Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Passenger leather on leather noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I’d poll the group here to See if anyone has experience this... when driving over bumps or anything where the car is uneven , I get a noise that sounds to be leather on leather rubbing.

I’ve tried the rear seats in different recline positions, folding the seats down in all configurations (ie left up right down, right up left down, all down), driven with the arm rest down, tired the head rest in the middle up, seatbelts clicked in And I still will hear this noise. I also find when someone is back there, the noise goes away. But I can’t figure out.

Does anyone have any similar experience? Any fix ideas?

Thanks!

hi since nobody has answered you - I will. Its a known issue. According to my service center in Princeton NJ USA - the manager advised that they have different skins that they can place on the seats to avoid that noise - but at an additional cost. Also -- they could try to put spacers in. I had it early on and approached the SC and that how I got this info. The noise basically went away. Maybe yours will also. I was also told that the rear seats were off height wise in teh back to avoid this noise from happening. I dont know what to believe - it may be Tesla 'management by teenager' making stuff up - however - yes Ive ha that noise.

hi since nobody has answered you - I will. Its a known issue. According to my service center in Princeton NJ USA - the manager advised that they have different skins that they can place on the seats to avoid that noise - but at an additional cost. Also -- they could try to put spacers in. I had it early on and approached the SC and that how I got this info. The noise basically went away. Maybe yours will also. I was also told that the rear seats were off height wise in teh back to avoid this noise from happening. I dont know what to believe - it may be Tesla 'management by teenager' making stuff up - however - yes Ive ha that noise.
Awesome, thanks for the info... do you have a precise location as to where the noise is coming from? If I can pinpoint it, I don’t mind doing a DIY solution.

I thought I’d poll the group here to See if anyone has experience this... when driving over bumps or anything where the car is uneven , I get a noise that sounds to be leather on leather rubbing.

I’ve tried the rear seats in different recline positions, folding the seats down in all configurations (ie left up right down, right up left down, all down), driven with the arm rest down, tired the head rest in the middle up, seatbelts clicked in And I still will hear this noise. I also find when someone is back there, the noise goes away. But I can’t figure out.

Does anyone have any similar experience? Any fix ideas?

Thanks!
Just thought I'd share my recent post in the UK section of the forum as your post popped up as a "similar thread". I had pretty much the identical issue in my China made 2021 Model 3 and after 4 visits to Tesla Service I gave up on them. I spent a few days diagnosing it myself and found a fix. Here's a link to my thread: MIC Model 3 Rear Seat Rattle Fix

Hope it helps!

Just thought I'd share my recent post in the UK section of the forum as your post popped up as a "similar thread". I had pretty much the identical issue in my China made 2021 Model 3 and after 4 visits to Tesla Service I gave up on them. I spent a few days diagnosing it myself and found a fix. Here's a link to my thread: MIC Model 3 Rear Seat Rattle Fix

Hope it helps!
Omg thank so much. I’m going to give this a go!

Reading this thread this morning reminded me I'd purchased 303 Rubber seal protectant for my other car several months back. It hadn't occurred to me to try it on my MY hatch as I usually listen to audio books when I drive and the squeaks had rarely bothered me. They were annoying at times but not to the point I felt the need to disassemble too far and risk making things worse. So I lubed up the hatch seals with the 303 and went for a drive and was pleasantly surprised! It virtually eliminated the squeaks I had been attributing to something in the rear seat or hatch itself but hadn't gotten around to pursuing. I hope it holds up for a while :).

By the way, when I bought it on Amazon in October it was $18.98 now the same size is $37.04! Crazy but if it keeps working I'll buy it again when needed.
Consider this I posted in another thread yesterday too....