Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear motor failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just happend to me this week.
As others already reported the incident happens suddenly without and warning sign before.
Luckily I was on a side road only driving 30lm/h.
However, the experience was very shocking because the break-down happened suddenly.
The warning sign came up and the rear wheels stopped.
I had no chance to drive to a safe position. The car stopped in the middle of the road.

The tesla imergancy central was not very helpful. They were friendly but pretty much useless.
I had to organize the tow truck over my regular insurance company.

What will happen if you have this in the middle of a highway driving 120 km/h?
I am not sure if I would be safe as there is literaly no time to react at all. THE CAR STOPS WITHIN SECONDS!

The car is now in the service center. They have to replace the whole rear motor.
But honestly I am very nervous right now. Is it safe to drive a Model Y in a highway?
Do I have to expect a sudden break-down at any time without any warning sign?

Also the response from the service center did not realy help to relax: "It can happen. Things sometimes do break" :eek: WTF.
Welcome to the forums!

I think there was a batch of cars that this happened to, and since that a/
Just happend to me this week.
As others already reported the incident happens suddenly without and warning sign before.
Luckily I was on a side road only driving 30lm/h.
However, the experience was very shocking because the break-down happened suddenly.
The warning sign came up and the rear wheels stopped.
I had no chance to drive to a safe position. The car stopped in the middle of the road.

The tesla imergancy central was not very helpful. They were friendly but pretty much useless.
I had to organize the tow truck over my regular insurance company.

What will happen if you have this in the middle of a highway driving 120 km/h?
I am not sure if I would be safe as there is literaly no time to react at all. THE CAR STOPS WITHIN SECONDS!

The car is now in the service center. They have to replace the whole rear motor.
But honestly I am very nervous right now. Is it safe to drive a Model Y in a highway?
Do I have to expect a sudden break-down at any time without any warning sign?

Also the response from the service center did not realy help to relax: "It can happen. Things sometimes do break" :eek: WTF.
how many KMs on your car?

Mine has been shuddering/surging for a while now. Feels like power is being cut for a split second. If I press hard on the accelerator (which causes the front motor to kick in) then the issue is lessened. Most problematic between 30 and 40 mph. No errors goes back to the SC next week. I currently have 11k on it.

I have also noticed an intermittent sound from the rear which sounds like bass from the subwoofer but the audio is completely off.

my Model X just died that way this weekend, rear engine died, had to pull over immediately, the car said you could still drive but was not driveable... any statistics out the on how common this is?
@Jaime819 Model X of any generation uses different rear motor I believe, best to ask about that in the Model X forums. And specify exactly what kind of Model X you have, as well as its build month.