Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear seat squeak solved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a really annoying metal sound squeak coming from the second row seats. At first I thought it was from the hinge assembly, because it only squeaks when the rear seat is folded down.

Rather than taking it to service, I decided to look for the issue myself, maybe even fix it if it's a loose bolt or something easy.
Took apart the bench, which was really easy, and apart from finding lots of tags and unclipped wires, nothing apparent.

So I went for the seat back, which was also easy to take off (just grab and carefully pull up). Took all of a few seconds to take off.

And there it was. A loose bolt. Which, when tightened, along with its sibling on the other side, holds a metal U-shaped frame onto some metal seat pegs of some sort. When loose, allows the frame to slide up and down (bare metal on bare metal) on the steel pegs, making a horrendous squeak. I suspect many will have this problem especially since it seems so easy to loosen by itself.

Hoping this will help other people who come across the metal-on-metal squeak in the back seat, who might also think the problem is coming from the folding pivot mechanism (its not!).

Attachments

• 8B120DB7-360D-44D5-8FC6-85DE3DB5455D.jpeg
    8B120DB7-360D-44D5-8FC6-85DE3DB5455D.jpeg
    424 KB · Views: 5,623
Last edited:
I didn’t remove the headrest. Just lowered the second row seat down, grabbed the black felt near the headrest and started pulling up carefully. There are a LOT of plastic clips holding the back in place. So much, that when putting it back, one fell out of the socket and I had to take the back off again. I knew they fell off because the seat started rattling when I lifted the seat back up.

After seeing so many wires not routed and placed into the plastic clips, and seeing how easy it is to take apart, (not to mention the rubber bands for tension) I’d say these cars were put together in haste.

i am starting to have second thoughts about ordering a 2021 Y. Seems like these things are just slapped together by incompetent workers who are in a hurry to get them built. For 50k plus i expect better build quality.

Reactions: Darblish
*A different kind of company. A different kind of car.*

Sure, the car probably was slapped together as quickly as possibly to get it out the door. We hold this truth to be self-evident. I went in knowing that I was buying an expensive tech-centric professionally built kit-car. If that bothers you, don't buy it. Tesla quality will take some more time to improve, but its not anytime soon. Mach-E, Id.4, plenty of other cars that give you what you want. I don't even mean that in a bad way. Those cars will have the build quality-they'll at least have the panel gaps and smooth paint. They may lack a few things Teslas have, but no car is perfect.

*A different kind of company. A different kind of car.*

Sure, the car probably was slapped together as quickly as possibly to get it out the door. We hold this truth to be self-evident. I went in knowing that I was buying an expensive tech-centric professionally built kit-car. If that bothers you, don't buy it. Tesla quality will take some more time to improve, but its not anytime soon. Mach-E, Id.4, plenty of other cars that give you what you want. I don't even mean that in a bad way. Those cars will have the build quality-they'll at least have the panel gaps and smooth paint. They may lack a few things Teslas have, but no car is perfect.
They have already shown that Mach-E had the same panel gaps and issues as the Tesla’s. For that matter you can look at any new car and find issues. Only difference with Tesla, people go out of their way to find the issues on something arbitrary. If it is a major panel alignment or something I totally understand. If your taking calipers to inspect your car for delivery, that’s going to far in my opinion. People keep going on about if I’m buying a $50k car. What car isn’t $50k anymore.