Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear seat warmers not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's saying 48 amps now on the 64 anp output setting-80 amp circuit. That's the highest? Why does it have 80A/100 breaker as an option in the chart?

Remember the car will only charge at 80% of the line run. The 3 was designed for a 60a/48 charge. Modex X and S charge at a higher limit (72a with the older S models at 80a). Also 100amps is good future proofing if you want to install a second charger down the line (as they can share a 100amp line). 48a on the 3 is plenty fast.

See this chart, it shows the 3 maxing on a 60amp (48amp charge) line: Wall Connector

Reactions: docdeb27
And you can have 2, 3, or 4 HPWCs on the same circuit load sharing. I have two on a 100 amp circuit, maxing at 80 amps. So we can charge two cars at 40 each. Or my X at 72. Or the 3 at 48.

Flexibility is good. But if you are ever only going to have one car and you know what that car is going to be, then you can wire it for say 40 amps (32 used) etc. Up to you how much future proofing you want to do!

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Remember the car will only charge at 80% of the line run. The 3 was designed for a 60a/48 charge. Modex X and S charge at a higher limit (72a with the older S models at 80a). Also 100amps is good future proofing if you want to install a second charger down the line (as they can share a 100amp line). 48a on the 3 is plenty fast.

See this chart, it shows the 3 maxing on a 60amp (48amp charge) line: Wall Connector
Where did you get that? I have the book that came with the charger and that is not in it nor is it in the manual I neurotically printed ?

Where did you get that? I have the book that came with the charger and that is not in it nor is it in the manual I neurotically printed ?

It's in the link on Tesla's website I provided. The max charge rate is based on the individual car. When you connect to a charger the car will set its charge rate based on what's available. There is no harm if the max available is more then the car (but the car will limit its charge if the max is less then the car can handle). Think of it more as going to an all you can eat buffet - you won't eat more then you can handle....

Reactions: docdeb27
Ok. So since I have a Nema also on another breaker I'll just leave this as is. I'm getting the max and already have a backup for problems or in case 2 cars want to charge. Thanks so much. None of this was in the book they sent with the charger-the 3 wasn't out when they produced it. Thanks for the correct info. I appreciate it.