here. 3 of the 4 didn't want to come out. I got them out, but with a few reinstallations and removals to try to eliminate vibrations and install the RPMtesla lip handle, now I can't get anything to go back on. Emailed the palo alto service center to see if they can get me some more. I think the zero emissions plate was installed with a power driver which is why the nuts just spin freely. Clearly after a few spins in the hole the plastic is going to be trashed and won't work anymore.

Slightly underengineered, but a good idea. My VW Golf had the license plate just crookedly screwed into the plastic of the rear bumper. Thankfully I used a PROPER license plate bracket and the plate was centered well enough that my new bracket and plate covered the crooked dealer-generated holes.

My rear license plate screw is stripped. I got my plate and tried to unscrew the plate frame but two of the 4 screws just turn non stop.
I also experienced two of the push-in nylon nuts spinning freely in their holes :mad: I opted for a more permanent solution and drilled out the square holes and installed ¼-20 aluminum Nutserts®.
I can confirm that Tesla's mounting holes do not align perfectly with California license plates, but a few strokes of a round-file in the holes on the plate easily fixes that. I used stainless steel tamper resistant screws to secure the license plates.
-Mark
licenseplate1.jpg

licenseplate2.jpg

licenseplate3.jpg

licenseplate4.jpg

I also experienced two of the push-in nylon nuts spinning freely in their holes :mad: I opted for a more permanent solution and drilled out the square holes and installed ¼-20 aluminum Nutserts®.
I can confirm that Tesla's mounting holes do not align perfectly with California license plates, but a few strokes of a round-file in the holes on the plate easily fixes that. I used stainless steel tamper resistant screws to secure the license plates.
-Mark

Do you have a proper Nutsert tool, or did you redneck them? Any problem with distorting the trunk sheet metal?

In fixing mine, a Tesla employee said the problem is indeed delivery-center people using power screwdrivers to attach license plates, and way overtorquing the screws.

From my invoice, the OEM part info for the nuts is:
GROM, SCR, M5 SELF TAP, 0.8-2.5, 7MM SQ (1003209-00-A)

The service people pulled out the old rounded-off nuts with long needle-nose pliers, being very careful not to scratch the paint when gripping the nut face.

• Informative
Reactions: Eno Deb
D4F9A35E-D7DC-4EB4-851A-3642261604B9.jpeg
In fixing mine, a Tesla employee said the problem is indeed delivery-center people using power screwdrivers to attach license plates, and way overtorquing the screws.

From my invoice, the OEM part info for the nuts is:
GROM, SCR, M5 SELF TAP, 0.8-2.5, 7MM SQ (1003209-00-A)

The service people pulled out the old rounded-off nuts with long needle-nose pliers, being very careful not to scratch the paint when gripping the nut face.

Had my grommets strip out as well...waiting for mobile service to fix. Had a buddy who just took delivery and they are now adding a different mounting plate to the trunk, the license plate then mounts to the mounting plate. Wondering if I can get the mobile service guy to mount this instead of the grommets alone.

View attachment 364724

Had my grommets strip out as well...waiting for mobile service to fix. Had a buddy who just took delivery and they are now adding a different mounting plate to the trunk, the license plate then mounts to the mounting plate. Wondering if I can get the mobile service guy to mount this instead of the grommets alone.

I need that!! That should have came with the car in the first place.

I guess it wasn't just me. 1/4 inserts spins in place, took about 15 minutes to get the stupid temp tags off.

I hated scheduling a service center appointment for it but hopefully they'll just send someone out.

But I got my tags 3 weeks after pickup, so there's that.

Same issue with one anchor, service center used a scribe with a right angle bend on the tip to reach behind the temp tag and hold the anchor from spinning and the screw came out. they then popped the anchor out and popped a new one in.
took the guy 2 minutes, it was obviously a practiced move.

....they are now adding a different mounting plate to the trunk, the license plate then mounts to the mounting plate...

That looks like it has a completely different to-the-trunk-sheet-metal mounting strategy.

The holes for mounting the plate seem to be in the “groove” on the sheet metal.
Are the four corner holes in the trunk even used?

It would seem that adding the plate would require drilling new holes for it. This seems like a project.
(But it does look way more finished.)