Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle mystery-- can you solve it!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a MYLR 2023, which has a very annoying creak/pop rattle sound (see video). This sound vanishes when the middle seat is folded down and it vastly diminishes when someone is sitting in the back seat.

I have tried wrapping the metal peg from the rear left seat that latches to the middle seat with electrical tape. This didn't work. I also tried putting a cloth between the middle seat leather and the adjacent rear seats (in case it was the leather rubbing together). This did nothing either. As usual, the SC is stumped and is giving me all this crap about how it's normal.

Thank you all so much for any help you can provide. I drive around with my middle seat down 100% of the time to avoid this sound... Not cool for a $50k car.

Video of rattle:

Tough gremlin to hunt. Don’t see the left seat belt. Try deduction. Lower one seat at a time to find the culprit. Also try reclining the seats back to see if there is a change. From there you will offer the SC a more focused target. Not fun but solvable.

I know you've mentioned it gets better if the middle seat is folded down. If it's not your seatbelt try the following to see if you can pin it down more (I just went through weeks of trying to find a rattle / squeak).

Fold down the center armrest only, not the whole center seat.
Extend and lock the center headrest in the up position.
Can do the same for the L and R seats if you'd like.
Can also completely remove all rear headrests.
Try changing the recline of the rear seats

The better you can specifically replicate, the better chance you have at getting help from Tesla (if you need it).

Stick a bit of fuel hose in your ear. say two or three feet of it ... and probably something a teensy bit wider than fuel hose

Get someone else to drive the vehicle and then move the hose around near where you think the noise is coming from. When you get close, it'll get louder

You're probably rolling your eyes now, but you won't be when you give this a try

Stick a bit of fuel hose in your ear. say two or three feet of it ... and probably something a teensy bit wider than fuel hose

Get someone else to drive the vehicle and then move the hose around near where you think the noise is coming from. When you get close, it'll get louder

You're probably rolling your eyes now, but you won't be when you give this a try
At first I thought you were joking but that is actually a valid tip. Similar to putting the handle end of a screw driver to your ear to listen like a stethoscope.

That's a good tip. Like an automotive stethoscope.

Yes, and I have an automotive stethoscope

1704381656176.png

and have used it many times to solve plumbing leaks in the house. It's a very useful tool, but ffs don't drop the pointy bit when you have the things in your ears !!!!!!!!

• Funny
Reactions: Mike_TV
Sounds like I've fixed it already:

The middle seat is notorious, took me forever to realize there was even a stupid pole.

Do this: hold the middle seat and shake it and try to see if it jostles ever so slightly. Then take it down, and add tape to the middle pole, slap it back in, and then shake it again. It should be very stiff once you've added enough tape (and it should still open of course).

It got rid of 90% of the annoying sounds for me.

Reactions: EASpot
When the rear seat squeaks/shakes and vanishes when the seat is folded down, it's most likely this stupid condom / plastic sock thing that comes off over time:

Contrary to what he says in the video, don't just put it back on. It will come off again. Instead, wrap a single layer of gaff or duck tape around the metal stick and slide the plastic on so that it is difficult (but not impossible) to put on or pull off - this will prevent it from slipping off in the future. Afterwards, apply the washer fix to the sides of the seats to prevent them from vibrating.

He 3d printed his. I just bought this set: Amazon.com

Also, a tip: While this is a relatively easy fix, take care when unbolting the seats. It is possible to drop the bolts into the metal frame, where upon you will hate life.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Yelobird
When the rear seat squeaks/shakes and vanishes when the seat is folded down, it's most likely this stupid condom / plastic sock thing that comes off over time:

Contrary to what he says in the video, don't just put it back on. It will come off again. Instead, wrap a single layer of gaff or duck tape around the metal stick and slide the plastic on so that it is difficult (but not impossible) to put on or pull off - this will prevent it from slipping off in the future. Afterwards, apply the washer fix to the sides of the seats to prevent them from vibrating.

He 3d printed his. I just bought this set: Amazon.com

Also, a tip: While this is a relatively easy fix, take care when unbolting the seats. It is possible to drop the bolts into the metal frame, where upon you will hate life.
That’s a Model 3. We’re talking about a Model Y. Good video though.